• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    In 7.62x39.

any words of advice?

this will be my first 7.62x39, or AK of any kind. it is listed in the classifieds here, so i wont repost the pic.

what are some things im liekly to run into along the way, who makes the best parts for replacements (and what i might want to replace if anything)

aftermarket stocks? yes or no? if yes which one is your favourite?

etc etc.
    Gun Zone Deals

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    heheh
    yeah i dont mind ugly if those cases.

i guess thats why ive got 2 hi points ;;)

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I had a yugo underfolder and it was an awesome gun..Shot everything and never jammed on me. Never replaced anything. I have shot many and I like most of them except the WASR10 .. you can just feel how cheap those things are when you shoot them.

Traded the yugo for a Kowa spotting scope.. it was a good trade for me but I do regret not having it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The underfolders and most side folders have truly horrible stocks. The standard stocks aren't great, either, but are doable. If you're a taller guy, you might not like the commie-length stocks, but you can get a US-sized stock that has 1.25" more length of pull. I didn't at first, but wound up preferring the shorter stock. The good side folder is the one on the AK-100 series rifles. It's identical to the standard stock except for the hinge and hardware to hold it against the receiver. It's actually a good design (it's better than what the SCAR rifles have) that folds to the proper side of the receiver.

AK sights suck. Why Euros insist on putting handgun sights on rifles baffles me... You can get a better rear sight in the form of a Mojo (look it up), but I'd strongly suggest you invest in an ULtimak gas tube. Lower furniture might take a little modification for it to fit, but then you can put an Aimpoint on and it'll hold zero. Use the lowest mount you can get and you wind up with a lower third co-witness. ;)

Most pistol grips are too damn skinny for comfortable manipulation through mag changes and such. Tapco makes a killer replacement with their SAW-style grip. That's about the only Tapco product I'd buy, though.

There are a crapton of cheap, crappy accessories for the AK. Some to avoid are the cheap railed hand guards (top rail isn't suitable for accurate installation of optics for one thing), cheap telescoping stocks that will break (if you want a telescoping stock, do it right and go with Ace. Spendy, but it won't break.), and top covers with optics rails on them (won't hold zero) - get an Ultimak or an AK with a side rail to attach a mount to.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    that post is going to keep me googling fro a while thanks sage.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bad thing is that I'm pretty sure I missed some stuff. Any questions, just ask. I'm not some kind of expert, but I've been around the block once or twice.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    For one thing, Red Star Arms.com on the net answers all AK questions, parts, mods, etc. World of info there. Now, owning and shooting an AK47 if its a good one brings to mind the thrill of what happened the first time in the teen age years in a car parked in a dark place in the company of a pretty female with the same intentions.....Just Great and never forgotten !

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I don't care what some people say, in my book there is no such thing as an ugly AK! Sure, some are prettier than others; but for me that particular rifle has been a source of fascination for many years...

Cheers! M2

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I bought a WASR right before the rush so it was still a bargin buy. I swapped the stock wood for a wire folder (tantal type). I wanted a short profile rifle for a trunk gun or something easy to conceal. It fits the bill, but shooting it was a PITA. I then wrapped the stock body in paracord and that actually tamed the discomfort quite a bit. I stuck a big honking butt pad on it and it's not too bad to shoot now at all.

rf1.jpg

rf3-1.jpg

Refinished in in AlumahydeII for appearance sake. Never jams and shoots quite nice.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The very first money I'd put into it is a trigger thingy my friend bought to get rid of the trigger slap (ugh) the AK has. It lightens very little but it's now smooth and accuracy has tremendously improved. The difference is night and day! Can't recall who makes it but it's only about $25 or $30 and worth twice the money at least and it's easy and quick to put in. I'll call him later and get the details for you.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The trigger upgrade is by TAPCO (and probably others make one). TAPCO - INTRAFUSE G2 AK Trigger Group - Single It comes in a single hook and a double hook. When you take the receiver cover off you can tell whether it's a double or single hook. The link prices them at $32.99 but you can buy them from other distributors a little less. It's really a great improvement. I couldn't believe how much better the trigger was when I first shot it. Good luck.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    A lot of the WASRs that come in and sell stateside have the G2 in them. I believe there is a small G2 on the trigger to identify it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The trigger upgrade is by TAPCO (and probably others make one). TAPCO - INTRAFUSE G2 AK Trigger Group - Single It comes in a single hook and a double hook. When you take the receiver cover off you can tell whether it's a double or single hook. The link prices them at $32.99 but you can buy them from other distributors a little less. It's really a great improvement. I couldn't believe how much better the trigger was when I first shot it. Good luck.

Look at a Garand trigger and AK trigger side by side sometime. Try to keep your mind from 'sploding....

Also, go for the double-hook, no matter what. It puts a more even load on the axis pin and won't wear the receiver out nearly as fast. If your AK is set up for a single hook, just add another notch for the extra hook. All it takes is a steady hand and a Dremel (or similar) with a carbide burr. Make sure you function test the trigger before calling it done. If the notch doesn't go far enough forward, the trigger won't release or will get stuck and stop working.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I have had three AKs, first was an canted sight one gotten rid of at no financial loss, No.2 is my WASR-10/63 which is well built, accurate to my ability and with an added Mojo rear aperature sight, adjustable for a GI type sight picture. A scope mount rail on the l/h lower receicer, a scope and mount, which is quick detach and holds a zero when placed back on the rifle. And woodwork is painted black and the pistol grip exchanged for one more fitting the hand.

Number three is an Armscor, made in the Phillipines, AK-22...Same size and looks as a real AK and ordered a 25 rd. mag to replace the 10 rd. one, It is accurate, requires high velocity .22 ammo, and the Grandkids love it. My Ruger 10/22 will shoot circles around it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    My Yugo M70AB2 was a Century build with a canted front sight. I contacted them and sent it back for correction. You can ship it directly to them (as they are an FFL) and they can send it directly back to you, but you have to use FedEx and you can't just take it to any of their locations. It has to be a specific one, contact them for details.

Balloo93, is that an AK-specific upper handguard? I have a similar one on a Chinese paratrooper SKS, but have never seen one like that for an AK.

Cheers! M2

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I used to have a Norinco MAK-90 years ago. I wish I still had it. The trigger was great and it was pretty tight. It was decently accurate but not a nail driver. I used it a lot for hog hunting in the thick brush and had a lot of fun with it. Not sure what everyone else's experience is with those. Man, I wish I still had it, lots of fun. Here's my 2 cents...

I eventually put a ProPoint on it. Originally mounted to a cover with a rail; those change zero every time to you remove them and put them back on. Since I habitually clean my weapons every time I shoot and had to remove it this got annoying fast. Make sure to mount it somewhere more permanent (e.g. receiver).

Drums, I had a 75 rounder. Pretty cool the first time, but ridiculously heavy when loaded up. I walk hunted a lot and it was much easier to have extra mags close to the body in a pocket to distribute the weight.

Other than that all stock. Wood furniture with thumbhole stock. May have experimented with synthetic furniture to cut down the weight.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    My Yugo M70AB2 was a Century build with a canted front sight. I contacted them and sent it back for correction. You can ship it directly to them (as they are an FFL) and they can send it directly back to you, but you have to use FedEx and you can't just take it to any of their locations. It has to be a specific one, contact them for details.

Balloo93, is that an AK-specific upper handguard? I have a similar one on a Chinese paratrooper SKS, but have never seen one like that for an AK.

Cheers! M2

AK specific. Forgot who had them though, it's been awhile.

Top Bottom