• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ooh, that'll be a tough one. Not because there's any reason I can't do it on off call weeks before work, but because mornings are my mortal enemy. Stealing away the sweet tranquility of sleep on a daily basis.
    I relate to that. Problem I have exercising at night is I get too wound up to sleep then.
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In the evenings it's too easy for me to use the "I've been at work all day and I'm just ready to sit down" excuse. If I do get myself back up I usually sleep better for it.

Challenges on both sides. Just gonna have to set up some small goals and expand them in to larger goals.

Gonna think of some ways to get the family involved which will be a triple win. Everybody moving (though the kids are pretty active already), family time, and a built in support group to push me out the door.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We walked the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights tonight rather than driving.

We try to throw the football or play volleyball sometimes. When we can, we go camping and hiking.

I'm in the same boat. I got to set a good healthy example for the kids so they can see me working out too.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I HAVE to do my workouts in the morning.....I'm in the same boat of when 6 o'clock hits, I am tired/wore out/pissed off and just want to eat something and relax. That being said, I used to go workout after work when I was younger, but I didn't have to be at work at 6am then, either.

I usually try to be up at 3:30-3:45 and get in a good gym session, and I try to be in bed at like 8:00. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but it's what works for me. Usually. I started to lift heavy weights again, and two days ago I did a big day at the squat rack, increasing weight and decreasing reps until I did a couple of 350lb squats. I've definitely needed more sleep the last couple of nights, sleeping through alarms, which I NEVER do.

Intersting aside though....eventhough I was doing a 'leg day', my core is exhausted and sore, from having to stabilize that weight on my shoulders....doing a good leg workout with freeweights really is a full body experience!!!

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    go here and browse a while. you won't be disappointed! take note of the sample workouts at the bottom. they're fun and ass kicking.

RossTraining.com - Article Directory

idk your fitness background, so here's another site with general instruction on muscles, exercises, knowledge. i've been using it for years

ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Internet

if you're looking for more of an overall plan, check this guy out. he's more into broad strokes than specifically do this-do that get buff arrrrg! you'll have to give your email to get the fitness blueprint though - it's under Freebies -> Primal Blueprint Fitness E-book.

Mark's Daily Apple

cheers and good luck!

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Consider a used quality one. Cheap ones won't last long.

THIS.

I was halfway through the 25-ish mile bike trail around the Huntville state park when I sheard the main gears on my el-cheapo bike a long time ago......that was a long hike out dragging that thing up the hills and coasting down.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Never park close to a store. As far from the door as you can. Opposite side of the store of where you need to go. Park the opposite side of HEB, mall, park, game. Take the long way out.

Use a pedometer. You'll be surprised how much walking is involved with a simple trip like Lowe's. I've been a gym rat. It's well known that a brisk walk is the better of cardio. Low impact to knees and back. Walk, walk, then walk some more.

I've crushed a disc jumping off a flat trailer. Walking is the only exercise that relieves the pain. I have to stay in Damn near constant moving.

I went to a swap meet last weekend. I Polly walked no less then 5miles. Makes exercise enjoyable.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My problems with exercise are mostly mental. Everything I do these days seems lame and half ass so they're not motivational.

Walking? 30 min of elliptical?

God, what happened to me? How did I get here? lol

Maybe we should field a TGT team for Tough Mudder in Texas in 2015.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    It might seem lame but 30 min waking a day is all most people need to stay in reasonable shape.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Picked up this today for $99.

63e90a550c33cd2571f6f3668c69f59a.jpg

Put about a half mile on it while getting the derailers, brakes, and seat adjusted to my liking and did a few laps around the yard. Gonna take it to the state park tomorrow if I'm not working.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas

Put about a half mile on it while getting the derailers, brakes, and seat adjusted to my liking and did a few laps around the yard. Gonna take it to the state park tomorrow if I'm not working.

That should work. I've put many a mile in the mountains in Pennsylvania on a cheap "Jeep" brand mountain bike I found in a relative's garage.

If you really get into it, a more expensive bike will probably be worth the investment and also provide a good excuse to take the family on trips to places like Colorado where the real trails are.

Biking and hiking to me are more recreational activities that I seem only to have the time for on the weekends. Meaning unless you have wide open roads or a good park near your house, it takes so much time to really get out there and do it. You only need about an hour or so of intense exercise every few days to stay in good shape and for me just going out and running or riding an exercise bike early in the morning is the most convenient. Weights and body-weight exercises are also effective too.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    State park is only about 15 minutes away with about 1.5 miles of wooded and lightly rough trail and another 2-2.5 miles of flat trails. Plus the roadways that can be ridden.

There is a Corps of engineers park that also has a new trail but I haven't been there because no CC.

If I enjoy it enough I do plan to invest in a better bike, but I think this one will make a good test ride for a season or so. Gonna replace the seat though.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    State park is only about 15 minutes away with about 1.5 miles of wooded and lightly rough trail and another 2-2.5 miles of flat trails. Plus the roadways that can be ridden.

There is a Corps of engineers park that also has a new trail but I haven't been there because no CC.

If I enjoy it enough I do plan to invest in a better bike, but I think this one will make a good test ride for a season or so. Gonna replace the seat though.

Sounds like a plan. Hills are great for a good workout. If there are any roads in neighborhoods around you with steep hills, just riding up and down them for an hour every few days will get anybody in phenomenal shape.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Enjoy the new whip.

Cycling is awesome. Riding across the Lamar bridge in downtown Austin in front of a bus is...exhilarating!

Top Bottom