• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    BTW....if anyone needs it I still have some 38 special match-grade ammo available - 148 gr. PM me for details/pricing - PROMISE you it's cheaper than you can buy it for even w/o this shortage. Just don't need as much as I have.
    ARJ Defense ad

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I'd wager a few ammo sellers are getting shipments, then marking them 'sold' (to a certain Mr. Smith), then selling them on Gunbroker for a premium. But karma will likely catch up to them at some point.

But when ammo comes in, it's gone in minutes. Last reasonable 7.62x39 I saw posted was gone in less than 4 minutes.

decadude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Denton, TX
    It is a free market. There is no "interrupting the supply chain", if I buy ammo and resell it. Regardless of what price I sell for.

Or we could let Obama appoint a "ammo control czar" and pass a bunch of laws to control this.

How about we leave the free market alone?

Criminal, Good grief.

Amen it seems the only people pissed at the ammo situation are those that don't have any ammo. Quit complaining and be prepared. Its not people buying to resell its an accumulation of a lot of thing going on. Everyone wants to blame everyone else for their problems.

Get over it and realize you just didn't prepare.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Amen it seems the only people pissed at the ammo situation are those that don't have any ammo. Quit complaining and be prepared. Its not people buying to resell its an accumulation of a lot of thing going on. Everyone wants to blame everyone else for their problems.
    Get over it and realize you just didn't prepare.

Actually, no......y'see, I'm likely better prepared than many on this forum - and it still ticks me off. I understand the free market, and generally support it. BUT - when someone not regularly in a given line of business jumps in it solely to "make a killing" - then, yeah, I think they're wrong. And guess what? It's my RIGHT to think that.<G>

My analogy is likened to an office worker that heads to an area hit by a hurricane with some guys he grabbed off a street corner and a trailer load of shingles and stuff he grabbed at home depot. He then offers "roofing" at 3X the going rate, and cries "free market" when someone calls him on it. The ONLY reason he's doing it is for gross profit - and as soon as he's sold what he brought, he's gonna be gone.

Now, contrast that with a roofing contractor that heads for the same place. He's coming in with experienced crews, material he KNOWS is quality - and will be installing good products in a professional manner. Is he worth 3X the price? In normal times, no - but if no one else is available, at least you're doing business with someone that knows what they're doing, and has a real reason to be doing it.

Oh.....and all these guys going out and buying/selling ammo out of their trunks? Wonder how many of 'em are collecting (and paying) sales tax per the law? Yeah......you're right.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Actually, no......y'see, I'm likely better prepared than many on this forum - and it still ticks me off. I understand the free market, and generally support it. BUT - when someone not regularly in a given line of business jumps in it solely to "make a killing" - then, yeah, I think they're wrong. And guess what? It's my RIGHT to think that.&lt;G&gt;

My analogy is likened to an office worker that heads to an area hit by a hurricane with some guys he grabbed off a street corner and a trailer load of shingles and stuff he grabbed at home depot. He then offers "roofing" at 3X the going rate, and cries "free market" when someone calls him on it. The ONLY reason he's doing it is for gross profit - and as soon as he's sold what he brought, he's gonna be gone.

Now, contrast that with a roofing contractor that heads for the same place. He's coming in with experienced crews, material he KNOWS is quality - and will be installing good products in a professional manner. Is he worth 3X the price? In normal times, no - but if no one else is available, at least you're doing business with someone that knows what they're doing, and has a real reason to be doing it.

Oh.....and all these guys going out and buying/selling ammo out of their trunks? Wonder how many of 'em are collecting (and paying) sales tax per the law? Yeah......you're right.

You beat me to it. I've complained the loudest maybe. But I've got thousands of rounds, not even close to unprepared. That has nothing to do it.

And I'm proud to say that even in this tough time, I have yet to overpay for ammo. Ive helped out a few by trading ammo at reasonable trades, and just gave an army kid 1K rounds of ammo because he couldnt find it most of the time, and when he found it he couldnt afford it. That's another thing that bothers me. The low pay our soldiers get.

If everyone stopped overpaying for ammo this problem would go away.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    What is "overpaying"?? Are you suggesting that you have given more money to a seller then you thought the item was worth to you? Why would you give the seller extra money? Why didn't you just walk away?

I haven't overpaid for any. But there are lots that have. Overpaying? Academy cost: $16.50 a box. Gunbroker and "the rapists": $45 a box. Why would anyone pay that premium?

Geez, must have hit a nerve. Good to know what your side business is though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I walk away all the time, that doesn't mean that someone else will not overpay.

Just because they don't realize it does not mean they aren't doing it.

Lots of people overplayed for their houses and look what happened when things started to crumble, they realized it when they tried to sell.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I haven't overpaid for any. But there are lots that have. Overpaying? Academy cost: $16.50 a box. Gunbroker and "the rapists": $45 a box. Why would anyone pay that premium?

;)

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX

No, I am not reselling ammo, I am also not paying the "internet" prices because I have enough ammo. The point I have been trying to make is that there is no such thing as overpaying, each transaction occurs at the price that the seller and buyer agree is the correct value for the goods being exchanged.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    No, I am not reselling ammo, I am also not paying the "internet" prices because I have enough ammo. The point I have been trying to make is that there is no such thing as overpaying, each transaction occurs at the price that the seller and buyer agree is the correct value for the goods being exchanged.

You might not be, and other experienced firearms folks might not be. But plenty of others are which encourage resellers to do what they're doing. The more resellers can be discouraged with less sales, the less it will be worth it for them to continue clearing shelves.

Each transaction like you said is between buyer and seller, but if folks got educated about what costs usually are they might be inclined to cool their heels and use their heads when buying. Buyers simply need a short education on cost per round and what are general ranges. Prices will never be as low as in the 80s, 90s or even early 2000s. But we can hope for lower than the peak of this panic, even lower than the backside of the peak going on right now.

Are there people here convinced they are good at this point if they never bought ammo ever again? Have you altered your shooting habits? Are you fine making those compromises for forever?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Are there people here convinced they are good at this point if they never bought ammo ever again? Have you altered your shooting habits? Are you fine making those compromises for forever?

People are freaking-out due to the Obama initiative on gun control. Get a grip people! .22 ammo is not going to be regulated anytime soon. What is it with people paying 3x or 4x the MSRP price. Anyone that does that IMO, is just plain stupid, unless they are heading to the wilderness and absolutely need some ammo quick. Good grief, it's .22.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The ones that are truly getting screwed are the new gun owners - the ones who are starting from scratch and having to pay these jacked up prices. Sure, they can find deals if they know where and how to look, but many new owners don't know any better.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The ones that are truly getting screwed are the new gun owners - the ones who are starting from scratch and having to pay these jacked up prices. Sure, they can find deals if they know where and how to look, but many new owners don't know any better.

You are correct with that. My daughter who got her CHL about 8 months ago (age 40~) and who I took gun shopping shortly after which she ended up with a nice G17 for home defense, was pissed because she wanted to go shooting with her husband and couldn't fine 9mm ammo. I told her the same. Just relax and it will all come back. I gave here a hundred rounds of blazer. I hate to see new shooters discouraging.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yeh, new shooters have got to be hurting right now. Though it might weed people out too. Kind of like when people get a new gym membership after New Years and the gym is full the first month or two. But the crowd thins out as you see who was really serious about working out. With firearms we might see the people who are serious about it learn and get savvy. The ones that bought to be on the whirlwind bandwagon, they'll phase out.

Top Bottom