ARJ Defense ad

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yeah, but I've been thinking about it ever since my post. I keep running up against the same problem. How do you find a general area where enough people are getting stranded often enough to make the business work?

EV drivers are careful to figure out where to find intermediate charging stations if they're on a long trip. The actual rate at which EV drivers are stranded is quite low. According to the surveys I've been able to find (Yes, I have been thinking about this since my post.:)) EVs tend to get stranded about every 100,000 to 500,000 miles driven. So it just doesn't happen very often.

Making a profit at that business would probably require finding some location where there is enough EV traffic but a paucity of charging stations. As soon as you found such a location, though, I'm sure someone would build a charging station.

It looks like the rig in the picture is doing it as a business but I can't figure out how.

It’s way more cost effective for an EV owner to just have AAA tow it to a charging station on a flatbed, methinks.

My Fiat 500e EV left me stranded exactly zero times. It only had an 80-ish mile range so trips were planned accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Follow-up from OP.

I started this thread when was thinking about buying (leasing actually) a high end Tesla-X.

I ended up buying the most un-tessla-like-vehicle in our proud Republic.
    I bought a Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel optioned out to the max. Thank you Griffith Ford San Marcos!!!

I just, 2 days ago, got back from a 2,377 mile road trip breaking it in!!!
    Went to my place in Colorado.

It's a freaking mobile 4 ton living room on wheels.
    The Bang & Olufsen audio is the icing!
    I traveled with my bride and my son and his bride and their 2 dogs. Room to spare.

A great trip.
    Used about 2 gallons of DEF. No biggie.
    Spent about $420 on diesel oil. (Apropos for CO?)

Same trip in a Tesla woulda' been a pain in the ass.
    In big Ford iron it was a pleasure.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There are many vehicles that don't compare to the F250 in terms of your use. The Model X as well as a Ford Explorer or BMW X5.

That said, the X compares well to those two vehicles.

I just took a 3600 mile road trip vacation in my 230i. A Tesla 3 or S would have been just as comfortable and kept up with my pace just the same. The difference, for me, was the ability to make a 10 or 11 hour day and make 1 stop for fuel that only took a few minutes to fill up.

I don't want to have to stop for the time required to recharge an electric vehicle at current rates of recharge

How many miles per tank can you get? I imagine you have to take bathroom/stretch breaks more often than fuel stops.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I noticed today Ford advertising the Mustang with a V8 motor. Up till today I've only seen the electric version. Have they noticed people still like horsepower? Maybe they are losing sales to muscle car Corvette or Camaro? Realizing you can't force people to buy what they don't want.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Automakers are already quietly discussing the post-battery vehicle options. The battery model is a disaster.

David Bell, a management consultant, penned an interesting observation.

Battery powered electric vehicles are the new minidisc.

Obsolete before they even started.

The sheer amount of natural resources required to produce the batteries and motors alone make them unsustainable for the long term. Resources are finite. Extraction and refinement are horrifically energy intensive and environmentally destructive.

It’s the inconvenient truth that the motor industry is already whispering in the corridors, but there’s money to be made so they’re playing along.

Reactions: gll

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Bad for road trips
    Screenshot_20220720-094252_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: gll

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Yep, the market will dictate when the change occurs.......I for one, will not give up fossil fuels for the foreseeable future......

Someday EV's will be less expensive to own and operate than a fossil fuel vehicle.....

A lot of Countries will find themselves looking for income from another source.....
    Until the future arrives, I'll keep driving my Tacoma and Subaru for quite a few years.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I noticed today Ford advertising the Mustang with a V8 motor. Up till today I've only seen the electric version. Have they noticed people still like horsepower? Maybe they are losing sales to muscle car Corvette or Camaro? Realizing you can't force people to buy what they don't want.
    Electric motors beat gas motors. The batteries are what holds them back from becoming totally useful.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Saw a drag race between electric Mustang GT, and Vette on YT.

Mustang batteries ONLY allow 5 seconds of full power, then it reduces output.
    Can't even do a full power 1/4 mile run.

Top Bottom