• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    perfect super capacitors nope. Yup, used yrs ago to operate auto starter. 4 stacked in series. Wind and solar - nope. Shut down the cripto miner and my AC will run. EPA has been the BIG problem, with recent SCOTUS ruling that might change. San Diego built a lion battery storage facility, then it caught on fir. Can't put it out. Don't do that here Gov! Yup, being pushed through Leg. China/Ru/US are working on low temp (we fund) nuke low cost reactors but Govs work slow and maybe the US will get one in 2030.
    Our freeze winter problem was partially caused by EPA!! Don't let Texas be part of the national grid or Ca will steal all our volts. Just like votes.
    Yes, developers should pay part of the utilities installation/resource cost and do it by code! Wonder why your roads fall apart after 5 yrs? It ain't the heat!
    Just got back from Fl and heard a blog that said 'don't pay attention to meteorologists' , I laughed.
    Guess I missed any blackouts but my yard looks like crap.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Screenshot_20230928_112021_Chrome.jpg

Whose fault is this? God?
    Or maybe the dumbasses who allowed us to become too dependent on renewables?

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    I suspect the eclipse ends up as a non-issue. There is a lot of warning and ability to plan around this. And it is on a Saturday. Solar is still less then 10% of total generation and the system works through wind swings, thunder storms, and generation trips regularly. October loads are also down significantly from August. We already dealt with regular daily increases in peak load throughout much of summer.

Next summer gives me a bit more concern than this, but not enough that I am buying backup generators for the house. ERCOT has sent many pretty high price signals this year that will attract new generation resources as fast as they can be positioned, finaced, and completed.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I suspect the eclipse ends up as a non-issue. There is a lot of warning and ability to plan around this. And it is on a Saturday. Solar is still less then 10% of total generation and the system works through wind swings, thunder storms, and generation trips regularly. October loads are also down significantly from August. We already dealt with regular daily increases in peak load throughout much of summer.

Next summer gives me a bit more concern than this, but not enough that I am buying backup generators for the house. ERCOT has sent many pretty high price signals this year that will attract new generation resources as fast as they can be positioned, finaced, and completed.
    Agree on eclipse not being an issue.

You should be buying an emergency generator. At least a portable that can run a few critical items.

New generation facilities take years to be built.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Be sure to vote in November:

S.J.R. 93
    What it says: “The constitutional amendment providing for the creation of the Texas energy fund to support the construction, maintenance, modernization, and operation of electric generating facilities.”
    What it does: Proposition 7 creates the Texas Energy Fund to support the construction, maintenance, and operation of electric generating facilities to ensure the state power grid remains reliable. The Public Utility Commission would oversee the new fund. (If this amendment is approved by the voters, the legislature has provided initial funding of $5 billion to begin providing loans and grants from the fund.)

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Be sure to vote in November:

S.J.R. 93
    What it says: “The constitutional amendment providing for the creation of the Texas energy fund to support the construction, maintenance, modernization, and operation of electric generating facilities.”
    What it does: Proposition 7 creates the Texas Energy Fund to support the construction, maintenance, and operation of electric generating facilities to ensure the state power grid remains reliable. The Public Utility Commission would oversee the new fund. (If this amendment is approved by the voters, the legislature has provided initial funding of $5 billion to begin providing loans and grants from the fund.)

I wish it specified modern nuclear generation...the last thing we need is more goddamn windmills.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Agree on eclipse not being an issue.

You should be buying an emergency generator. At least a portable that can run a few critical items.

New generation facilities take years to be built.
    Although I have a generator, people shouldn’t need to have one because the power grid isn’t being updated to keep up with future demands.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    From Ballotpedia:

Who supports and opposes this amendment?​

See also: Support and Opposition
    ConocoPhillips, Koch Companies, BASF Corporation Employees PAC, Texas Association of Manufacturers, Texas Oil and Gas Association, Texas Pipeline Association, and Valero Energy Corporation PAC registered in support of the amendment. State Sen. Charles Schwertner (R-5), who sponsored the amendment, said, "Winter Storm Uri revealed the failures in our electricity market, specifically the lack of reliability. ... S.B. 2627 creates a completion bonus and zero-interest loan for new dispatchable generation resources directly targeted at 'steel in the ground.' It also provides low-interest loans for existing dispatchable generators as a mechanism for generators to access capital needed to maintain and make necessary improvements to existing generation resources."[4]

Oneok, Inc., Environment Texas, Texas Advanced Energy Business Alliance, and Texas Consumer Association registered in opposition to the amendment. Environment Texas Executive Director Luke Metzger said, "We need, and Texans want, more clean energy, not less. There is strong support for more wind and solar energy, more battery storage, more energy efficiency, and more interconnection with the national grid. Unfortunately, the Legislature ignored these solutions to strengthen our electric grid while protecting consumers and the environment.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    From Ballotpedia:

Who supports and opposes this amendment?​

See also: Support and Opposition
    ConocoPhillips, Koch Companies, BASF Corporation Employees PAC, Texas Association of Manufacturers, Texas Oil and Gas Association, Texas Pipeline Association, and Valero Energy Corporation PAC registered in support of the amendment. State Sen. Charles Schwertner (R-5), who sponsored the amendment, said, "Winter Storm Uri revealed the failures in our electricity market, specifically the lack of reliability. ... S.B. 2627 creates a completion bonus and zero-interest loan for new dispatchable generation resources directly targeted at 'steel in the ground.' It also provides low-interest loans for existing dispatchable generators as a mechanism for generators to access capital needed to maintain and make necessary improvements to existing generation resources."[4]

Oneok, Inc., Environment Texas, Texas Advanced Energy Business Alliance, and Texas Consumer Association registered in opposition to the amendment. Environment Texas Executive Director Luke Metzger said, "We need, and Texans want, more clean energy, not less. There is strong support for more wind and solar energy, more battery storage, more energy efficiency, and more interconnection with the national grid. Unfortunately, the Legislature ignored these solutions to strengthen our electric grid while protecting consumers and the environment.

Well, this sentence: "There is strong support for more wind and solar energy, more battery storage, more energy efficiency, and more interconnection with the national grid." at least has one bit of fact in it. We do want more energy efficiency...and no energy generation technique is more efficient or reliable than nuclear power.

The rest is sheer bullshit. Who are these supposed Texans this shill is talking to? The ones who work for him?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Well, this sentence: "There is strong support for more wind and solar energy, more battery storage, more energy efficiency, and more interconnection with the national grid." at least has one bit of fact in it. We do want more energy efficiency...and no energy generation technique is more efficient or reliable than nuclear power.

The rest is sheer bullshit. Who are these supposed Texans this shill is talking to? The ones who work for him?
    And also the Billion that have relocated here from Commiefornia.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I 100% totally agree with you but that is never, never, never going to happen.

Helion Energy and Nucor are teaming up to build a power plant at one of Nucor’s U.S. steel mills​

America’s largest steel company is betting nuclear fusion can help it eliminate carbon emissions and power one of the world’s most energy-intensive manufacturing processes.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership between a major industrial company and a fusion startup, Nucor and Helion Energy plan to develop a 500-megawatt fusion power plant that would be placed at one of Nucor’s U.S. steel mills by 2030, the companies said.

Top Bottom