• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    All a notarized document proves is that you signed something in front of a notary. The notary doesn't review the document or even know what it might me.

It proves you signed something in front of a Notary, and the date of the signing. The date is what I was after. The notary isn't attesting anything about the content or correctness of the document. The document could be in a language the Notary cannot understand, for example.
    DK Firearms

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    You asked for guidance, it was given then you say it's crap?

Why did you even ask?

I asked for guidance about rules for posting items for sale. Guidance was received, thanks!

Guidance was given about the value of a bill of sale. I am not going to require a bill of sale as a result of having been convinced on the topic by board members, thanks!

I'm still going to ask to see DL and CHL. Is that the part you say is "crap"?

If you think I have been disrespectful, please point out where and I'll go back and put in an update to clarify. Sometimes my sense of humor can be misinterpreted, but I'm not going to worry about trying to update those bits.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It proves you signed something in front of a Notary, and the date of the signing. The date is what I was after. The notary isn't attesting anything about the content or correctness of the document. The document could be in a language the Notary cannot understand, for example.

It proves you signed something saying you said something. How is that any different than just saying it. (Hint: it's not.)

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    It proves you signed something saying you said something. How is that any different than just saying it. (Hint: it's not.)

It proves the date I said it. That changes it to a before the fact attestation instead of after the fact, should the gun be used in a crime.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Thinking through it a bit more, I can send myself an e-mail with a little encrypted file noting what I sold (I don't want the firearm S/N in clear text "out there"). I get the same minimal proof of date, backed up by my attestation (for what its worth), and it doesn't cost anything.

With my limited memory and record keeping abilities, having it searchable in e-mail means I could find it again if needed. I'll probably just go that route.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Aren't emails able to be edited? Especially those sent by yourself? As a reminder of what was sold when it works. I keep a list of my existing firearms and if one is sold (or given to relatives) I delete it from my list. If it turns up as used in a crime, etc. and the police, (or other agencies) contact me about it, I just tell them the truth. I sold it to someone a while back (I'd give approximate months/dates, etc. as I do not record dates or names) and give them the best of my recollection. I'm truthful, have broken no laws, and have nothing to hide. If I sell to someone I don't know and it doesn't feel warm and fuzzy to me (as in someone who doesn't speak any English) I ask to "see" a Texas DL with a picture (I could care less about the DL #, address, name, etc.) So what's the big deal? How can that "come back" on me as doing something illegal? Just askin', Utah.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Utah, I think you are wise to think through this process. There are other individuals on this forum who have provided valuable insight as well. And then, there are our resident morons. It shouldn't be hard to tell the difference.

Welcome to Texas, safe travels, and send me that list of guns.

TXC1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Houston
    Ever thought of hiring a off duty police officer to go with you? It is only about $30/hr and they can "run 'em" for you to confirm that they are a legal football, baseball, pie lovin', red blooded american eligible to buy a firearm. This will put you completely at ease and will allow you to have many calm restful nights without thinking of what somebody could be doing with your "precious".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Ever thought of hiring a off duty police officer to go with you? It is only about $30/hr and they can "run 'em" for you to confirm that they are a legal football, baseball, pie lovin', red blooded american eligible to buy a firearm. This will put you completely at ease and will allow you to have many calm restful nights without thinking of what somebody could be doing with your "precious".

Are you sure one off duty officer is enough? Probably need 2 independent officers from different departments, to independently check the legality of the individual. That way you really know these guys aren't felons...
    Maybe you should write a contract requiring them to sell the guns back to you instead of reselling them to nefarious characters...

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Aren't emails able to be edited? Especially those sent by yourself? As a reminder of what was sold when it works. I keep a list of my existing firearms and if one is sold (or given to relatives) I delete it from my list. If it turns up as used in a crime, etc. and the police, (or other agencies) contact me about it, I just tell them the truth. I sold it to someone a while back (I'd give approximate months/dates, etc. as I do not record dates or names) and give them the best of my recollection. I'm truthful, have broken no laws, and have nothing to hide. If I sell to someone I don't know and it doesn't feel warm and fuzzy to me (as in someone who doesn't speak any English) I ask to "see" a Texas DL with a picture (I could care less about the DL #, address, name, etc.) So what's the big deal? How can that "come back" on me as doing something illegal? Just askin', Utah.

