• ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Looks like we’re ok-ish…

I didn’t read the whole thread, but in case it hasn’t been posted here’s a cool link that shows grid and market conditions in real time. It also breaks out solar and wind and how much they are (or aren’t) producing

9FBBE65E-02D1-414B-9DF7-5E97E8C8FCCB.png

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Looks like we’re ok-ish…

I didn’t read the whole thread, but in case it hasn’t been posted here’s a cool link that shows grid and market conditions in real time. It also breaks out solar and wind and how much they are (or aren’t) producing

Pretty sad day when solar (6% of generating capacity) is way outperforming wind (30% of generating capacity).

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    The overwhelming majority of Li batteries being made for autos and BESS are coming out of China.

The production is in china. the lithium is coming from Australia. They produce half of the world's supply.

You implied that the chinese were producing the lithium, they aren't. The Australians are.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Looks like we’re ok-ish…

View attachment 331506
    There is an ERCOT app, too.

Same thing, but in an app...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The production is in china. the lithium is coming from Australia. They produce half of the world's supply.

You implied that the chinese were producing the lithium, they aren't. The Australians are.
    China is the third largest lithium producer. They are producing it as well as the batteries.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx

Yes, they are.

You're right that the Aussies produce about half, but China produces lithium, about 10% of the world's production. More significantly, China has doubled their lithium production in only the last 3 years.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I know a lot of you guys like to jerk off the same old stories "china, russia, etc etc" but most lithium in the world is mined in Australia and Chile. The Chinese don't export most of their lithium.
    Magic wand poof! Cool we make and mine all the lithium here. That solves what? Nothing we still have 36% of our grid depending on weather. Which as we all have seen is shit.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    ERCOT has issued a watch for a projected reserve capacity shortage with no market solution for today from 2:00 - 10:00, which could cause an EEA (energy emergency alert) event.

Wind is forecast to be low during this period, which is causing the potential for a grid problem.

ERCOT asking everyone to limit usage during these hours.

If you aren't in the room, turn off the ceiling fan. Unplug devices not being used, as many will use a little even if off. Don't run the washer, dryer or dishwasher. All these things may be small, but they can add up across the entire state.

Make sure your portable/emergency generator is in running state and that you have fuel for it.

I will not get too worried unless they issue an EEA.
    I reduced my usage in June by 40% last year (from 2020) and, despite the higher temps over more days, I have even shaved off a bit more. Aside from closing the house and moving to Pacific Grove for the rest of the summer, I don't know how to lower the bill any further.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Yes, they are.

You're right that the Aussies produce about half, but China produces lithium, about 10% of the world's production. More significantly, China has doubled their lithium production in only the last 3 years.

Not to mention securing control of lithium mines (among other strategic minerals) in Africa!

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I'm confused. I got emails ans calls asking to reduce electrical use but I also see emails and news stories promoting cooling zones for people.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I even got one of those emergency alerts on my cell like an amber alert. A bit overkill imo

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Ercot stepped on their dick February 2020.
    Everything is over cautious since then.

Better to warn and be wrong than be silent and drop the grid.

The biggest changes have been procedural.
    For the most part, those changes were sufficient to avoid another blackout.

I'm glad they're dancing on hot coals.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I reduced my usage in June by 40% last year (from 2020) and, despite the higher temps over more days, I have even shaved off a bit more. Aside from closing the house and moving to Pacific Grove for the rest of the summer, I don't know how to lower the bill any further.
    What did you do to cut 40%? That’s impressive.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Lithium. Mined in China, made in China.

The Salton Sea in CA has been a neglected wasteland for decades…but now they’ve found massive lithium deposits.

So we could just buy it from a different communist regime, though they’ve already taxed the shit out of it even before production comes online…because of course they did.

Top Bottom