• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you have LTC/carry/shooting insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 83 51.9%
    • No

Votes: 77 48.1%

• Total voters

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    And do you take out insurance on every electronic device you buy or every thing you get at a big box store and they offer it ? Well you should because you might need it.

Better cover the pets too never know if they will get sick.

the list goes on and on and the insurance programs love you for it.
    Yeah but if a dog gets sick you can always get a new dog. if your electronics break just buy another one... these types of expenses usually dont break the bank... however if you shoot someone not only are you at risk of going to jail (if found to be unlawful use of deadly force) or if you're found in the right and no charges are pressed, you're still at risk to lose EVERYTHING you own via a civil suit filed by the badguy/idiot/would-be criminal's family. and even if you win theres still the thousands and thousands of dollars worth of legal fees.... I think having some form of conceal carry insurance is a good idea... I would like to get some but I'm still shopping around. not really sure what i want yet...

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I think the big picture is the retainer in a civil case, whether or not it's a good shoot. Starts around $200k from what I understand.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the big picture is the retainer in a civil case, whether or not it's a good shoot. Starts around $200k from what I understand.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Seems the civil is what most people overlook. From what I've heard these can become nightmares real quick. Even though the shooting was completely justified.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    . Even though the shooting was completely justified.

While you will still need to go to court if sued, there does seem to be some relief in a justified shooting in Texas.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CP/htm/CP.83.htm

CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE

TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT
    CHAPTER 83. USE OF FORCE OR DEADLY FORCE
    9, Penal Code,

A defendant who uses force or deadly force is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 235, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
    Amended by:
    Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1 (S.B. 378), Sec. 4, eff. September 1, 2007.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I did not know that.

carry "insurance" is still good to have for unjust shootings though. you know, self-offense situations.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    You first need to get past the legal system before civil immunity applies.

Don’t assume the ease (or underestimate the difficult) you’ll have just to avoid getting charged and/or convicted.

Someone needs to navigate you thru this, from your initial contact with the PoPo onward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    Personally I am just happy to have someone to call at 3am when the police want to question me and all I have is a wild guess and The Yellow Pages. I'm honestly not expecting a shooting inside our home or vehicle of an intruder to go to trial. I'm even more doubtful I will be involved in a shootout in public, but if it does then I'll come up with the $10,000 I'll need to get started with another attorney, if I feel TLS is not up to snuff.

Amen! A few bucks a month for some peace of mind is a good deal for me. I'm new to Texas and while I have made some friends in my short time here, there aren't many folks I could call in such a situation who would have the foggiest idea of how best to preserve my rights, much less get me out of jail. Having a lawyer experienced in defending me after a DGU just a phone call away is one less worry during a stressful and life changing event.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    After a DGU, it’s more important than ever to not talk to the police.

However, at some point someone has to tell your side of the story. And that someone is a lawyer, not you.

If you haven’t seen this, it worth the time to listen. Talking to the police will not help you. It can not help you.

Spending the night in jail waiting for legal counsel, is way better than potentially spending your life in jail.

But your right to silence must be invoked.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    After a DGU, it’s more important than ever to not talk to the police.

It’s hard to get a room full of lawyers to agree on anything. But THE one thing they all agree on, is telling the police you were in fear for your life and that you invoke your right to remain silent and want to speak to your attorney immediately. And then comes the most difficult part for some people: STFU!

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    A lot of folks were brought up to respect the police. Nothing wrong with that. But, when you have been involved in a self defense shooting, believe me, they are NOT your friends! Tell them briefly that you feared for your life, that's why you had to use your weapon, ask for legal help, and then say no more!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A lot of folks were brought up to respect the police. Nothing wrong with that. But, when you have been involved in a self defense shooting, believe me, they are NOT your friends! Tell them briefly that you feared for your life, that's why you had to use your weapon, ask for legal help, and then say no more!

For sure.
    I’ve been raised to respect LEOs.
    I have a lot of LEO friends.

But anything you say to the cops in a criminal investigation literally can’t be used to help you.

The Supreme Court even says people are basically foolish not to invoke their 5th amendment rights. That’s saying something.

Invoking the right to silence can’t be portrayed as “bad” to a jury.

But saying nothing and not invoking this right can be, and that was news to me.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I am from a cop family and they all say your a fool if you say anything other than LAWYER, I was in fear for my life. I guess you can also toss in name rank and S/N

There is nothing you can say to help your cause and anything you say can be twisted/used against you so STHU

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I also have TLS. Covers more than just if you are involved in a shooting, which would be the worst event. The cost to defend yourself from even some small infraction is worth a decade of premiums at least. A shooting defense will probably bankrupt most people.

Top Bottom