• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    yeck. at least post an original or a replica, not a restomod.

There. Sorry to offend your sensibilities

66 Shelby Super Snake.

44723_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Where is that?

I don't think you will find junkers for $9k from the guy past Liberty Hill. His prices are a little up there.

There was/ is a bobbed Deuce off New Hope for $20k and that seems to be the going rate for them. $5-6k will get you a decent unmodified Deuce or 5 ton.
    I was at his place two years ago and he tried to sell me a bobbed deuce with a new top for $9k. That's the last time I looked at them and was on my way to Colorado so I didn't go for it.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    '66 Super Snake is possible. It's more possible than this Shelby:
    shelby_daytona_coupe_2601.jpg

there are 5 left of the 6 made. there's one in Houston. ;)
    Factory Five Racing builds a spot on replica of this for about $50k with all the bells and whistles. There is one here in Austin that's gorgeous.

That said, there is also a guy in Cedar Park who owns a red all original $1M+ Shelby Cobra.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    To be fair, the FFR cars are not actual replicas. They use a Mustang chassis as a donor and build it to simulate the Daytona Coupe or Cobra. Superformance builds true replicas which get Shelby CSX numbers.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    To be fair, the FFR cars are not actual replicas. They use a Mustang chassis as a donor and build it to simulate the Daytona Coupe or Cobra. Superformance builds true replicas which get Shelby CSX numbers.
    The chassis is hand fabricated tubular steel. They use a Mustang donor for a lot much of the running gear though, like powertrain, some of the suspension, etc. Or the GTM, which uses a donor C5 Vette for completion.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Good question, Chris.

The composites will hold up if the car has been garaged rather than sitting out 24 hours, 365 days.

Some parts will probably fail. But then how long does a 70's era mechanical fuel pump or alternator last (not very long, I can tell you from experience)?

I see your point, but I'm guessing the old mechanical fuel pumps and alternators will last longer than the modern electronics. A fuel pump running off a cam, or an alternator (generator) with internal brushes is still sound mechanical technology.

Points and condensers have to be replaced. The rubber seals used in that era are inferior. Etc., etc. So I really don't know that there is a huge difference in that respect.

I see your point, but since you brought it up, how many times were you ever stranded on the side of the road from a failed condenser? I used to replace them almost every time I changed the points. And while I have had no start issues due to the points, I don't think a bad condenser ever was an issue? (And I don't even want to know how many people here have no idea what we're talking about).

Perhaps the question is "will the needed parts be available?"

I'm sure things will be available. The bigger question is, will they be affordable? Sheet metal shops and machine shops can fabricate parts for the old cars. It's going to take a lot more than that old technology to start fixing up the new stuff.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Spent yesterday at Circuit of the Americas driving the new Cadillac CTS-V & ATS-V. 640 HP / 630 PFT, the CTS-V is a monster...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I not sure I'd call it a new golden age, but things have gotten much better in the new car arena in the last few years... and not just for muscle cars. The 90's and 00's was a terrible time for car enthusiasts.

Spent yesterday at Circuit of the Americas driving the new Cadillac CTS-V & ATS-V. 640 HP / 630 PFT, the CTS-V is a monster...
    I would love to do something like that. How did you get in on it? I must be getting old because I find myself wanting a CTS-V coupe :laughing:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    It's invitation only, but it is open to the public and it is free. You just have to get on the list. Let me see if I can dig it up in email.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

ETA: I can't find anything about it on the Internet. It's like they don't want anybody to know. Maybe the other guy will chime in. It's a national thing and we're lucky enough to have them come to Circuit of the Americas.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom