• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pyrogenic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Just ordered the Glasers for my pistols for home defense. 1clip for the 9 and 45. Anyone not know about these great loads for in-home in-neighborhood use?
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hate to bust your bubble......

They suck

What kind of pistols do you have that take clips?

Pyrogenic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    They are not designed to penetrate much - 1-3 inches. But they 'explode' the shot laterally and destroy many soft things in a hurry. The point is not penetrating through walls and hitting others.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    They are not designed to penetrate much - 1-3 inches. But they 'explode' the shot laterally and destroy many soft things in a hurry. The point is not penetrating through walls and hitting others.

That's true, they do what they are designed to, I'm just not a fan of what they were designed to do.

Pyrogenic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Ok. See I've got close neighbors and kids in the house, and I am impressed by the lower possibility of my hitting someone in the next room or across the driveway with a missed shot. Once I leave the house I'm carrying hydra Shok's or hornady CD's.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

No, they do not explode. They do penetrate Walsh, but do not provide adequate penetration in people to be effective self defense rounds. They perform worse with clothed people.

The Box O' Truth #4 - Miscellaneous Rounds Meet the Box O' Truth

Glaser Safety Slugs: Shot and Thought

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Brassfetcher_evaluates_9mm_Glaser_Safety_Slug.pdf

Glaser are a gimmick. I would never consider using them.

Pyrogenic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    I don't think so - they are already bb's - those don't break up, they just head off in different directions... Supposedly...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Kinda, but wrapped in a copper jacket to keep them together until impact.

They don't come anywhere near the recommended minimum penetration and your not going to hit a vital.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I researched "Glaser Safety Slugs" for a long time and settled on them for my .357 Magnum bedroom gun. I went with that for years until about two years ago when I switched to 9mm for my house guns.

The guys correctly pointed out the shortcomings of using them. Heavy clothing, cell phones and belt buckles will definitely defeat the projectile. Along with that, however, the Glaser bullet delivers 100% energy transfer to the target. There is no over penetration with a Glaser so the energy it carries is completely transferred to the target. Resulting wounds are nasty when the #12 shot and copper shell disperses.

The big gain in using Glasers is that if you live in an apartment and miss the bad guy in an incident, the round will disintegrate when it hits a wall or door jamb. It's not going anywhere else. That's a plus because you are responsible for anything that bullet does and you may as well put a leash on it.

For me, the biggest drawback is their cost. You will NOT be inclined to practice with Glasers or to test their function in your semi automatic pistol. I was willing to use them in a revolver. I'd never use them in a semi auto and using them without a sufficient trial for function is simply irresponsible! If you choose to burn about $50 worth of Glasers in your semi auto, I'm all for it. Without that trial, they would be off limits for me.

Flash

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I researched "Glaser Safety Slugs" for a long time and settled on them for my .357 Magnum bedroom gun. I went with that for years until about two years ago when I switched to 9mm for my house guns.

The guys correctly pointed out the shortcomings of using them. Heavy clothing, cell phones and belt buckles will definitely defeat the projectile. Along with that, however, the Glaser bullet delivers 100% energy transfer to the target. There is no over penetration with a Glaser so the energy it carries is completely transferred to the target. Resulting wounds are nasty when the #12 shot and copper shell disperses.

The big gain in using Glasers is that if you live in an apartment and miss the bad guy in an incident, the round will disintegrate when it hits a wall or door jamb. It's not going anywhere else. That's a plus because you are responsible for anything that bullet does and you may as well put a leash on it.
    No they dont. In fact, they pass right through several layers of sheetrock. They do not provide enough penetration in humans to be effective. They are a gimmick. Invest in hollowpoints and train.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Sadly, 1-3" penetration means that they are ineffective as a defensive round. There isn't much worth damaging in the first 3" of tissue... I've seen them tested using the FBI protocol, which includes a test through 2 layers of sheetrock. They become lethal after going through two layers of sheetrock, with penetration on par with FMJ (14+" in calibrated media).

They're over-priced, ineffective (their real-world record speaks to this), and should be avoided.

As TXI said; hollowpoints and training.

Why anybody who thinks that a round that (even supposedly) can't go through sheetrock will stop an attacker is beyond me. Am I the only one here that's punched a hole in a wall?

Top Bottom