• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Katy, TX
    First, the recoil from 7.62x39 is not that bad, and I don't see a need for a recoil buffer. Shit, compared to 7.62x54R, it's almost nominal! As some have said, if you can't handle the recoil of an AK-47, then maybe you should move to a AK-74 or even an AK-22!

Secondly, I don't like the idea that it interferes with the action of the bolt. It can and has caused the rifle not to cycle properly.

Thirdly, and probably most importantly, they are know to cause a significant increase in carrier-to-rear trunnion contact, damaging receivers. They have also been known to cause rivets to loosen up. AKs are tough, but when you introduce parts that cause parts to strike each other that were never intended to do so, even they will fall apart.

Lastly, if it was such a great device, then why don't more AK owners use it? Most experienced AK owners don't like or use them.

One of the best quotes I ever heard about them was..."A buffer does exactly what it was designed to do. Unfortunately, what it was designed to do is to separate people from their money!"
    I prefer to keep my AKs the way Mikhail Kalashnikov intended them to be!
    anim_ak.gif

Cheers! M2

I never said the recoil from my AK was bad before the buffer, just saying since installation the recoil has been reduced. Heck...I have one in my 10/22 as well!

I guess what I don't get is, when I take the top cover off and cycle the bolt slowly to watch it, it just seems the buffer makes sense. Seems the rear of the bolt would be happier slamming into that piece of rubber than the rear of the receiver

Like i said earlier though, I'm no firearms expert by any means.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The buffer occupies space that was meant to be there, therefore it transfers more energy to a part of the rifle where it normally isn't expected or designed to be at a greater level.

Cycling the bolt in slow motion doesn't completely replicate what happens when the gun is actually fired, watch this and see how far the carrier goes back and how close to the rear trunnion it is. It actually hits it pretty hard on several occasions. Now you've added something in that space, and even while you may think it is "buffering" thing in reality it is increasing the impact!

Repeat that over time and you've got a potential for busted or popped rivets, cracked receivers, etc.

If you're still not convinced, go over to any of the multiple AK forums out there and do a little research. For the most part, you will see that the only people that use these things are those new to the rifle; and more times than naught, the problem people think can be fixed by these buffers would be better fixed by a better spring.

But hey, it's your rifle, do what you want with it! I am just trying to inform you of the possible downsides to adding that device to it.

Cheers! M2

Shooter04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Katy, TX
    You know come to think of it, this weekend at the range when I first put the buffer in, after about my first 100 rounds, two of the rivets came loose. The one that holds the trigger in place and the one that goes under neath the hammer. I think I will take this out now.

What about the one for the 10/22? It occupies no additional space in the rifle. Just slip out the metal piece at the rear and replace it with the buffer.

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    I guess I'm a sucker for the brochures. Said it'd extend the rifles life by reducing wear.

It happens man no shame in that.I have a drawer full on gun crap in the garage that was supposed to be the next best thing in firearms. The problem is most accessory guys won't tell you that fixing one "problem" usually creates another.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It happens man no shame in that.I have a drawer full on gun crap in the garage that was supposed to be the next best thing in firearms. The problem is most accessory guys won't tell you that fixing one "problem" usually creates another.

I think most of us are guilty of the same, I am just glad I didn't fall for the old "Pager Pal" bullshit sales pitch and did some research before I found out what a piece of shit it really is!

As for the 10-22, I honestly don't know if it was designed for or will take a recoil buffer without problem, I am just familiar with their negative impact on AKs.
    At least it was cheap!

Cheers! M2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you're still not convinced, go over to any of the multiple AK forums out there and do a little research. For the most part, you will see that the only people that use these things are those new to the rifle; and more times than naught, the problem people think can be fixed by these buffers would be better fixed by a better spring.

And/or a brake. I ran a PWS J-Tac brake on my AK for a while (until it pissed enough people off that I changed it out) with a +10% Wolff spring, and it smoothed the AK out considerably.

What you're saying makes sense. Instead of a little more movement on a spring with a known rate, you're putting something in to act like a spring that has an insanely high spring rate. It's going to transfer more energy than if you just let the parts hit each other. Then they'd have a little more deceleration under that spring before impact, but you're actually just moving the impact to a place where there's higher velocity.

I tried to run one of these buffers once. It caused my rifle to short stroke when I tried to load it, so it never even saw use at the range before I trashed it. Found the action spring and went that route instead. It's still pretty smooth, even without the brake.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have a Yugo AK from Century and it is a great gun. M70AB2 I believe is the model number.

If it's an underfolder, then that's the correct designation. Make sure the front sight isn't canted, they will fix it if it is but you'll have to send it back to them.

Otherwise, they're great AKs! Some people don't like the folding stock, but do the paracord mod (wrap it on the side your cheek rests on, Google or ask if you have questions) and shoot the heck out of it! They're built like tanks!

Yeah...back in the mid-90's when I got my Mustang, right after CHL went through. Finally gave it away.....don't think they've ever forgiven me!

I came "this close" to buying one shortly after returning to the States. It was one of the first gun shows I had been to (might have even been the first!). They really put on a good show, but for some reason I hesitated and I am glad I did (it's better to be lucky than good!). I later found out that several of my buddies had and hated them. A few offered to give me theirs for free! I have yet to meet anyone who actually uses one, or will admit to every having used one; but they sell them under the new name (Cell/PDA Pal) to protect the guilty!

They're also $64.95 these days, according to their web site. Jeez!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom