• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Probably only used over short distances.
    They can’t make long distance. Plus summer heat means AC and batteries degrade in cold weather plus have to heat vehicle. Can’t tow any distance or heavy trailer. I can see EV for local in town driving in a car in small towns without traffic. Hate to be in Dallas during rush hours.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    A pickup is the worst use case for EV. Every time I use my pickup I'm moving shit around; usually over several hours. Moving any kind of payload kills the range, and even at level 3 charging it takes way to long to refuel.

The only practical use case for EV is as a city commuter car.
    You're both right and wrong in the same post. Every automaker has done its own research, and now independent research is being highlighted. Its something like 75% of pickup truck users tow something 1 time or less per year. and like 70% put something in the bed 1 time or less. And like 35% reported going off road 1 time or more in a year. That means the wide majority of pickup truck owners never haul or tow anything, never go off road, and have average drives under 70 miles per day. Theres also a reason most EV pickups are selling for 6-figure price tags. They know their buyers really well knowing full well that King Ranch platinum limited special edition for $110,000 probably isn't going to experience a hard usage.

Every time theres an EV truck thread its a lot of people claiming to haul 15,000lb trailers 800 miles every day. Either the research is flawed or guys on forums aren't telling the full truth and thinks everyone uses a truck just like they do.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    You're both right and wrong in the same post. Every automaker has done its own research, and now independent research is being highlighted. Its something like 75% of pickup truck users tow something 1 time or less per year. and like 70% put something in the bed 1 time or less. And like 35% reported going off road 1 time or more in a year. That means the wide majority of pickup truck owners never haul or tow anything, never go off road, and have average drives under 70 miles per day. Theres also a reason most EV pickups are selling for 6-figure price tags. They know their buyers really well knowing full well that King Ranch platinum limited special edition for $110,000 probably isn't going to experience a hard usage.

Every time theres an EV truck thread its a lot of people claiming to haul 15,000lb trailers 800 miles every day. Either the research is flawed or guys on forums aren't telling the full truth and thinks everyone uses a truck just like they do.
    Is it research or government mandate? People who buy a F250 diesel are not going to switch to an EV, at least not with the current state of EVs. I can’t imagine sitting in traffic in Dallas during rush hours in an EV. A hybrid maybe but not an EV watching the battery level drop.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Is it research or government mandate? People who buy a F250 diesel are not going to switch to an EV, at least not with the current state of EVs. I can’t imagine sitting in traffic in Dallas during rush hours in an EV. A hybrid maybe but not an EV watching the battery level drop.
    I semi agree with you: a plug-in hybrid is probably the way to go for most drivers (cars, pickups, whatever) since even an oil company confirmed most people's daily commute is under 60 miles round trip. If a plug-in hybrid had a ~75 mile capacity with an ICE engine to take over after that (not just to charge itself) that would reduce American's gasoline usage by something like 90% That might be a good thing, might be slightly dubious considering its an oil company admitting how to put itself out of the oil business. :shrug:

I don't believe average pickup truck usage is government mandated, I haven't seen a mandate telling people they can't tow a trailer on Thursdays. I understand CA and NY are saying no more ICE sales in 13+ years, but thats also intentional politicking of making drastic mandates so far into the future they cannot be enforced or held accountable for declaring that on its subjects. I'm referring to independent studies like THIS ONE. I have a very hard time believing every pickup truck manufacturer worldwide hasn't done similar studies in major markets. Range anxiety is very real, but I think once you realize a battery having 250+ miles of optimal range, doing a commute of 60 miles isn't something to sweat over. You don't panic if you've got an 1/8th of a tank of gas and hit a traffic jam because you know thats likely more than enough to get you home. Going slow is more efficient for an EV than going 80mph too. And I'll add: it takes more EV battery to power a heater than it does the AC.

According to Edwards’ data, 75 percent of truck owners use their truck for towing one time a year or less (meaning, never). Nearly 70 percent of truck owners go off-road one time a year or less. And a full 35 percent of truck owners use their truck for hauling—putting something in the bed, its ostensible raison d’être—once a year or less.

Thats what I was referring to in my prior post. No "study" is perfect but looking around in traffic when I lived in various states there was always someone in an empty pickup within eyeshot of my vehicle. Even out in semi-rural areas its not uncommon at all to see a driver alone with an empty 4-door pickup with not a scratch on it, trucks that are 30 years old or brank spankin new with paper tags on it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Either the research is flawed or guys on forums aren't telling the full truth and thinks everyone uses a truck just like they do.
    Or the truth is somewhere in between which means actual usage lies on a spectrum. For those on the towing/long haul end of the spectrum removing dino power as a choice effectively shunts them to wherever an ICE option exists.

These guys levelled a lighting, put bigger tires on it, and got about 190mi range on it. Some interesting things for aftermarket to consider when it comes to the new rear suspension on it though.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    ....No "study" is perfect but looking around in traffic when I lived in various states there was always someone in an empty pickup within eyeshot of my vehicle. Even out in semi-rural areas its not uncommon at all to see a driver alone with an empty 4-door pickup with not a scratch on it, trucks that are 30 years old or brank spankin new with paper tags on it.
    I find it necessary to use the same truck, with or without passengers, with or without cargo, short commute or several day trip.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    the wide majority of pickup truck owners...
    ...are brodozers that have to squat to pee. I know.
    lot of people claiming to haul 15,000lb trailers 800 miles every day
    Not even. Just using it like the 1/2 ton it's supposed to be. My pickup doesn't even get driven much. Most of the time I'm driving my cracked out city car.

I don't understand how you people with only one vehicle live your life.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I don't understand how you people with only one vehicle live your life.

I find it necessary to use the same truck, with or without passengers, with or without cargo, short commute or several day trip.

Ask this guy haha. I'm only shopping for a pickup truck older than me that wouldn't get used to haul anything more than a few bags of mulch. But I'm very clearly NOT in the minority for wanting a pickup because I just think they look cool. Yeah I'd love a sports car, but they cost way more than a pickup and have much less versatility even if I never use that versatility. I think thats primarily what drives (no pun intended) pickup sales. Guys really enjoy knowing their super duty has 1000ftlbs of torque and can pull a train uphill in 4WD even if the worst it sees is an 80" TV on the way back from costco for the next 20 years.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    If you want one buy it. If you don't then no reason to try to convince anyone of your opinion.
    if your talking to me I have already started the process damn almost 2 years ago. It just went into production this last week and If all goes smooth will be delivered
    some time next month

I also have a 71 gmc sprint,74 international scoutii and a 64 vw dunebuggy.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Congratulations on getting what you wanted. It was a general post to everyone trying to convince others.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    You want a B2000 with some handling mods and 2.5L Duratec swap. "Sports car" that can haul some mulch ;)
    I've all but given up on hardbodys, Rangers and Hiluxes. They either want way too much money or it looks like it was rolled down a mountain. I would absolutely love a small or mini truck and swap in a competent engine and suspension. I'd also love one of those Kei trucks like a Honda Acty. I also keep telling myself I wouldn't mind an old truck (theres a couple near me) with a bad engine and put in Ford's electric motor and battery "crate motor" setup. I think I'd miss shifting gears and hearing the pops and bangs of engines however. Still,

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Going slow is more efficient for an EV than going 80mph too. And I'll add: it takes more EV battery to power a heater than it does the AC.
    They are starting to use heat pumps in EV's now, so it won't be as bad as resistive heating. Same consumption as AC.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    They are starting to use heat pumps in EV's now, so it won't be as bad as resistive heating. Same consumption as AC.

OMG how could you think that EV's could possibly work for people who do not drive drive over 200 miles a day for the most part.

They will never work NO NO NO.

LOL

Top Bottom