• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    From largest to smallest in terms of area, is this right?
    State
    County
    Precinct
    City

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's possible for a city to cross counties and encompass multiple precincts.

Constables are probably more important in the country, especially when you are far from the county seat and the sheriff's office.

TXinvestigator gave the straight of it, knows more than me...

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    It's possible for a city to cross counties and encompass multiple precincts.

Now that you mention it, my last gig was in Carrollton, and I believe it straddles 3 different counties (Colin, Dallas and Denton).

When my buddy was dealing with his ex during his divorce, he called the cops in Allen to “officiate” when he went back to the house to get a few things...the PD told him to call the Constables. And a Constable did show up.

“It’s complicated” LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Constables are full LEOs, and have additional training and authority in regards to the service of civil process. They are county employees. Constables are elected for and serve in the JP precincts They were created to serve civil process and bailiff the JP courts. They can; however, perform an LE function.

I have seen them with traffic units, SWAT teams, drug dogs and drug interdiction units, etc.

And anyone can arrest the Sheriff, even all of you
    I guess they do more than I thought they did. Are their qualifications and training equal to PDs and Sheriffs?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    The original purpose of a Constable was to serve civil papers issued by the JP in their precinct. They also provided courtroom security for the JP. Somewhere along the way they discovered if they wrote traffic tickets the money would go the the JP's office, not the city or county. Of course it was used by the JP for his "office expenses" to cut down on his county supported budget and not shared with the constable. Also gave them access to a lot of surplus military equipment and grants for security.

Buy that and I've got a bridge I would like to talk to you about.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    We had a self righteous constable here in Wise County that just handed most of the responsibilities off to the Sheriff Deputies (serving warrants/evictions). He would not comply with requests for financial record keeping and was caught using County funds for personal benefit.

He liked the power but not the job. He just wanted to build homes and take the County Paycheck. HE WAS FOUND GUILTY and lost his job.

I hope the new guy is better.

bob

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    This one has been a real hoot for a while.....my son is with a municipality within her precinct, and they've had several run-ins with her - they call her by her first name, which infuriates her...but she can't do anything about it, especially since their chief okay'd it. Think of every bad stereotype you've ever heard about in an LEO, blend well, and allow to age for a week or two in the sun - that's her in spades.
    Most of us knew this was in the making - and by the time it's over, she'll be lucky to avoid jail time.

mamboloco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2019
    DFW
    Best comment in the article, LOL

"Notice how she drew her eyebrows to look concerned, as if she woke up and knew that she had every reason to be."

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I guess they do more than I thought they did. Are their qualifications and training equal to PDs and Sheriffs?
    yes. Same exact training as EVERY law enforcement officer in the state but, in addition to that, all Constables and Deputy Constables are required to take the Basic Civil Process Course (TCOLE #3131--approx. 20 hours) every two years. If a Sheriff's Office has Deputies who serve such documents, then those Deputies must complete that same course as well.

The job of the Constables and Deputy Constables varies somewhat from county to county. In some counties, the Constable Offices only perform their required function of serving process and providing courtroom security for the Justice of the Peace of their Precinct. In other counties, the Constable Offices perform many, many more tasks than that, including regular patrol, toll road patrol, drug interdiction, environmental enforcement, license & weights, neighborhood patrol on contract with the county & subdivisions, etc.

Last edited:

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The original purpose of a Constable was to serve civil papers issued by the JP in their precinct. They also provided courtroom security for the JP. Somewhere along the way they discovered if they wrote traffic tickets the money would go the the JP's office, not the city or county. Of course it was used by the JP for his "office expenses" to cut down on his county supported budget and not shared with the constable. Also gave them access to a lot of surplus military equipment and grants for security.

Buy that and I've got a bridge I would like to talk to you about.
    The fines for citations written by Constables & Deputy Constables do NOT go to the JP at all . . . for his office expenses or anything else, for that matter.

Top Bottom