• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I have owned an 8" blued Python, a Smith & Wesson 686, Taurus 605 and now a factory DAO Stainless GP-100 with a 3" Barrel. I really love the Ruger. It has an amazing trigger and is very accurate.
    GP100Tucker2.jpg
    Texas SOT

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I have my father's (God keep him) fairly minty S&W Mod 66 (no dash), but I never shoot it. I'd be mortified if I were to destroy it with a fluke over-charged round or something like that. It is nice, though...

View attachment 375460
    <>
    ’they are MADE TO SHOOT !

Just use .38Spl and shoot it often.

I had to laugh at Dallas Grandson, a Mechanical Engineer: I had McBride’s Pistol Smiths at Austin change everything not numbered in Dad’s old WWII Colt 1911, & gave it to him.

He was carrying a G19 and didn’t use the Colt. I had to specifically tell him that the 1911 was excellent for defense, and very reliable with “ball” ammo.

leVieux

Poohgyrr

Feb 10, 2019
    South Central Texas
    <>
    Yes, we have S&W’s, too.
    But, if my life depended on one gun, I’d pick the Python EVERY TIME !
    leVieux
    Colts are neat, and the Python certainly has a long good reputation.. :) But for whatever reason, Smith’s have always shot better for me. Plus, Colt’s cylinders rotate backwards, and that messes up my foggy old brain. ;)

justmax

Well-Known
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Old man's EDC
    Model 38, residing in a front pocket w/Sticky for 10+ years and going ...

View attachment 382370
    Ditto, but I have you by about 20 more years. Only difference is all of my small revolvers wear Barami Hip Grips. I have come to where this in my pocket or on my hip is just part of getting dressed, and often forget about it. I find myself getting another weapon when I feel the need for a gun.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Ditto, but I have you by about 20 more years. Only difference is all of my small revolvers wear Barami Hip Grips. I have come to where this in my pocket or on my hip is just part of getting dressed, and often forget about it. I find myself getting another weapon when I feel the need for a gun.
    <>

I’m 80 next month, May.

But I do have a very similar rig, a Scandium J-frame in an Uncle Mike’s sticky pocket sleeve, w/ a couple speed-loaders for the other pocket.

I use it to travel, one J-frame in the high OWB cross-draw anti-carjacker job, other in pocket.

Carry-on. . . . . but, are you really 99 years old now ?

justmax

Well-Known
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    <>

I’m 80 next month, May.

But I do have a very similar rig, a Scandium J-frame in an Uncle Mike’s sticky pocket sleeve, w/ a couple speed-loaders for the other pocket.

I use it to travel, one J-frame in the high OWB cross-draw anti-carjacker job, other in pocket.

Carry-on. . . . . but, are you really 99 years old now ?

I meant that I have been carrying a J frame in my pocket for about 30 years, 20 more than the 10 you stated.

Happy early birthday wishes! I will be 66 in June.

Disregard the timeline part of above. Thatr should have been aimed at @karlac My Bad!

justmax

Well-Known
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Old man's EDC
    Model 38, residing in a front pocket w/Sticky for 10+ years and going ...

View attachment 382370

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Totally inspired by that perfect 1911 thread (https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/the-perfect-1911-pistol.102186/)

What features would you take from any revolver to make your ultimate .357/.38 revolver?

I would have to say the S&W 65, 65-1, 65-2, 66, 66-1 are all about perfect. While the classic K frame isn't up to the task of a steady diet of full house .357's like a Gp100 or 686, a K frame, square butt, 4" barrel can still handle a decent amount of the hot stuff, while keeping weight at a minimum.

View attachment 342927
    For long range shooting this pistol works for almost every shooter. An old model Blackhawk 357 on a Brass Ruger Super Blackhawk gripframe with super blackhawk trigger and hammer both stoned and shimmed. stellrod casing and ribbed barrel with Leupold 2.5x click adjustable scope on Leupold mount. Grips are fake ivory with signed one of a kind Hawk scrimshaw. I bought the gun in 1971 and did the modifications over the years as my eyes got worse.

Attachments

• Ruger (2).jpg
      Ruger (2).jpg
      265.1 KB · Views: 42

Niv

Aug 27, 2023
    Spring, TX
    Perfect for me is the 2020 python with a trigger job and wilson sights. Don't think there is a better revolver except an old school korth. Most practical perfect carry revolver for me is certainly the Smith model 66-3 or a 65 if the rear sight is true.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Perfect for me is the 2020 python with a trigger job and wilson sights. Don't think there is a better revolver except an old school korth. Most practical perfect carry revolver for me is certainly the Smith model 66-3 or a 65 if the rear sight is true.

Welcome to the Forum!

Top Bottom