• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Every time I get to wanting a new car, I'm shaking my head saying to myself "yeah I could afford that, but there's no way in hell I'm willing to pay that for a car." And I LOVE cars. There's a point where the perceived value just isn't there anymore, and for me it end somewhere around the 50k mark. Once the kids are grown and I can move off the suburban master planned 0.17 acre postage stamp I'm stuck on, up goes the big shop and in go the project cars. I like building more than buying anyway.
    DK Firearms

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Every time I get to wanting a new car, I'm shaking my head saying to myself "yeah I could afford that, but there's no way in hell I'm willing to pay that for a car." And I LOVE cars. There's a point where the perceived value just isn't there anymore, and for me it end somewhere around the 50k mark. Once the kids are grown and I can move off the suburban master planned 0.17 acre postage stamp I'm stuck on, up goes the big shop and in go the project cars. I like building more than buying anyway.

Came back from the service around '72, went to buy a new pickup.
    Could not get over the fact that a new Ford 1/2 ton was $3600/ttl.
    Been an uphill battle since.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'd much rather have this 1972 455 HO 4 speed Posi Transam restored for 34,500$ right now. And Only 472 of these were ever made

$_57.jpg

Or this 1970 455 HO GTO for 48,900$ right now. These are the TRUE muscle cars. And I can diagnose/fix ANYTHING on them. lol

$_57.jpg

Damn Skeeter I didn't know you were such a Pontiac fan. I have a 1969 Firebird in driver condition that has a rarity of 213 ever made. I to love the new muscle cars of our time but who can afford them? Only the rich and elite. The prices of those monsters are far beyond reach for the masses because of their low production and look how many have already been destroyed by their new owners. As for the Vettes only the old and crusty can buy them and they don't have the gusto to lay into the throttle to enjoy the car as they sit there and putter along.

GWGriggs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Houston
    Livin' the Muscle Car dream since '81. '69 GTO. Costs $3800 new. Not exactly stock now @ 600+hp. 0-60 3.2 seconds. Low 11's in the 120's quarter mile. Very streetable if kept below 65mph and you don't try full throttle below 45. Are all the new cars safer, more drivable, more comfortable? Sure. Do they garner you more looks of appreciation and thumbs up? Do they actully sound like a real, large bore, high compression V8 that sets off car alarms from a block away? Not a chance Bub. Would I like to be able to afford one of the new breed? Sure.

GTO.jpg

GTORear.jpg
    [/URL]

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Damn Skeeter I didn't know you were such a Pontiac fan.
    Yessiree. I know of an early 70's TA 455 HO needing resto just sitting hidden for the last 20 yrs. I have 1st dibs on it as the Widow has it locked up and stored away. I've got to get moved first, settled in and the new place built before I can take on another project. But someday hopefully soon I will be able to call her and pick it up... I figure a 50K budget will get me this car I want bought/restored to perfection.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Damn Skeeter I didn't know you were such a Pontiac fan. I have a 1969 Firebird in driver condition that has a rarity of 213 ever made. I to love the new muscle cars of our time but who can afford them? Only the rich and elite. The prices of those monsters are far beyond reach for the masses because of their low production and look how many have already been destroyed by their new owners. As for the Vettes only the old and crusty can buy them and they don't have the gusto to lay into the throttle to enjoy the car as they sit there and putter along.

Lol wut? The muscle car guys drive their car once a week if even that, and never go past 1/2 throttle. When was the last time you went WOT in your Pontiac? I just got back from Chick-Fil-A in my Vette after taking the long way to get there, banging through the gears at every opportunity. Modern Vettes are the same price (or less) than these cherry muscle cars, so I'm not sure you really have a grasp on the whole car scene. Vettes are for old and crusty owners and muscle cars aren't? Lol, thanks for the laugh.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Thanks for the words y'all. He was non-compliant with his meds even after 2 strokes. Can't say we didn't see it coming.

No plans yet on the 442s. It's just the tip of the iceberg, pretty overwhelming trying to figure out what to do with his collections.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    It's just the tip of the iceberg, pretty overwhelming trying to figure out what to do with his collections.
    Don't rush to accepting a check for the cars. Take your time as I'm quite certain there are at least a dozen SERIOUS Olds guys out there with the $ to fight over your collection!!!!!! Heck seek out a Prestigious auction company that specializes in cars... Just the convertible alone in the pic is worth 30-150K depending on how many of them were produced.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom