• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don’t think I’d be able to convict on anything. Just to horrible of a situation and would imagine the pain will be far more punishment than I could ever imagine inflicting on someone for most crimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see bringing charges to be pointless and serving no purpose other than for the prosecutor's or DA's personal agenda of maybe trying to prove a point, or set an example.

If he's any kind of father with any measure of conscience, charging him, and taking it to trial serves no good. He's probably his own worst critic at this point. It's something that will haunt him until he dies.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Thinking like "he's a father and he feels pain" is no excuse for committing a criminal offense.
    Acquitting someone based on feelings really defeats the whole point of the jury of 12 peers.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I have to agree with @Sasquatch line of reasoning as well.

I happen to believe had it been a stranger, instead of his daughter, much of the discussion so far would not be taking place, regardless if he shot an intruder simply based on luck instead of properly identifying the target.

But, let me add this, even shooting an intruder based upon a lucky shot, and not by properly identifying that intruder, is not good planning.

I don't think a practical or responsible person would rely upon using luck in such a situation. Still reverts back to the very basic fundamental gun safety rules for me. Know your target before pulling the trigger.
    Bingo

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Anyone with even a shred of common sense would not press charges in this case.
    I disagree.

Someone popped off a round without proper planning, or with poor execution (not unlike Alec...) and killed someone. Just because it was his own daughter does not absolve him of responsibility or relieve the State of its duty to see earthy justice done. While I want to avoid the "what if" game, it could have easily been anyone he killed. Maybe her friend hanging out watching a movie, maybe his wife, maybe anything. Yes, he has and will continue to pay a steep price for his actions, but it does not let him off from the debt to society for his (presummed) actions if they were in fact criminal. His daughter's life was not his to take through intent or negligence.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Wow. You sure are generous with showing compassion and mercy.
    On a jury it is not your duty to be generous or merciful. It is your duty to decide based on the facts. That it was his daughter is only relevant because she had a right to be there and he failed (IMO) to ID his target and be in reasonable fear justifying his use of force.

Yeah, it sucks big time but through his poor choices, he killed another person.

What if I was driving drunk with my kid in the passenger seat and I happened to crash, killing him?
    Charges or "oopsy, he'll have to live with that"?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    On a jury it is not your duty to be generous or merciful. It is your duty to decide based on the facts. That it was his daughter is only relevant because she had a right to be there and he failed (IMO) to ID his target and be in reasonable fear justifying his use of force.

What if I was driving drunk with my kid in the passenger seat and I happened to crash, killing him?

I a

I agree and disagree. I understand what you are saying, but IMO there is no justice served in charging him and going to trial. It also IMO serves no purpose. His daughter will still be dead. I suspect it could very well cost him his marriage, or has at the very least put one helluva a strain on it because of this. It's highly possible sometime in the near future, he may even eat his gun.

What he did was not only tragic, but as most of us here have drawn the conclusion, it was preventable from happening in the first place. Ut was stupid and reckless, but IF I were an investigator, on this case. I might have to lean towards it being accidental shooting, and recommend no charges.

That is strictly a personal opinion based on what I know of the incident currently.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I a

I agree and disagree. I understand what you are saying, but IMO there is no justice served in charging him and going to trial. It also IMO serves no purpose. His daughter will still be dead. I suspect it could very well cost him his marriage, or has at the very least put one helluva a strain on it because of this. It's highly possible sometime in the near future, he may even eat his gun.

What he did was not only tragic, but as most of us here have drawn the conclusion, it was preventable from happening in the first place. Ut was stupid and reckless, but IF I were an investigator, on this case. I might have to lean towards it being accidental shooting, and recommend no charges.

That is strictly a personal opinion based on what I know of the incident currently.
    I get it...

If I were in his shoes, no earthly punishment could be worse than living with the burden of having killed my daughter with my own hand because I had planned poorly.

I'm just trying to point out that his impetuous actions killing his daughter are socially just as dangerous as if he had killed another family's daughter who was just hanging out for the evening. He as the father is hardly the only person with affinity for the young woman. Mother, grand-parents, boyfriend, friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters... where is their justice? I know earthly justice is imperfect and heavenly justice will be perfect damnation or perfect pardon, but is it some semblance of justice for the others wronged to have the State hold him accountable for his actions?

Or you could say I am asking:

"Had this been another innocent person, say a roommate, would you then think charges justified?"

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I get it...

If I were in his shoes, no earthly punishment could be worse than living with the burden of having killed my daughter with my own hand because I had planned poorly.

I'm just trying to point out that his impetuous actions killing his daughter are socially just as dangerous as if he had killed another family's daughter who was just hanging out for the evening. He as the father is hardly the only person with affinity for the young woman. Mother, grand-parents, boyfriend, friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters... where is their justice? I know earthly justice is imperfect and heavenly justice will be perfect damnation or perfect pardon, but is it some semblance of justice for the others wronged to have the State hold him accountable for his actions?

"Had this been another innocent person, say a roommate, would you then think charges justified?"

I understand what you are saying and I'm not in total disagreement with you on this.

I'm just conflicted as to what punishment is just and fair. Is bearing this burden of what he did, enough of a punishment for his actions? I don't know honestly. Does his action rise to the level of being criminal? That too, I don't know.

One thing I am mot in disagreement with most, his actions were reckless, stupid and the result of his poor planning for such a scenario.

One thing I'm glad of, is that I'm not the investigator, the prosecutor, the judge or the jury that has to decide this man's fate if it does go to a trial.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I disagree.

Someone popped off a round without proper planning, or with poor execution (not unlike Alec...) and killed someone. Just because it was his own daughter does not absolve him of responsibility or relieve the State of its duty to see earthy justice done. While I want to avoid the "what if" game, it could have easily been anyone he killed. Maybe her friend hanging out watching a movie, maybe his wife, maybe anything. Yes, he has and will continue to pay a steep price for his actions, but it does not let him off from the debt to society for his (presummed) actions if they were in fact criminal. His daughter's life was not his to take through intent or negligence.

And exactly what debt does he owe to "society" in this case?

And what will be improved by charging him?

Will it effect any change in his future behavior? {Answer is a resounding no. That change has already taken place.}

Every accident is avoidable. Should everyone who initiates an accident be charged?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I get it...

It was not his roommate. Nor was it anyone else. It was his daughter. Only an idiot bureaucrat blindly enforces every rule.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It was not his roommate. Nor was it anyone else. It was his daughter. Only an idiot bureaucrat blindly enforces every rule.
    You are correct. But @cycleguy2300 is bringing up a valid point.

What if if was guests in his home and one of them went into the garage for whatever reason, creating the same sequence of events that the daughter did, with the outcome being that the guest, is shot and killed?

Would I look at it differently? Honestly, I don't know. Would I be for, or opposed to him being charged? Again, I don't know.

USOffRoad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Granbury, Texas
    A complete heart breaking travesty. He will NEVER get past this, I doubt I could continue living if I did such a thing.

I knew a police officer in Shreveport back in the 90's that shot his wife in similar fashion...she actually charged him coming down the hallway late at night after he had just got home from patrol and been asleep for minutes. She wasn't supposed to be home as she was a nurse working nights.. if I remember correctly.

Sometimes it's lack of training, sometimes it's just a bad series of events and bad decisions. Either way, it's tragic.

As stated before... know your target before pulling the trigger.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    It wasnt only "his" daughter.

She was someone's granddaughter, someone else's daughter (the wife) and sister and niece and cousin and girlfriend and future wife...

it is to them I beleive the State owes justice.

Charges and even a conviction never bring back the loss, but it does serve the interest of justice. Had she been given minor injuries, sure, maybe let him learn on his own, but he should be no more immune to charges "because it was his daughter" in this case, than if it had been intentional.

Surely "I heard a noise and shot. Oopsy..." is not a reasonable excuse to kill a family member and not at least face a jury of your peers. Otherwise, I suspect there may be a few husbands, wives, boyfriends and girlfriends ready to try the "Ooopsy" defense...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It wasnt only "his" daughter.

She was someone's granddaughter, someone else's daughter (the wife) and sister and niece and cousin and girlfriend and future wife...

it is to them I beleive the State owes justice.

Charges and even a conviction never bring back the loss, but it does serve the interest of justice. Had she been given minor injuries, sure, maybe let him learn on his own, but he should be no more immune to charges "because it was his daughter" in this case, than if it had been intentional.

Surely "I heard a noise and shot. Oopsy..." is not a reasonable excuse to kill a family member and not at least face a jury of your peers. Otherwise, I suspect there may be a few husbands, wives, boyfriends and girlfriends ready to try the "Ooopsy" defense...

Your lasts paragraph is a straw man. That is not the situation here.

And he is related to all those same people you mention.

Exactly what justice is served? And how is it served?

We ain't gonna agree on this.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom