Patriot Mobile

GOP nominee runoff for TX Lt Gov: Dewhurst or Patrick?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Who's got your vote?

• Total voters

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Well, apparently we now know what Patterson knows about Patrick. According to this story, Patrick was treated for depression 30 years ago. And Patterson thought it so relevant and vital, he released Patrick's private medical records and emailed them to a long list of Capitol reporters.

Dewhurst said Patterson did it against his wishes, and Dewhurst is distancing himself from Patterson. The Chair of the Senate Health & Human Services Committee called Patterson's releasing of Patrick's private medical records "despicable."

I'm a new Texan; I don't know a lot of the history here. I do recall very clearly Dewhurst's sleazeball tactics against Ted Cruz. I've seen Dewhurst's "Frozen" ad. How could someone vote "for" someone who behaves like this? I've gone to Politifact to try to find out who's telling the truth. And now Patterson does something that I find quite reprehensible. If this is how Patterson behaves, then a) I'm glad he lost the primary, and b) I don't give a flying fig who he thinks I should be voting for. And the whole episode just stinks. If that's what his character is, and he likes Dewhurst, then I can in good faith say it makes me less likely to vote for Dewhurst.

I doubt I could in good conscience cast a vote "for" either of these.

I looked up if there were any alternatives; apparently there is one candidate from the Green party, and there's supposedly a libertarian, Brandon de Hoyos, but if you go the libertarian's website (brandonfortexas.com) it redirects you to a Wang Chung music video on youtube.

Sigh.

EDIT: Looks like that Brandon de Hoyos page is out of date; de Hoyos quit the race, and there is a different Libertarian candidate on the ballot for 2014, Robert Butler. Don't know anything about him other than that he "favors a relaxed marijuana policy" and easier border crossings...

EDIT again: found his facebook page. Lots of pro-business, anti-tax, pro-freedom, pro-marriage equality, and pro-marijuana postings, as you'd expect from a Libertarian, including calls for ending the drug war. Found almost nothing about guns except a post of a pic of Ben Franklin saying "Never trust a government that doesn't trust its own citizens with guns."

Is it too late to clone Greg Abbott and have his clone run for lieutenant governor too?
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Right, sorry, I went off track looking for alternatives, but no alternative would come into play until the general. Sorry for wandering off track...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Having only been here in TX for 8 months at this point I don't know enough about these men to make a judgement ... but in the first primary (where I had even less time to come to an opinion) my logic went like this:

1) Dewhurst was the guy that everyone ganged up on to get Cruz in the Senate, so Dewhurst was out.
    2) Between Patterson and Patrick I had zero knowledge ... but Christian financial guru Dave Ramsey was appearing in radio advertisements for Patrick.

Sorry if that was poor judgement on my part, but that's how one new to TX conservative came to vote for Patrick.

Ramsey? You mean the guy from Tennessee that can't vote in Texas? They guy who sells commercial spots on his radio program and will do the "these are my favorite guys" bit for money?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Well, apparently we now know what Patterson knows about Patrick. According to this story, Patrick was treated for depression 30 years ago. And Patterson thought it so relevant and vital, he released Patrick's private medical records and emailed them to a long list of Capitol reporters.

Dewhurst said Patterson did it against his wishes, and Dewhurst is distancing himself from Patterson. The Chair of the Senate Health & Human Services Committee called Patterson's releasing of Patrick's private medical records "despicable."

I'm a new Texan; I don't know a lot of the history here. I do recall very clearly Dewhurst's sleazeball tactics against Ted Cruz. I've seen Dewhurst's "Frozen" ad. How could someone vote "for" someone who behaves like this? I've gone to Politifact to try to find out who's telling the truth. And now Patterson does something that I find quite reprehensible. If this is how Patterson behaves, then a) I'm glad he lost the primary, and b) I don't give a flying fig who he thinks I should be voting for. And the whole episode just stinks. If that's what his character is, and he likes Dewhurst, then I can in good faith say it makes me less likely to vote for Dewhurst.

I doubt I could in good conscience cast a vote "for" either of these.

That's pretty much it, for those that like Patterson how can they defend him releasing Patricks private medical records? That to me again like in my other thread just goes to show how much a sleezeball Patterson is. Much less the fact that he was treated for depression 30 damn years ago. Who gives a shit. If you think that being treated for depression 30 years ago really matters today then that's the same mindset the liberals have about depression reprieving you of your gun rights.

Between the way Dewhurst conducted himself when he ran against Cruz, the smear ads hes ran against Patrick, the fact he doesn't say shit about what he really plans to do to help Texas and now his scorned buddy Patterson whos got a personal vendetta against Patrick all add up to a vote for Patrick for me. I don't really care for Patrick but at least hes not acting like total scum.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Stop for a minute and back off issues you have with a persons campaign and talk policy. Cuz at the end of the day, that is what really counts...

What about Patrick's policy do you guys not like. Or dewhurst for that matter...

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    We have witnessed what Dewhurst does for us as gun owners, no thanks. I'm giving Patrick an opportunity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Stop for a minute and back off issues you have with a persons campaign and talk policy. Cuz at the end of the day, that is what really counts...

What about Patrick's policy do you guys not like. Or dewhurst for that matter...
    The way a person wages their campaign is a direct reflection on their character. Issues we have with a candidates campaign are very relevant. Dewhurst has shown he has no penchant what-so-ever to further our gun rights, he has no nuts to take control of the forum he is the head swinging dick over, oh and hes a dirty sleezeball as can be seen by his senate and lt gov campaigns. What else do you want to know? I don't know that Patrick will end up any better but at this point hes worth a shot. If nothing else itll get Dewhurst out of office and maybe by the next election someone even better will be in the limelight.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    The way a person wages their campaign is a direct reflection on their character. Issues we have with a candidates campaign are very relevant. Dewhurst has shown he has no penchant what-so-ever to further our gun rights, he has no nuts to take control of the forum he is the head swinging dick over, oh and hes a dirty sleezeball as can be seen by his senate and lt gov campaigns. What else do you want to know? I don't know that Patrick will end up any better but at this point hes worth a shot. If nothing else itll get Dewhurst out of office and maybe by the next election someone even better will be in the limelight.

Where I slightly differ from your opinion, is that we get way to into the horse race. I'm not saying if you're a sleazeball in the campaign you're not a sleazeball in office.

I just think the average person is too quick to brand someone a sleazeball...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Let us look beyond the Lieutenant Governor's race.

If the Democrat is elected Lieutenant Governor, Do you think she will cooperate with the next Republican Governor and "negotiate" as Dewhurst has proven to do in his many terms.

I don't think so. Democrats by definition are incapable of compromise -- It is my way or the high way.

I am no fan of Dewhurst, but he can do less damage than a headstrong Patrick who might very well go to war with his own party and a Republican Governor.

Patrick has shown plenty of Manic-Depressive (bi-polar) behavior as a State Senator and as a candidate for L.G. He's all for the rule of law at the State level, but has ignored his obligations to creditors.

This whole thing is a stink storm, and the only way to beat the Democrat is to vote for the incumbent (no matter how repulsive that might be).

Time to take a shower!

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas

If the Democrat is elected Lieutenant Governor, Do you think she will cooperate with the next Republican Governor and "negotiate" as Dewhurst has proven to do in his many terms.

I don't think so. Democrats by definition are incapable of compromise -- It is my way or the high way.

I am no fan of Dewhurst, but he can do less damage than a headstrong Patrick who might very well go to war with his own party and a Republican Governor.

Patrick has shown plenty of Manic-Depressive (bi-polar) behavior as a State Senator and as a candidate for L.G. He's all for the rule of law at the State level, but has ignored his obligations to creditors.

This whole thing is a stink storm, and the only way to beat the Democrat is to vote for the incumbent (no matter how repulsive that might be).

Time to take a shower!

Ha. I agree with that first part for sure, not so much the rest.

This may be a time where Texas Republicans of all stripes united go in for the kill against Dems now that it seems their turn Texas blue campaign my be dying. The last thing we need is RINOs like Dewhurst to give them more power than they actually have. Time to go on the offensive in the big liberal cities too.

Patrick may be establishment, kind of like a Huckabee or Santorum, but at least he is not a RINO like Dewhurst.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle

Time to take a shower!

And Dewhurst hasn't?
    Hypocrisy: Dewhurst Filed for Bankruptcy then Attacks Dan Patrick for Past Bankruptcy | Politics
    I really wish people would take the time to read both sides of the story. Most everything that people cite as being negative for Patrick, Dewhurst has to even a greater extent. Add to that we already know Dewhurst is an impotent leader, its beyond me why people talk like Dewhurst is the "lesser of two evils".

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    The BS mud slinging/smear campaign turns me and many voters off. It shows that he is seriously scared of loosing this elections. Here are the main reasons not to vote for Dewhurst:

1) TED CRUZ SIGNED THE PLEDGE TO PROTECT OUR 2nd. AMENDMENT RIGHT.

DAVID DEWHURST HAS'NT WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ?
    http://beforeitsnews.com/self-suffi...a-bill-for-obama-hes-one-of-them-2401920.html

2) Lt. Gov. David Dew-hurst, running for re-election, is for "some form of open carry in Texas for law-abiding citizens," spokesman Travis Considine said. The "some form of open carry" language did not sit well with some Second Amendment activists. "I have no room for Dewhurst or his wishy-washy attitude in this state," said C.J. Grisham, president of Open Carry Texas. "We don't talk about only supporting 'some form' of religious expression or 'some form' of free speech. Why would we do that with the Second Amendment?"

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...dates-support-open-carry-in-Texas-4931180.php

The below shows the abuse of power for his own self serving interest:

3) Reason not to vote for Dewhurst: Police: Texas Lt. Gov. Dewhurst Asked to Get Relative Out of Jail

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/Police-Lt-Gov-Dewhurst-Asked-to-Get-Relative-Out-of-Jail-220583781.html

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Dewhurst loves those personal attack campaigns and that trashes him as a candidate as far as I'm concerned. That's something that I'm fed up with. My vote will be against Dewhurst and I chose those words carefully.

Flash

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I voted for Patterson, would have been a better choice.... now he endorses dewhurst....We had 4 choices for this position in the primary, now down to two in a run off. Hes been in office way too long, smeared Ted Cruz with lies, now hes lying again. Used his power to try to get a family member off shopping lift charges. Wasnt a leader during the pro-life bill, let all those protesters do what they did! Enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Posted on Patrick's Facebook page today...

My Statement on Dewhurst's Attacks.....

The last 24 hrs has been some of the toughest in this campaign. David Dewhurst, who is trailing by a large margin in the polls going into early voting (which begins Monday), launched one of the dirtiest attacks anyone has launched on an opponent.

At first Dewhurst denied he had anything to do with the release of my medical records when I was treated for depression 30 years ago. He blamed former candidate Jerry Patterson for the release of records. However, in an e-mail sent out a few hours later in error to the media, Patterson clearly showed David was totally involved and knew everything that was happening.

I have never hidden the fact I struggled with depression in the 1980s, but I did keep the details private. They were personal as all medical issues are. I voluntarily entered a hospital in 1982 and then again in 1986 to treat my depression.The drugs that were prescribed for me in the hospital only made it worse. By 1987, through prayer, the love of my family and my doctor I was finally able to defeat depression. I have not seen a doctor or taken any medication for depression or any other mental health issue since 1987.

Millions of Texans have had an episode of depression or know of a family member who has. One reason I have talked about this issue on the radio over the years is to let people know there is no shame in asking for help or seeking treatment for depression. We must remove the stigma of seeking help for mental health. In most cases depression can be cured.

I have gone on to have a very productive and successful life for the last 30 years. My recently released medical exam shows I am in excellent physical and mental health as I have been for decades.

This has also been a test of my Christian faith. I open every speech with I'm a Christian first and conservative second. It's now time to live my faith through actions and not just words. There are two verses close to my heart that have kept me strong.

Isaiah 54:15 If anyone does attack you, it will not be my doing, whoever attacks you will surrender to you

Isaiah 54:17 No weapon formed against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you

My campaign has been focused on the issues, namely cutting property taxes and securing the border. Meanwhile Dewhurst has spent millions attacking me and to date not one single dollar on why he should be re-elected or on any issue. It's time to put an end to the dirty political tricks of David Dewhurst. It's the only way he knows how to campaign. We've seen it before.

I am the best candidate for Lt Governor. I am ready to serve and I ask for you vote. Early Voting begins Monday and election day is May 27th. You can get involved at Border Security - There You Go Again » Dan Patrick for Lieutenant Governor

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom