• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I guess I misunderstand regarding the hangun to rifle thing and back. My understanding was if you purchased an AR lower and identified it on a 4473 as a handgun it would then, of course, could be built into a handgun (barrel less than 16" and no stock) and be considered a handgun but it could be made into a rifle at a later date and changed back at will. If was registered as a rifle initally, it could never legally be made into a pistol. That is what my FFL (a trusted friend) led me to believe. Is that incorrect?
    Guns International

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    so i was looking and i saw a carbine setup for the beretta neos. and that got me ta thinking, can i do the opposite with the ak? ive wanted to play with a pistol in a rifle cartridge, but dont need one so much as to buy a dedicated one.

hoping fro the added bonus of converting it back and forth giving me an intimate knowledge and understanding of the weapon as well.

I picked up a Romanian Draco-C last month for $350, and I believe some vendors have had them even cheaper online but once you factor in shipping it will come out to about the same...

IMG_4327.jpg

Classified as a pistol by the ATF, it still uses the same 7.62x39 round as the "traditional" AK, as well as the same magazines. The bonus is that it is imported as is, and all Century does is add a TAPCO G2 trigger to the thing, so no fear of sloppy CAI builds!

And later on, if you're interested, you can fill out an ATF Form 1 and pay the $200 tax stamp to convert it to a SBR!

By the way, I did the "sling mod" to my Draco, which involves cutting a small slot in the back of the grip to run a loop of paracord through the bolt inside. This allows you to add a sling to the firearm...

Cheers! M2

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Ok any of you AK guru's wanna help a Newb out? I think my next project is a yugo m92 krink kit with either the ak74 side folder stock or the underfolder kit. Now I have owned ak's, shot ak's, w/e but I have never built one so I don't know the first damn think about how to build up the receivers of which ones will work with this kit I am doing google searches trying to find the appropriate reading material but most of returned results are just yugo's for sale.

If anyone wants to help me complete this task in Austin over the next few months I can return the favor with anything ar or certain rifles/pistols or a 18 pack of beer?

This is what Is similar to what I am going for:
    SBR AK.jpg

Thanks,
    Jeremy.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Jeremy

Here's a good overview on what it takes to build an AK...

How to Build an AK-47

I would also recommend The AK Files Forums as there is a lot of great info and knowledge on that site.

That said, AK builds are not easy and do require some specific tools. I considered building a M70B1 from a parts kit, then decided I didn't have the time/skills/tools. If you aren't sure if you can do it, or have the right equipment; then you may consider sending the kit off to a professional builder. Just a suggestion...

Cheers! M2

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I appreciate it. I have the skill the question is time or money. I am throwing a bone for help though :)... but I will do the research as I have suggested to others and let yall know what I decide

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I guess I misunderstand regarding the hangun to rifle thing and back. My understanding was if you purchased an AR lower and identified it on a 4473 as a handgun it would then, of course, could be built into a handgun (barrel less than 16" and no stock) and be considered a handgun but it could be made into a rifle at a later date and changed back at will. If was registered as a rifle initally, it could never legally be made into a pistol. That is what my FFL (a trusted friend) led me to believe. Is that incorrect?

A dealer cannot transfer a virgin stripped AR lower as a pistol or as a rifle. It gets done as "other". As far as BATFE is concerned, if it ever had a stock on it, it's a rifle. Having purchased an "other", you can build it as either a rifle or a handgun.

Ok any of you AK guru's wanna help a Newb out? I think my next project is a yugo m92 krink kit with either the ak74 side folder stock or the underfolder kit. Now I have owned ak's, shot ak's, w/e but I have never built one so I don't know the first damn think about how to build up the receivers of which ones will work with this kit I am doing google searches trying to find the appropriate reading material but most of returned results are just yugo's for sale.

If anyone wants to help me complete this task in Austin over the next few months I can return the favor with anything ar or certain rifles/pistols or a 18 pack of beer?

This is what Is similar to what I am going for:
    View attachment 6231

Thanks,
    Jeremy.

Takes special tools to do, and your first one isn't a good one to do without someone experienced to help. AR's are the "skill level 1" builds... AKs? Not so much.

AKbuilder.com has (had?) the best rivets. Nodakspud.com should have the receiver you need. You'll need some 922(r) parts (not sure if that applies to NFA stuff off the top of my head) and after the Form 4 you'll be good to go with proper assistance. I know that there's a place in Houston that would probably build it for you, though.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    So press, riveter, barrel pin punch, drill press? I can get my hands on most of those things. What do you think about the jigs they sell for this stuff? Any recommendations? Thanks for the links sage I am starting to get more educated on the Ak and I might just be building up the confidence to give it a shot.

*edit* also I am looking for the experienced someone here to hold my hand :) .. Wasn't there a guy advertising for a bit in central texas that makes ak's has all the gear and charged a small fee to let you build it with him at his shop?

jcm

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Add a Dremel to the mix and you're about there.

I never bought all the tools so I don't remember the brand I used (want to say AKbuilder), but the jigs make things go a lot better, especially the trunnion and trigger guard rivets. The rear support rivets are pretty easy, actually. Big vise and big hammer will take care of those if you make plates to form the rivet heads properly. The trunnion is the hard part because you have to mash the rivets inside. The AK I have, we didn't have all those cool tools yet, so we used a plate and a modified bolt cutter to form the trunnion rivets. We couldn't rivet the trigger guard on, so we used a backing plate inside the receiver and screwed that together. Later, when my buddy got the right tools I went over and did the trigger guard right.

IMO the hardest parts to do are getting the kit apart without screwing it up. Especially the barrel pin, barrel (some of the Romanian kits have galled barrels and frozen pins) and drilling out the rear support rivets on fixed stock rifles can be fun because they're kind of small diameter and quite long. Drill bits want to wander.

... I have a spare rear support now, though. All de-milled and ready to go in. :D

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I am looking at a demilled ak-74 krink Bulgarian kit. It does not come with a barrel but they sell them that are just about ready to go. It looks like It is going to run about $1060 for all the parts. I am going with the 74 because of how damn inexpensive the ammo is and the fact the m92 kits are about impossible to find right now. Also I can have the barrel thread 1/2x28 and use my phantom on it.

I will get the receiver and start on the paperwork. Hopefully in that time I can find someone that has more knowledge in my area. I am trying to talk some shooting buddies to go in on the tools with me and we all build up our own kits to mitigate cost. They all rant and rave about how they want AK's well I am giving them the opportunity to put their money where there mouths are..

Again thanks for the links, info, etc Sage good stuff and I appreciate it!

Jcm

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm glad I could be helpful. I just wish I could help you more than I did, but I only really built the one and it wasn't all me doing it.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    By the way, I did the "sling mod" to my Draco, which involves cutting a small slot in the back of the grip to run a loop of paracord through the bolt inside. This allows you to add a sling to the firearm...

Cheers! M2
    I am glad you posted that. That is the cheapest and easiest way to add a single point sling to an AK. I am glad you posted that I had been looking for a way to do that on mine for a while.

akarfal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Johnson county
    ak build

So press, riveter, barrel pin punch, drill press? I can get my hands on most of those things. What do you think about the jigs they sell for this stuff? Any recommendations? Thanks for the links sage I am starting to get more educated on the Ak and I might just be building up the confidence to give it a shot.

*edit* also I am looking for the experienced someone here to hold my hand :) .. Wasn't there a guy advertising for a bit in central texas that makes ak's has all the gear and charged a small fee to let you build it with him at his shop? jcm

He goes by SaigaMan2 on www.theakforum.net His shop is in Denton and he advertises the in ak services thread. There are a few guys that hold build parties in the DFW area. Do not assume that all builds go right together, although most do, there is always that one that is a real pain. Had one of those a couple weeks ago.

NJ-TNP'r

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Texas
    Words of Advice: DON'T GET ONE, DON'T GET ONE! They suck there structural integrity is pretty much nothing, I would compare it to that of a wet paper towel. I had a friend who was shooting one and it just blew up in his hands. So basically if you want a good gun and keep your hand get an AR-15. One of those is your best bet.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I do not believe that any ak "sucks". Their track record, is in my opinion, much more solid than that of an AR. If I had to carry one rifle in a life or death situation my AR would remain a safe queen and my Romanian would be at my side.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Lol.. Thanks for the advice but do you know how many m16's and ar-15s have blown up on people? Also no other design of weapon has been as mass produced on a scale like that or taken as many lives as it... You can't unearth a m16 after years in the ground and put a clip in it and expect it to run. It has a pretty outstanding track record.

Besides that post above guys.. I will tell you where I am going with my decision.

I don't want to put the time and money into this project and screw it up.. or even if I don't screw it up get something I don't want.

So I am going to go with a Bulgarian krinkov ak-74 kit and even though it will look like shit stick a yhm flash hider up front to run my phantom on... I can take it off and use a krink hider at times also. I am going to hire out a reputable builder to do this with as the damn krink kits are $750+ It will have to be SBR'ed so this is going to be a many month project but some day I will get pictures up of the end project.

NJ-TNP'r

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Texas
    Oh yeah, a member in the militia I am in had an arsenal AK explode at range and arsenals are supposed to be the greatest quality. Would someone want to explain that? I would trust my AR and Hi-point over any AK and 1911.

Top Bottom