DK Firearms

Fads in the firearms industry.What do you scoff at? What have you learned to love?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    As for the zombie ammo, have gone in a couple places, that was the only thing left on the shelf, and yes I bought it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I have a few boxes of zombie rounds because i couldn't get critical defense or duty at the time. I still carry with it :D

I turned into a magpul fanboy simply because I can't afford the other stuff. Lol One day, I'll upgrade.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    AR "fads" that needs to go away:
    Slidefire stocks, drop-in self-contained trigger groups, magwell grips, Magpul fanboys, full quad-rails (though I love my DDM4V1 LW), Zombie green and pink furniture, NiB coated everything, Kryloning your whole gun, non-standard recoil/buffer systems (sorry VLTOR V5 fanboys), piston guns, cheek risers on non-SPRs, Aimpoint Micros (irons, FTW), non-standard barrel nuts, flip up BUIS on rifles with no primary optic, and last but not least: all of those damn lightweight builds where people will spend an extra $1000 on their rifle to shed half a pound of weight.

General "fads" that need to go away:
    .410 revolvers, MIM parts, reduced recoil buckshot (come on, if you're gonna blast someone with buckshot, you might as well pull out all of the stops), polymer guide rods and pins, fiber-optic sights (I like the sight picture that they produce, but I'll be damned if I haven't broken every set on every gun that I've put them on), ridiculously overpriced factory magazines, interchangeable front and back straps on polymer handguns, giant horking 16 round pump shotguns (learn to top off), POCKET NINES.

You dislike drop in triggers, Aimpoint micros and "pocket" 9s?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I friggin hate quad-rails. If you put rail covers on them they are too large to manage. I mostly put absolutely nothing on them which ends up tearing up hands, sandbags, and scratching other weapons leaned against them. Why not just supply a handguard that has threaaded points that can accept rails if you want to add them. I especially hate the handguards that are just cast with the rails that are not removeable,
    <stepping down from soapbox>
    Totally agree. Also don't mount a bunch of stuff you don't need.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    You're LEO friend is wrong. Zombies have been part of the popular culture ever since Gene Romero produced the original "Night of the Living Dead" back in the fifties and has been sustained by the endless sequels and Dawn of the Dead series of movies through to the current Walking Dead TV show. Zombies are creepy, all-consuming mindless hordes...which is why in my circle of friends we use the term "Zombie" to describe Liberals no matter what their race. We prepare for marauding hordes of Obama-Zombies looking for more free shit after the Federal government runs out of our money. That's where the real menace lies.

Post #27.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    AR "fads" that needs to go away:
    Slidefire stocks, drop-in self-contained trigger groups, magwell grips, Magpul fanboys, full quad-rails (though I love my DDM4V1 LW), Zombie green and pink furniture, NiB coated everything, Kryloning your whole gun, non-standard recoil/buffer systems (sorry VLTOR V5 fanboys), piston guns, cheek risers on non-SPRs, Aimpoint Micros (irons, FTW), non-standard barrel nuts, flip up BUIS on rifles with no primary optic, and last but not least: all of those damn lightweight builds where people will spend an extra $1000 on their rifle to shed half a pound of weight.

General "fads" that need to go away:
    .410 revolvers, MIM parts, reduced recoil buckshot (come on, if you're gonna blast someone with buckshot, you might as well pull out all of the stops), polymer guide rods and pins, fiber-optic sights (I like the sight picture that they produce, but I'll be damned if I haven't broken every set on every gun that I've put them on), ridiculously overpriced factory magazines, interchangeable front and back straps on polymer handguns, giant horking 16 round pump shotguns (learn to top off), POCKET NINES.

I agree with most but not all of these. I think drop in trigger groups are much better than mil spec triggers. Magpul furniture is great. It's not too expensive, based in Colorado and comes in different colors. Piston guns are another thing that is great, it's not always better than di but it's not always worse. Fiber optic sights are nice too. I like tritium better tho.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I agree with most but not all of these. I think drop in trigger groups are much better than mil spec triggers. Magpul furniture is great. It's not too expensive, based in Colorado and comes in different colors. Piston guns are another thing that is great, it's not always better than di but it's not always worse. Fiber optic sights are nice too. I like tritium better tho.

I think piston guns are a solution to an imaginary problem, a solution that uses proprietary parts, which creates a larger problem.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yet their market share continues to grow why then...I know its because people dont know whats best for them. I think aside from the cheapest guns the DI may be going extinct.

It grows because someone got on the Internet and said "you need this to operate like a real operator".

Aside from running a can, there's no point really. Piston isn't bad, but not worth redesigning a gun and losing the ability to swap parts with just about any other AR/M16.

Piston ARs=fad. It will fade as the fanbois get over it but will continue to be used where it is needed and offers some actual benefit.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I find the appreciation for the nasty DI system interesting. Alright YG called piston guns a fad and i said DI may go extinct. Everyone check back in in 10 years to see who is right.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    As a piston gun owner - it has it's place. Not on a normal platform but on Russian milsurp corrosive ammo calibers, 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 I approve. The problem is that there are people who will pay 2x more for a 556,223 piston upper just for the cool factor. It's not cool. Honestly it's not really different when you shoot them. The only difference is the piston guns make your handguard a dirtier and di guns get your action dirtier. They're not cooler or better.
    Di will never die. It's how the gun was designed. The modular design of the platform will add so many variations and some will be fads.

I dislike billet uppers and lowers and anti roll pins. Anyone ever proved that they help?

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Yet their market share continues to grow why then...I know its because people dont know whats best for them. I think aside from the cheapest guns the DI may be going extinct.

Because people have this infatuation with thinking that hardware changes will solve software problems, they are also prone to following trends and gimmicks. There is no improvement gained from going from a DI to a piston gun.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think this thread turned in to "gun things I don't like". Not many "things I like" posted.

Top Bottom