• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My next project with it will probably be to swap out the scope rail. This is 20 MOA with the extra rails built into it. I still have one whole rotation of up adjustment on the scope that is wasted. I am guessing I will be maxed out at about 1200 yards or so.

Plus with swapping the rail out I can lower the scope and cheek riser. The front part of the factory rail is in the way and useless anyways. I thought about just cutting it off (and the extra rails) but the extra adjustment of a 30 or 40 MOA rail would be nice to have.
    Capitol Armory ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    nice pics. i need to get a monopod for mine.
    They make them for rails and standard sling swivels. I found a sling stud that threaded into my stock so I went that route. The PRS comes with a rail section. The PRS II does not. Jackasses.

I bought the tall monopod but should have gotten the short one. I cut mine off as short as possible, about the same length as the short version. It is still too tall sometimes.

Now I need leg extensions for my bipod.

KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Nice update Dawico....and great shooting !! What scope do you have mounted ?
    KK

Sent from the third rock from the sun...

KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp. It is a great scope and has a nice price tag given the features.

That's what I thought it was. I finally got mine about 10 days ago.......I am completely satisfied with it....and got it at a really good price from Cameraland thru Amazon......

9e7d59f16b36fc465696307f79598a86.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That's what I thought it was. I finally got mine about 10 days ago.......I am completely satisfied with it....and got it at a really good price from Cameraland thru Amazon......

9e7d59f16b36fc465696307f79598a86.jpg

Mine does not have the illuminated reticle or the target turret on the windage adjustment. It is the MOA version too, not mildot.

I just got the 4-16x50 ffp in trade that does have both those features though as well as being mildot. I just need another rifle to put under it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So I had some success with more handloads.

I have done well with the 250gr SMKs but I wanted to step up in weight. I got my hands on some 285 gr Hornady Amaxes and 300 gr SMKs.

Sometimes some weights are hard to find, especially in my area. I generally prefer buying from the LGS but they don't carry much so if I happen to see some somewhere I grab some.

Now that I have some loads developed I will pick a bullet and buy in bulk. But if I find some cheap I know that I am ready to load them right up. At almost a dollar each I am always looking for a deal.

The range was windy and cold yesterday, about 40° and 12 mph gusty crosswinds. I had a hard time holding steady and my trigger finger was about frozen. I was also shooting from a bench at Hicksville instead of prone like I usually do. BOTW is generally set up for bench shooting so I wanted to get into practice for that as I see myself on their long range more now that my load development is about finished.

I tried loading up toward max pressure with both bullets but they were too hot for my tastes. A sticky bolt, excessive recoil, and flattened primers on the first groups made me stop. I loaded up 25 of each and ended up pulling apart 35 of the 50 I had loaded.

I know that generally mid range loads are more accurate but I wanted to keep velocity up for long range shooting.

With my second attempt the groups got better toward the high end so I am happy with the accuracy and velocity I found. I have no clue on the actual velocity but trial and error at long range (and messing with the velocity on my Strelok app) will give me those numbers.

The 300gr SMKs did very well and most of my groups showed horizontal stringing that I am blaming on the wind. These are both 5 shot groups at 100 yards. If I took my normal flyer the groups would be even better.

d7e77be4aee4eae6130e535c3ad7d1a2.jpg

1b361c037ba221e8fc3d388f10d4d9a4.jpg

The 285 gr Amaxes made a nice showing too. I did allow one flyer in each group as I am testing mechanical accuracy not my shooting ability.

d1a7dd0b71c36184a06fedc561858084.jpg

606186d5212647c86735ad4f75ece5f2.jpg

The rifle is proving that if I do my part at the bench (shooting and reloading) then it will do its part. It makes it easy to look like I am a great shooter but I have to give the rifle credit.

I still want to develope a load for a good long range hunting bullet but they sure get expensive quick. Now that I have loads developed for the popular weights the curve on loading them should be be small though.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I thought it was $1/bullet.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    Yup, I paid $44/ 50 for the Amaxes and $49/50 for the SMKs. I know there are much better deals but they were on the shelf.

Midway has 300 gr factory blemishes (probably SMKs) for about $25/ 50. Loading up on those will keep me under $1 a round of loaded ammo.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics