• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm not talking about bulking up or training for marathons. Just methods of gaining and maintaining generally good fitness levels that don't involve boring hours at the gym.

Opinions on walking, jogging, biking, biking on trails at the state park, etc.

I'm easily bored by most fitness activities and considering some fun ways to get off my butt.
    DK Firearms

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Rode 20 miles on my road bike yesterday. Ended up burning 1400 calories. Might do a trail ride tomorrow on my mountain bike. On days I don't have time for that I do 10 50 yard sprints and then walk my dog 2 miles.

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I play about three hours of tennis 3 times a week and a couple of hours of "pickleball' - (no really) on the other days - that'll get your heart pumping sometimes and it's great for meeting folks & shouting too!

Last edited:

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Gonna be a while before I can talk myself in to running when not in danger, lol.

Used to be a pretty descent runner but just not active enough and the smokes had taken their toll on me.

I like the idea of riding on trails. I get out to the state park and walk every now and then but need to get more motivated. Last time I did about 2.5 miles on the trails dragging the kids in a utility wagon. That put a whoopin on me. Been a couple months since and I've mostly been vegetating.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I play about three hours of tennis 3 times a week and a couple of hours of "pickleball' - (no really) on the other days - that'll get your heart pumping sometimes and it's great for meeting folks & shouting too!

I tried tennis about 10 years ago. I was TERRIBLE at it, lol. It was quite a workout and lots of fun but there aren't really any courts in my area.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Cycling and boxing (beginner level MMA) are the only fitness activities I've every enjoyed. Hiking and walking I enjoy as well, but the calories burned just aren't the same for the equivalent time.

I've been walking about 12 miles a week, it's something.

Couyon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NW of Austin
    After having knee surgery a year ago, I've been on a weight loss program that includes about thirty miles of bicycle rides per week. My knees can handle peddling much better than walking or running. The trails and roads northwest of Austin are pretty decent for riding.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Rock climbing (outdoor or indoor). It's a full-body workout, not much "buy in" for equipment (~$200), and you'll get addicted after the first experience.

Personally, I hate to exercise but I love climbing (or other activities).

Some other activities to look into would be mountain biking, yoga/pilates, orienteering, cross-fit, parkour, or anything else that gets you out and about.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'd suggest you start small. Download a pedometer app for your smartphone if you have one and determine how many steps a day you're taking now. Then set a goal of increasing them to a higher level.

I've heard a typical office type worker takes around 2,000 - 2,500 steps a day. They say 6,000 is a good target if you're trying to be more active.

Start with the simple stuff like parking at the back of the parking lot and walking to the store. Don't worry about hitting the gym or anything strenuous yet. Start small and gradually become more active.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have some firewood you can cut and split for me. It's mostly oak so you know it'll be good and hard; good for your muscles. Also need to re-grade and put up a retaining wall. That would be one hell of a workout if you do that by hand. Actually now that I think of it, I have several "dirt" projects you could do. Also need to put up a pole barn. Best of all, I won't charge you. No gym membership!

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Tag... And there's my exercise for this month... I figure, 1 calorie per word, that about right? I'm on this weight loss thing like a fat guy on a couch.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not talking about bulking up or training for marathons. Just methods of gaining and maintaining generally good fitness levels that don't involve boring hours at the gym.
    There's a saying among the diabetic community that the best way to stay in good shape is to get a chronic disease and then be forced to successfully manage it. There's something to that notion that if you're motivated enough, you'll find something that keeps you moving. One of the more prominent writers in that community swears by hiking, especially over fairly rough terrain.

I kinda feel like the words of Jeff Cooper in Cooper on Handguns apply here. To address the question of what is the best handgun for personal defense, he posed a question, then used it to come up with an answer. IIRC, a near-exact (someone will have the text and correct me, I'm sure) recitation of his text was "Do you shoot regularly for fun? If so, use that."

So what do you think of as "fun" that also makes you break a sweat? I'd guess you should probably just do more of that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've considered getting a kayak several times and have heard its a pretty good workout. Got a couple places that would be good for it nearby.

Got a buddy who has one that I don't think gets used anymore (he got an airboat) so I may see if I can get a deal on it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So what do you think of as "fun" that also makes you break a sweat? I'd guess you should probably just do more of that.

That's great advice, and kinda what I'm trying to find.

The biggest hurdle is that sloth breeds sloth.

The more you do little, the more inclined you are to do little. Even when it comes to things you enjoy you begin to weigh effort vs reward. The simple act of being inactive causes energy levels to drop and makes it more challenging to become active.

Mountain biking (really trail biking in my area) sounds like a lot of fun as well as kayaking.

The next step would be balancing that with family time and finding ways to bring them together.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ooh, that'll be a tough one. Not because there's any reason I can't do it on off call weeks before work, but because mornings are my mortal enemy. Stealing away the sweet tranquility of sleep on a daily basis.

Top Bottom