• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I don't know about you but $800 and a hotel seems pretty reasonable. It was reasonable enough for the other 3 passengers. And, potentially for many other passengers who have been in that situation. I've been put up for the night like that. How do we know for sure the delay was unavoidable? Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe something came up last minute.

Yep, lots of knee jerk reactions going around.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Kar98,

SORRY but you are 100% WRONG. - According to federal law, ALL police officers (of any jurisdiction, who are serving at any airport that receives federal funds OR is under the supervision of the FAA) are "sworn in with a special deputation" as Deputy US Marshals or deputations from the FAA, DoT or Homeland security.
    (Next time that you fly, be sure to disregard the orders/directives of ANY police officer there & you'll find out what their authority actually is. - In point of fact, since 9-11-2001, the officers probably have TOO MUCH authority.)

yours, satx

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I don't know about you but $800 and a hotel seems pretty reasonable.

Assuming a doctor makes about $200K a year, divided by 260 working days, he'd make roughly $770 at work that day. So... nope, a net offer of $30 for upsetting a bunch of patients' schedule, having to catch up on extra undone work, still having to go and eat something, not having my stuff on me is in fact ludicrous.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    AustinN4,

Our local cable TV channel reported that he is a HS Special Agent, who was working at that time in the terminal.

Fox News said this AM that the Airport Police are CPD officers, who are "assigned to the Airport Authority". - As the airport receives federal funds, that means that the Airport Police of EVERY jurisdiction are "sworn in" as some sort of federal 0officer.
    (When our MP Battalion briefly "ran the security" at BWI after 9-11-2001, the USAMPC personnel were sworn in as SDUSM.)

yours, satx

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I don't know about you but $800 and a hotel seems pretty reasonable. It was reasonable enough for the other 3 passengers. And, potentially for many other passengers who have been in that situation. I've been put up for the night like that. How do we know for sure the delay was unavoidable? Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe something came up last minute.

Booohoooo, a small drop after the peanut gallery decides UA is at fault without full information. Remember the "horror" of markets in 2008? Where are we at now? Let's see where UA stock is at in 6+ months and reevaluate, shall we?
    The other three were taken off as well. They did not volunteer.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Assuming a doctor makes about $200K a year, divided by 260 working days, he'd make roughly $770 at work that day. So... nope, a net offer of $30 for upsetting a bunch of patients' schedule, having to catch up on extra undone work, still having to go and eat something, not having my stuff on me is in fact ludicrous.
    There's always a way to make it up if you're good at what you do.

Shit, making that much, he should have been flying first class somewhere.
    The other three were taken off as well. They did not volunteer.
    Well aware of that. They likely still got the deal.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    What I don't understand is why United didn't put their people on another airline. Granted it may have cost them money but United offered $1000 to each ($4000 total). If I am not wrong four tickets on Delta, Southwest or some other Fly during the night company would have been less.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Once they told him to leave and refused, he was trespassing and interfering with a flight crew.

The owner of property, not the customer, gets to decide for what reason.

True on trespass, but United problem is it appears they violated their own contract when they evicted him.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    2. FAA sets the maximum they can pay passengers depending on circumstances..

They set minimums, not maximums. The airline can give you a free plane if they want. Generally they do not have to pay much, as their is usually some Kramer-like idiot who takes the low-ball offer.

My best negotiation was ticket refund and 1st class seat on next flight out in 2 hours. Ironically it was on United Express.

eta

perhaps you meant "maximum they have to pay"

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Oh! A new angle!

The United Airlines passenger who was hauled off an overbooked plane is a poker-playing doctor from Kentucky with a sordid past.

Dr. David Dao, 69, who was captured in a now-viral video being forcibly dragged off the Louisville-bound flight at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport on Sunday, was working as a doctor specializing in pulmonary disease in Elizabethtown when he was convicted of trading prescription drugs for sexual favors. According to documents filed with the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure, Dao was arrested in 2003 on the drug-related offenses following an undercover investigation. The board’s probe into the criminal charges found that Dao became sexually interested in a male patient, Brian Case, whom he gave a physical examination to, including a genital examination, and whom he eventually made his office manager.

Case quit that job due to “inappropriate” remarks made by Dao, who then pursued him and arranged to give him prescription drugs in exchange for sexual acts, according to the documents, filed last year. In 2004, Dao was convicted on a slew of felony counts of obtaining drugs by fraud or deceit and was later placed on five years of supervised probation, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported.

Dao and co-defendant Case, identified in the documents by the state medical board as “Patient A,” were both indicted in the case. The medical board said Dao had a sexual relationship with Case and supplied him with narcotics while Case was his patient. The two would often meet at hotel rooms. The two allegedly worked together to obtain prescription narcotics at several pharmacies over three years, according to reports.

The Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure permitted Dao to continue practicing medicine in 2015 under certain conditions, after he completed his probation and underwent psychological evaluations, the Louisville Courier-Journal reported. Dao went to medical school in Vietnam in the 1970s before moving to the US, according to the Courier-Journal. Dao, who previously worked at Hardin Memorial Hospital in Elizabethtown and once owned a medical practice, is a grandfather and father of five, the Daily Mail reported. His wife, Teresa, who trained at Ho Chi Minh University in Saigon, is a pediatrician in Elizabethtown, according to the Daily Mail. Four of their five children are doctors.

Dao’s player profile on the World Series of Poker website lists his total earnings as $234,664 since he joined the poker circuit in 2006.

In that case, I'm going to change my answer to "**** him and the horse he rode in on."

http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Fox News said this AM that the Airport Police are CPD officers, who are "assigned to the Airport Authority".

True as far as it goes, the only problem is he was not Airport Police, a part of CPD.

He is/was an Aviation Security Officer - see job description at post #75 - a part of Chicago's Building Maintenance and Operations Group.

You, of all people, should know that just because it is on the news, even Fox, doesn't make it so

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom