• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don’t know, but all them folks talking about the money they’re making selling energy back to the grid sure ain’t selling enough to amount to even a hill of beans.
    I never even thought about homeowners when I said that.

Thats a whole nother level of dumb right there..I have not be able to confirm with anyone who put those on their house they are getting "free" electricity or getting a check from the electric company

I'm thinking about the acres and acres of solar panels all over Texas right now.

Out here they are getting to be as prevalent as wind turbines

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It a HUGE Abbot fan, but the prospect of Beto isn’t all that great IMO.

Maybe someone can educate me on what powers the governor has to fund new power plants without the legislature or how he can ignore DOE regulations and BS for new nuke plants.

IMO he should have called a special session to address the energy shortage and how to get off the useless green crap that seems to fail during times of need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot Wheels’ power lies in directing the PUC and ERCOT to regulate and manage Texas grid generators by fuel type so that wind doesn’t comprise 30% of the fuel mix today as well as determining if sufficient base, peak, and intermittent generating capacity exists. This can be done by simply lowering the fuel mix generating forecast for wind to reflect worst case or even just average models instead of nominal. Load capacity also doesn’t reflect the current needs….2017 or so was the last time a study was done and we all know beginning in 2020 shit’s changed significantly around these parts.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I never even thought about homeowners when I said that.

Thats a whole nother level of dumb right there..I have not be able to confirm with anyone who put those on their house they are getting "free" electricity or getting a check from the electric company

I'm thinking about the acres and acres of solar panels all over Texas right now.

Out here they are getting to be as prevalent as wind turbines

Solar’s about 6% of total commercial generating capacity, less than nuclear. They fall in the hill of beans category, too.

35f1f459700489a4cce6318c8d2ecf69.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It would actually be great if we used batteries to store excess energy. A lot of produced energy is wasted because it's not used. I'm not sure what the solution to that is.

Until the industrial storage problem is solved, there should be a moratorium on new intermittent generation capacity. Thermal (both base and dispatchable/peaker) capacity needs to be increased.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It would actually be great if we used batteries to store excess energy. A lot of produced energy is wasted because it's not used. I'm not sure what the solution to that is.
    No. BESS is not the answer. A 100 MW BESS will put out 100 MW, for ONE hour. Some energy that could potentially be produced is not produced due to low pricing and curtailment. But that would require a HUGE amount of BESS to be installed.

To get 100 MW for 24 hours with solar, for instance, takes two 100 MW solar sites plus 1200 MW of BESS. The second solar site is needed to charge the BESS. Not very economically sound.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Until the industrial storage problem is solved, there should be a moratorium on new intermittent generation capacity. Thermal (both base and dispatchable/peaker) capacity needs to be increased.
    Absolutely agree. I can think of a few solutions which don't require a moratorium but would accomplish the end goal.

We need more thermal base (preferably nuke). With adequate thermal base, there is less need for peaker.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    How about we send all the sonofabitchs back that moved here over the past 10 years ( most present company excluded) and we may not be facing this shortage
    Too many people not enough power
    There isn't a good one yet

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County

This was supposed to be the future. It was a bull**** failure. Molten salt to store the heat and produce power after the sun went down. Anyone in and around Vegas watched this goat rope get built on the tax payer dime and fail. Hell the Hoover damn is on schedule to stop producing power due to the drought out west. We know how to make power (nukes) but want to keep ****ing around with “green” power that just fails over and over and over.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Actual System Demand77066
    Total System Capacity (not including Ancillary Services)79691
    Total Wind Output2667
    Total PVGR Output9326

Demand a little under forecast, which is a good thing.

Top Bottom