kungfu-1.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I used to bench about 400 and run the 40yd in 4.6 seconds, back in the day.

Now I bench about 4.6 pounds and run the 40yd in 400 seconds.

It was always important growing up; I did TaeKwonDo, TangSuDo, Gymnastics, Baseball, Football, Track, Basketball (sucked). High school I worked out twice a day for 1-2 hours each, plus practice for the sport of the season. Then College ran a shit ton between the Aggie Corps and Rugby.

Then I started working and travelling 24/7 when I graduated. I've taken a decade or so off, but my 9 year old likes to run so I've started running a couple times a week with him.

I'm an expert at Krav Maga on Splinter Cell, does that count?

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Check out Robb hamic on face book if you got one he is a krav maga instructor as well as a firearms and CHL instructor in Texas.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Krav Maga student working on getting back into shape.

Been looking into Krav for quite some time. I guess I should get off the fence and jump in,eh? It is the way to go as far as martial arts in my opinion. I've taken Tae Kwan Do and Aikido and they can't hold a flame to the power and lack of "formalities" in Krav.

I try to stay fit via lifting, cardio, P90X stuff, wrestling wild boars (okay, I don't wrestle them).....

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    You guys oiong to Krav Maga in San Antonio what classes do you all go to? I been doing cardio bag for a month now.
    I try to hit 2 cardio bag classes a week, intense workout, have you taken a class taught by the owner Pete Hardy yet.... I thought I was gonna die. Henry teaches a good class, the last ten minute with his bag switch is definitely fun.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Exercise.........I feel like I have returned from the dead and the story may be worth sharing.

Two years ago I was at a rifle match and spent 9 hours on my knees shooting prone. My knees and left elbow swelled up HUGE and I couldn't walk or even drive for many months. Just gimping to the bathroom was horrible! The problem was arthritis which has plagued me for years. Normally, it screws up one joint at a time and it tours around my body raising Hell but no..........Flash had to get 3 of them going at once! After months, the swelling went down but walking was very painful! I'm 6'1" and wear a size 54 coat so I'll never be a small man but my own weight kept me crippled up.

What saved my ass was a life long love of bicycles! I bought a Schwinn Meridian adult tricycle and Bonnie got one, too. These trikes are 6' long and a blast to ride. I put Jake (our little dog) in the rear basket of the trike and we get moving! The pedaling got my knees back in shape without carrying the weight!

After weeks of riding the trike, I was able to get back up on 2 wheeled bikes so I bought a Schwinn 700C Hybrid bike with 21 speeds. I needed that to buck the wind near the bay as 30 MPH head winds are common here. The bikes are great with lots of features and not too expensive.

I rode 35-50 miles per day in 1992-94 and raced bikes in Kansas City on a 3.7 mile closed course but that was a long time ago. It has taken a while to get back in shape.

For the past two months, I have ridden this every day:

Hybrid (21 speed) bike in the highway and residential areas ..............................10-16 miles.

Come home and rest a bit then.......

Load Jake up on the trike and ride...................... 3-6 miles. 1/2 through, I park the trike so Jake & I can take a walk.

There is a pic of Jake and I riding the trike in my profile.

I am fully retired so I ride every day. I log the miles for now but each cycle has a computer on it so eventually, I'll record average speed and elapsed time so I can plot improvement.

That's the story of how I came back from the dead!

Flash

will083031

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    san antonio
    I try to hit 2 cardio bag classes a week, intense workout, have you taken a class taught by the owner Pete Hardy yet.... I thought I was gonna die. Henry teaches a good class, the last ten minute with his bag switch is definitely fun.

yes I have been to a few of Pete's classes he gets upset if he sees you doing your own thing. Henry is a good instructor also he usually asks everyone what they want to focus on abs, legs...ect. Anyone going to the home invasion seminar on Sat May 14?

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    yes I have been to a few of Pete's classes he gets upset if he sees you doing your own thing. Henry is a good instructor also he usually asks everyone what they want to focus on abs, legs...ect. Anyone going to the home invasion seminar on Sat May 14?
    Gonna try to make it depends on work.

DBDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Mont Belvieu, TX
    I would love to do Krav Maga, but there isn't anyplace around the Mont Belvieu area that I know of. Is there anything worth looking into around Baytown?
    Also...Roger-what time of day do you normally ride your bike? I haven't ridden mine in a looong time, but want to get it back out. You probably ride down my street sometimes.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Roger-what time of day do you normally ride your bike? I haven't ridden mine in a looong time, but want to get it back out. You probably ride down my street sometimes.

HEY Dawg,.....Yup, I ride your street almost every day. I have all the pro bicycle tools and a pro work stand. Let's get the beast fixed up and ride. I sent a PM. Being retired, I can ride anytime but usually about 2pm. I get my errands done then get on my bike, ride about 10-16 miles then get Jake aboard the trike later. It's strictly for fun and exercise with no pressure. I'm WAY out of the beetle helmet and matching jersey crew. It's all fun now.

Incidentally, I also have a big tandem. I just got new tires and tubes in last week and will get that back on the road, soon. If you want to try a tandem with your lady....now that's fun! Walmart has a pretty nice tandem online (only) for about $225. This is my second Tandem and both of them ran over $700. Two bills for a new tandem is unreal!

Taking the bikes down to the roads in the river bottoms is great, too. The place has moss hanging from huge trees and it's right out of a picture postcard. It's about an 8 mile ride just 8 miles from home.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    This thread was kind of sitting...forgotten so I figured I'd update.

My bicycle riding has really blossomed and I ride longer and farther now. The usual morning ride is 17 miles non stop, then I rest for awhile and ride the trike for another 6.0 miles around dinner time. Jake gets too hot so I try to ride with him at about 6pm when it's a little cooler.

I started riding in March and totals so far as of 7-28-11 are:
    Tricycle riding with Jake= 443.76 miles
    Hybrid (2 wheeler)= 769.38 miles
    Total= 1213.14 miles

I broke the rear axle in the trike and we are waiting on parts so I ride the Hybrid 23.0 miles every day. The Schwinn folks are sending me two axles at no charge as my trike has a 1 year warranty and I own another one just like it. Even out of warranty, the parts are $7 per axle so cost is minimal.

Having the trike broken cuts Jake out of the ride but we'll have the trike fixed as soon as the axle comes in. I also ordered new tires and tubes for the trike. Had two flats so I ordered some heavy duty tires. As long as the trike is down, we'll change the tires and tubes, too.

Flash

Top Bottom