• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    could i stop you from doing it if you wanted to do it in private? what is the difference.....i tend to focus on things i can control

you putting holes thru a piece of paper with my picture, or anybody elses picture is really insignificant in the bigger picture part of life
    Lynx Defense

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    could i stop you from doing it if you wanted to do it in private? what is the difference.....i tend to focus on things i can control

you putting holes thru a piece of paper with my picture, or anybody elses picture is really insignificant in the bigger picture part of life

Very true. Like I said, it's the discussion at hand that has me engaged. usually I read things like this and thin, "hmmm", and move on. It's seeing a comment on the issue that begs the question why, that gets me sucked in.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    MBA, unless and until we get confirmation that DHS and/or other LE agencies are actually using these targets (so far all we know is that the same company that provides to DHS makes these targets), all you're gonna GET is speculation and hypothetical explanations. So please, do yourself a favor, and just sit back, relax, and listen to the possible explanations. Maybe it'll enlighten you to new ways of thinking/training.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Okay informal poll

Who all here has taken formal training?
    Who all has really thought about would it would take to end another humans life?
    Who all here has read, researched, and investigated why military trained troops have a such a differing shot to hit/kill ratio throughout history?
    Who all here understands that humans have an incredible aversion to killing another human?

MindBeyond my reasons are NOT hypothetical, they are backed up by research. Officers and Military members must be highly trained to be efficient with their shots, mentally ready to incapacitate the threat while making the split second decision to shoot or not shoot.

Given the track record of LEO shootings, I have no problem with these targets. Again, these types of targets have been around ages. How do you feel about "school" targets like the ones below? Should we not prepare LEO's for this situation?

le-43.jpg

le-44.jpg

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    MBA, unless and until we get confirmation that DHS and/or other LE agencies are actually using these targets (so far all we know is that the same company that provides to DHS makes these targets), all you're gonna GET is speculation and hypothetical explanations. So please, do yourself a favor, and just sit back, relax, and listen to the possible explanations. Maybe it'll enlighten you to new ways of thinking/training.

Rather they are or aren't using them isn't the issue. I am trying to understand why some of you are ok with it. I'm not gonna shoot a good reason down just because it's in favor and I'm open to learning things that may change my perspective in this case. I do, however, seriously doubt anybody can come up with a good reason why this is ok. The best one so far states to train for everything but if that's the case, why aren't there targets of extra terrestrials? Seems a little out there, but I would have thought a pregnant woman target was out there. Like I said, maybe this is true, maybe it's not. I'm just shocked that some would be ok with this.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    when i was on active duty - and we'd go to the range - after qualifying - we would have a little fun by putting two silhouette targets together -in a hostage taker/hostage fashion.....exposing just the shoulder area of the target behind the one in front of it

it was really just a skills competition to see who could shoot the hostage taker without shooting the front silhouette that was fully exposed

it would have been more realistic had we had targets with actual faces or actual pictured targets...

i go back to the shootout in Miami that the FBI was involved in years ago - i think two agents lost their lives that day. They had been previously trained at the range to collect their spent ammo and line up the cartridges as some form of accountability of the spent brass

after the shootout was all done - one of the agents had collected and lined up his brass, just as if he were at the range.

training is routine and becomes redundant...people lose interest because its the same training scenario every 3 months. training officers are always looking for ways to shake things up and make the thought process different than previous training rotations. we live in a crazy world - weird things happen from sources we dont usually expect

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Okay informal poll

Who all here has taken formal training?
    Who all has really thought about would it would take to end another humans life?
    Who all here has read, researched, and investigated why military trained troops have a such a differing shot to hit/kill ratio throughout history?
    Who all here understands that humans have an incredible aversion to killing another human?

MindBeyond my reasons are NOT hypothetical, they are backed up by research. Officers and Military members must be highly trained to be efficient with their shots, mentally ready to incapacitate the threat while making the split second decision to shoot or not shoot.

Given the track record of LEO shootings, I have no problem with these targets. Again, these types of targets have been around ages. How do you feel about "school" targets like the ones below? Should we not prepare LEO's for this situation?

le-43.jpg

le-44.jpg

I agree they should be prepared in all areas. My question is can't they train to address all situations in general by training to respond to the situation in question without specifying the perp? Do they need to train with these targets so that they wouldn't freeze up in a situation with a pregnant woman? My thinking is that a LEO would respond the same in these situations regardless who is pointing the gun. Just the fact that they are coming under fire. Obviously I am a civilian who has NOT had to take another persons life, as far as your pole goes, but I believe that as a LEO I would still not want to train with these targets. When training with weapons, you don't put a pregnant belly suit on a manikin or practice with a child sized dummy "just in case".

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    MBA, have you actually read the entire thread yet? If so, you'd have the answer(s) to your question of why some of us are OK with it. Personally, I don't give a shit one way or the other if you're OK with it, so long as you understand why we're OK with it.

@ Gramps: To answer that poll: #1: No, I haven't had any formal training. #2: Yes, I have thought about what it'd be like to kill another person, and FWIW I'm fairly certain I wouldn't sleep for a few days after the fact, and it may even drive me to drink. #3: I haven't done any in-depth research, but with what I know of psychology, I can see why that would be an issue. #4: And yes, I'm pretty sure we all understand that last one.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    MBA, have you actually read the entire thread yet? If so, you'd have the answer(s) to your question of why some of us are OK with it. Personally, I don't give a shit one way or the other if you're OK with it, so long as you understand why we're OK with it.

@ Gramps: To answer that poll: #1: No, I haven't had any formal training. #2: Yes, I have thought about what it'd be like to kill another person, and FWIW I'm fairly certain I wouldn't sleep for a few days after the fact, and it may even drive me to drink. #3: I haven't done any in-depth research, but with what I know of psychology, I can see why that would be an issue. #4: And yes, I'm pretty sure we all understand that last one.

Read most but not all. I'd go back and read the rest but I think I'll just let it go right here since I clearly don't understand the reasons that I did read.

cherrick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    ...would James Holmes, Adam Lanza, Eric Harris, Dylan Clebold, Seung-Hui Cho, Aly Syed, Jeffery Johnson, and many other shooters fit the traditional role? ...

Yep.

Male.
    Young.
    Goth (several).
    Armed.

Dead nuts fit on the "traditional" role. Not female, not old, not pregnant, not "blue-hair".

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom