• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Ever see those home fixer upper shows? They're usually filmed in California. In California a pos shack costs over a quarter million dollars.
    Property Brothers is sometimes filmed in Austin.

I heard on the radio a piece of property downtown Austin is up for sell. It was bought in 1987 for $18k, it appraised for $260k in 2014, the owner has it listed for $490k. It's a 450sqft 1/1 delapidated shack on Rainey St.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Welcome Man Im also a new guy as well, If you work from home or in downtown Dallas take a look at Forney, Its east of Dallas 19 miles from downtown. Only 18,000 people but growing still has that country feel and 30 minutes to downtown. I transferred from Canada last year and we looked at fresco, mckinley etc but the commute was nuts. House prices the same in Canada as California so we where shocked when we bought brand new 3700 sq ft on 1/4 acre for 315K. Community called Grayhawk you can find it on realtor.com. Heard the school system is good out here but don't have kids so can't verify. Place down the road is just under 3000 sq ft with pool on 1/4 acre for 297 i believe. Welcome to Texas we love it, AWD or 4x helps as when they get an ice storm down here its the only way to get around, they don't have the equipment but it only last's a few days.

Prices are high up there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    those prices are just fine with me. our budget is going to be mid $300k for 3000 sq ft for the right area. if we can get 4000 sq ft, or less than $300k, or any combination of that in an area with low crime, great schools, and not too far from civilization, then even better.

in San Diego it's 600k for a 2300 sq ft house in a "better than ghetto" neighborhood. our (rented) townhouse values over $400k for 1400 sq ft.

Can't wait to leave!

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

ContactLeft

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    those prices are just fine with me. our budget is going to be mid $300k for 3000 sq ft for the right area. if we can get 4000 sq ft, or less than $300k, or any combination of that in an area with low crime, great schools, and not too far from civilization, then even better.

in San Diego it's 600k for a 2300 sq ft house in a "better than ghetto" neighborhood. our (rented) townhouse values over $400k for 1400 sq ft.

Can't wait to leave!

Just keep in mind you will also have to pay property taxes on that amount as well. Or whatever the county appraises the house for.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Just keep in mind you will also have to pay property taxes on that amount as well. Or whatever the county appraises the house for.
    thanks, i can deal with double the tax on half the home value. I think utilities are my biggest concern!

ContactLeft

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    In general, Utilities are not bad at all. Especially when you compare them to CA. We have to keep our A/C's blowing for the majority of the year and we still pay less than we were paying in CA.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    In general, Utilities are not bad at all. Especially when you compare them to CA. We have to keep our A/C's blowing for the majority of the year and we still pay less than we were paying in CA.

Electricity is deregulated in Texas so you can shop your provider for the cheapest rate. I pay next to nothing....$0.08/kW if I remember correctly.
    good to know, i pay $75-150/mo now in CA, i have heard of people paying $400+ in TX...

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    does anyone have any input on school districts? I know that Allen ISD is supposed to be great, but the Allen (and surrounding areas) home prices are climbing...

looking at Royce City, not sure how nice the town is, but some of the schools get "average" ratings, and I'd like to put my kids in an "above average" school if given the option.

granted, they are Kindergarten and younger, but when we buy a home in 2017,it'll likely be the last and only home we buy

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    No idea because I'm from Austin, but see if you can find where new school WILL be built and look in those areas. That's what we did and a month after we bought our house, construction began on a new elementary school literally within walking distance from our house inside our neighborhood.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    good idea! we are renting for about 18 months, then when we go to buy, it'll likely be off the beaten path.. so walking distance might not be an option

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    good idea! we are renting for about 18 months, then when we go to buy, it'll likely be off the beaten path.. so walking distance might not be an option

You'd be surprised at the rate at which schools are constructed in Texas. In Leander alone, which is a small suburb of NW Austin, there are 9 new High Schools opening in the next 18 months...so pretty much anywhere is within walking distance to a new school.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    You'd be surprised at the rate at which schools are constructed in Texas. In Leander alone, which is a small suburb of NW Austin, there are 9 new High Schools opening in the next 18 months...so pretty much anywhere is within walking distance to a new school.
    And the property tax through the roof

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom