• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Oh yeah, a member in the militia I am in had an arsenal AK explode at range and arsenals are supposed to be the greatest quality. Would someone want to explain that? I would trust my AR and Hi-point over any AK and 1911.

overpressure old soviet ammo?
    stuck your barrel in the dirt crawling under your homeade barbed wire /mud pit obstacle course and got it clogged?
    bent barrel practicing bayonet technique?
    crappy militia 'smith?
    no militia smith?
    dont take care of your guns?
    left the boresighter it?

i dunno anything really.
    mos tof the time when a gun blows up, the problem is due to user negligence

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Jeremy, hands down go with the 74 hollow side folder stock. Those under folders absolutely suck to try and get a cheek weld on. The 74 stock is actually pretty damn good for that and usable.

Dude, do it! They are fun as heck and cool, and that's reason enough.

Whenever guns have kABOOMs, the first thing I am most suspicious of is the ammo. I can't tell you how many different high quality guns I've seen as well as have had documented KB's, and it can almost always be boiled down to bad factory ammo (overload, improper specs), bad hand load (overloaded, people don't pay attention), or other ammo-related issues. I wouldn't go off half-cocked and automatically assume all AK's or all Arsenals are now trash cause of one case of a KB. There are far more documented cases out there of the high quality of Arsenal AK's.

Anything can fail. Plan and train accordingly. The only universal truth is Murphy is a rat bastard and is everywhere, so watch out for him.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Many accounts say otherwise wolf!! Also wolf it is funny how you make a new post for each response you give... Atta way to jack up that post count :) .. good thinking.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I am going for it.. and besides that stock.. the main reason .. dot dot dot.. Is because you can get 60grn hp 1080 rounds of 5.45 for $110 .. now before someone says well Austex they are going to ban the import of ammo soon and you are screwed.. At that price I can stock up enough rounds that it would take me a lifetime to shoot in Semi.

Yeah I brought up the m16 Kabooms only to point out that his favorite perfect weapons platform has also exploded on many occasions usually due to ammo or error than just a faulty gun. Muzzle in the dirt is a good one also.

YouTube - Gun Explodes ...:

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Many accounts say otherwise wolf!! Also wolf it is funny how you make a new post for each response you give... Atta way to jack up that post count :) .. good thinking.

hehe yeah that was an unfounded assumption and i freely admit it.

the multiple post think is me reading somehting, responding and then seeing something else and responding again. not intentional post jacking LoL.
    i save that stuff for the other thread ... >=()

all out ammo import ban? wtf.... all the best ammo is from other places. are they trying to get these companies to come and setup factories inside the us or what? or are they jsut trying to starve us of ammo...?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Definitely do it. I've been eyeballing a short 74 for quite a while now. I actually almost bought a receiver today...but I'm hovering between that and a Micro Galil...and I've still got a few random receivers laying around looking for builds as it is. Jeez, I need an assistant before anything!

redcanine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Dallas
    Congrats on your move to the AK world. I agree with the others that these are real beauties! Mine came with Tapco furniture (Tapco.com) and I've owned an all wood furniture one in the past. I have to say the Tapco gear really looks nice and makes it lighter as well. I highly recommend the Tapco mags cause they just look great with the rifle.

For accessories, I would stick with the obvious Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter or CDNN Sports, Inc..

Bob

Shooter04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Katy, TX
    Read through all eight pages....some great info in here! I'm new when it comes to firearms (own two rifles for about 8 months total), but I've done a heck of a lot of research on the AK platform, the WASR in particular as that is what I bought. It's a sweet rifle I have to say. Picked it up September '10 for $379.99 plus shipping and transfer fee from Atlantic Firearms. So far I've put about 700 rounds through it and it's jammed once. Firing pin hit the primer but no boom. Ejected the cartridge, took out the mag, reloaded the bullet, and tried again. Went boom the second time .

The only ammo I've used is this stuff. Cheaper than dirt sells it for 18 cents a round....

AMM-6407 - Ammo 7.62x39 Ulyanovsk FMJ 122 Grain 20 Round Box Made in Russia 2396 fps Steel Cased Polymer Coated.

Good, clean, cheap, and fun!

Here's the WASR the day I brought it home...

6qlllf.gif

And here she sits as of today...

2drazj9.jpg

Modifications as of now are...

---Timber Smith Birch furniture

---Recoil Buffer

---UTG Leapers tri-rail under the barrel (bipod going on in the future)

---UTG dust cover rail (Magpul back up sights going on in future)

---Korean 40 round RPK mag

---Chinese surplus sight tools

---Bulldog AK-47 cut out case

Here's a pic of that recoil buffer. This thing works great! I'd estimate about 20% - 30% recoil reduction. It feels like I'm shooting my buddies .223

99qjjc.gif

Best $15 you could spend!

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    That WASR looks a lot better, but there is a lot of debate on those recoil buffers. I for one won't use them...

I agree if it were meant to be there it would have be designed with it.I wasn't completely convinced until i started finding posts in several forums that the buffer made no difference at all,and sometimes caused performance issues.

Shooter04

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Katy, TX
    Can't comment on performance yet, only had it in for a week. But as for felt recoil, it definitely reduced that.

I did read online somewhere that after prolonged use (a few thousand rounds), some of the lower quality buffers come apart.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    First, the recoil from 7.62x39 is not that bad, and I don't see a need for a recoil buffer. Shit, compared to 7.62x54R, it's almost nominal! As some have said, if you can't handle the recoil of an AK-47, then maybe you should move to a AK-74 or even an AK-22!

Secondly, I don't like the idea that it interferes with the action of the bolt. It can and has caused the rifle not to cycle properly.

Thirdly, and probably most importantly, they are know to cause a significant increase in carrier-to-rear trunnion contact, damaging receivers. They have also been known to cause rivets to loosen up. AKs are tough, but when you introduce parts that cause parts to strike each other that were never intended to do so, even they will fall apart.

Lastly, if it was such a great device, then why don't more AK owners use it? Most experienced AK owners don't like or use them.

One of the best quotes I ever heard about them was..."A buffer does exactly what it was designed to do. Unfortunately, what it was designed to do is to separate people from their money!"
    I prefer to keep my AKs the way Mikhail Kalashnikov intended them to be!
    anim_ak.gif

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom