• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So I took it out and shot it this morning finally.

First impression: absolutely amazing.

The stock is a thing of beauty. I have never felt so comfortable behind a rifle before. I got it set up to fit me like no rifle has ever fit before. It exceeded all expectations.

This thing is a beast. I had to adjust the butt pad down to get it into my longest rifle case. A special case is in the near future.

The weight and muzzle brake made shooting it a joy. After forty rounds I had no recoil/ muzzle blast headache and no shoulder pain. The range got busy or I might have shot more.

I shot all factory rounds. Some were excellent and some were mediocre, and their price reflects it. I am excited to reload for it when the time comes but I have a pile of factory ammo that came with it.

I shot everything off a somewhat wobbly bench at Astro shooting range. It is a very good range and I highly recommend it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The ammo I shot consisted of all BTHP rounds:
    Hornady 250 gr match
    HSM 250 gr match
    Southwest Ammunition 300 gr match (SMK)
    Sellier & Bellot 250 gr match
    Herter's 250 match (SMK)

tyrypu8e.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Hornady ammo was the star followed closely by the Southwest.

All groups were five rounds at 100 yards.

Two Hornady groups came in at just a hair over an inch, with the best three of each consisting of 0.15" and 0.53".

Two Southwest groups also came in at just over an inch with the best three of each consisting of 0.21" and 0.68".

Very impressive considering I did the shooting.

One Herter's group came in at just over an inch also with the best three at 0.61".

The HSM and S&B shot about 1.5" with the best three at about 0.75".

The Herter's, S&B, and the HSM were all shot at the beginning and the Southwest and Hornady toward the end. This may play a factor in the groups and in the next test I will spread them more evenly. This is the first outing and I am sure I can do better.

The Herter's and S&B did chamber hard and gave me failures to extract. The extractor jumped the rim and repeated attempts were fruitless. I had to knock about six rounds out with a cleaning rod. The rims were not damaged though.

One Herter's round failed to fire with the first strike. I waited a minute incase of hangfire and tried again. It fired the second time.

One round of Southwest failed to fire after three attempts. It had good primer strikes but would not fire.

Honestly, I have heard of people having extraction issues with these rifles and in my limited experience it seems to go along with the rounds that didn't want to chamber easily. They went in super tight and it only makes sense that they didn't want to come back out.

I will update this issue on my next outing and see if it is consistent with my findings.

I had no chambering or extraction issues with the other three brands.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    All in all, this rifle is wonderful. It doesn't have near the muzzle blast of the Barrett .50 BMG that I had. I feel like I could shoot it all day long with no ill effects. I was concerned about that with the big brake on it but it is very well designed and doesn't blast back at all. The Barrett would wear me out after ten rounds.

I would rate the total recoil on par with a heavy barreled .308. It is not bad at all for the ballistic performance the round delivers.

I am very happy with my purchase. Savage delivers again.

TXDeer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2014
    Conroe
    Thanks for posting the link from other thread to this purchase and range visit. Envious of the opportunity with the .338 and a nice platform...

You'll have to update when you get to a range with much longer distances and flight conditions. Have spent a good deal of time researching other threads/videos across sites on the .338 Lapua and its a wonderful long distance performer in sporadic winds and heavy air. That bullet weight allows the average shooter to make more consistent hits and these incredible distances with a great scope such as yours. It allows a much more allowable (humane) animal shot at those ranges without the risk of a partial hit and lost animal to die elsewhere. If not ever used for animal hunting it still a huge high for long distance target shooting in challenging conditions.

My longest target shooting is just over 800 meters with 308 (match and reloads) with inconsistent wind conditions. It was learning experience and good education on our respective shooting capabilities. No where great on consistent wind/mirage estimations to make a high % first round hit without walking it in... but that .338 Lapua you have... whole different story.

Congrats...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks again.

I am just holding out hope that Hornady comes out with a heavy SST bullet for it. I love the SST's performance in accuracy and game hunting.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Took it out to the range again yesterday for the second time. It was just above freezing and gusty winds. I did ok for the conditions I guess.

I didn't stay long though and was distracted (read: wasted ammo). The Hornady ammo did well again though. One group wasn't great but did put one decent group together not including the flyer.

ee214420d22b85c7ff3126b2c848bb30.jpg

8288fc90163ce3aac9167d12e2902173.jpg

I had no stuck cases this time but the Southwest Ammunition rounds gave me two more failure to fires and one round that fired on the second attempt. These rounds were all fired twice but didn't go off.

a2972413a44feb51740eeeb659e5526c.jpg

f74e07afb4e05d31ee370e7b7a5aa8aa.jpg

The Atlas bipod worked great. It is has exceeded my expectations for it's build quality and rigidity. My only complaint is the feet roll and it makes it hard to "load". I have spiked feet that I will try next time.

All in all, a good day at the range to shoot during adverse conditions.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    At the price you're paying per round, I'd be emailing someone about a refund or replacement for those bullets that didn't work.
    I would but I got everything in a package deal and I don't really care about their ammo. Like Orbitup said, brass for reloading and the Southwest ammo uses Lapua cases.

If I had bought the ammo off the shelf then I would definitely be seeking replacements or refunds.

steve82864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2014
    i just bought mine also..ive fired about 100 rounds of factory ammo. through it and im trying to get my oal to the lands figured out so i know how far to seat the bullet off the lands..having a little problem there but it will eventually happen and ill get to dial in some good rounds i hope cause as you say the good stuff around here is about $7.00 everytime you squeeze the trigger..i love the way it shoots,the way it handles the recoil and best of all the accuracy with factory bought ammo. ive gotten sub .680 moa at 200 yards with bought ammo. so i cant help but think it will get better..its better than myself already but with some time behind the scope it should all work out at the end of the day..
    good luck and i hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine..

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    i just bought mine also..ive fired about 100 rounds of factory ammo. through it and im trying to get my oal to the lands figured out so i know how far to seat the bullet off the lands..having a little problem there but it will eventually happen and ill get to dial in some good rounds i hope cause as you say the good stuff around here is about $7.00 everytime you squeeze the trigger..i love the way it shoots,the way it handles the recoil and best of all the accuracy with factory bought ammo. ive gotten sub .680 moa at 200 yards with bought ammo. so i cant help but think it will get better..its better than myself already but with some time behind the scope it should all work out at the end of the day..
    good luck and i hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine..
    Congrats. I love it. It is by far the most comfortable rifle I have ever fired. I need more trigger time and more empty brass.

Top Bottom