If the mail server is under my control, then I could go twiddle bits and change stored e-mails. On a mail service, I don't know of a way to do so.

I realize my method of asking to see proof of residency (in the form of a DL) goes beyond what is specified in law. My asking for CHL is my own method of having a reasonable assurance that the person buying the gun is an upstanding citizen with at least some minimal training and knowledge of the law.

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013

Or I could wear a blindfold and hope the paper put in my hand is real money or a valid check. I presume you want to play the "extreme silliness game", right?

TXC1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Houston
    No sir, I'm just suggesting ways in which you can be extremely cautious. However some may believe that the silliness game is already being played.

TXC1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Houston
    Also just to be clear you are in favor of the government regulating private firearm transactions?
    -requiring government issued identification
    -requiring government issued concealed handgun licenses (which would require for one to receive training in order to be eligible to purchase a firearm)
    -What if "John Smith" wanted to buy a handgun to open carry on his ranch, what need would he have for a concealed handgun license?
    -If I bring a copy of my FBI records request under FOIA can I or another member purchase from you? Or would I still need a CHL to prove that I have received sanctioned training
    -Also on a final note does Utah's CHL Instructor Certification teach you about Texas Laws? If not your "qualifications" have no bearing here.

/end of silliness game

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    No sir, I'm just suggesting ways in which you can be extremely cautious. However some may believe that the silliness game is already being played.

I don't feel the need to go to extremes. If you do, then good luck. I also don't believe you were actually trying to make a helpful suggesting rather than an attempt at sarcastic mockery, but not knowing you I'm unable to say if it was in fun or if it was intended to cut. I figured I'd wait to see if others were going to slap you on your back and congratulate you on your cleverness, which would give me a hint if you were performing for your friends.

Last edited:

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Also just to be clear you are in favor of the government regulating private firearm transactions?
    -requiring government issued identification
    -requiring government issued concealed handgun licenses (which would require for one to receive training in order to be eligible to purchase a firearm)
    -What if "John Smith" wanted to buy a handgun to open carry on his ranch, what need would he have for a concealed handgun license?
    -If I bring a copy of my FBI records request under FOIA can I or another member purchase from you? Or would I still need a CHL to prove that I have received sanctioned training
    -Also on a final note does Utah's CHL Instructor Certification teach you about Texas Laws? If not your "qualifications" have no bearing here.

/end of silliness game

I am in favor of abiding by the laws of the land. I am also in favor of changing laws that need changing. Utah came very close this last year to having laws saying no permit is required to carry open or concealed. That would have been fine with me. My approach to private sales is not something I have suggested must be codified into law. Personally, I don't see the need for specialized laws for sales of this particular type of item, but that is just me.

A Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course teaches nothing about Texas law, but does go in to pertinent Federal law. I took the Texas CHL course as soon as I got here so I could learn about Texas laws (my Utah permit allows me to carry here).

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Utah, I think you are wise to think through this process. There are other individuals on this forum who have provided valuable insight as well. And then, there are our resident morons. It shouldn't be hard to tell the difference.

Welcome to Texas, safe travels, and send me that list of guns.

Pleased to meet you, 35Remington. Texas is a great state and I'm glad to be here!

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    I didn't realize "could you show me your DL and CHL" was going to be considered by some to be extreme. Learn something new every day.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thinking through it a bit more, I can send myself an e-mail with a little encrypted file noting what I sold (I don't want the firearm S/N in clear text "out there"). I get the same minimal proof of date, backed up by my attestation (for what its worth), and it doesn't cost anything.

With my limited memory and record keeping abilities, having it searchable in e-mail means I could find it again if needed. I'll probably just go that route.

The NSA approves this method.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom