• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Sorry to take us off track, I was aware of CHL holders requirements (or lack of) but was curious about non-chl holders, which group the OP fits in.

The law changed in 2007, or maybe I should say it was clarified: On September 1, 2007, the law changed and allows people to carry a loaded handgun concealed in their motor vehicle WITHOUT a CHL provided they are not otherwise restricted from owning or possessing a handgun. The handgun must be concealed from view.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The law changed in 2007, or maybe I should say it was clarified: On September 1, 2007, the law changed and allows people to carry a loaded handgun concealed in their motor vehicle WITHOUT a CHL provided they are not otherwise restricted from owning or possessing a handgun. The handgun must be concealed from view.

What he said^^^^

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

What would have happened prior to 2007 if a gun was found with NO notification (& no CHL)?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    We don't know what would happen! Notification is not and has not been a law (other than CHL) to the best of my knowledge! I think you're over-thinking this. I'm not sure what you're asking that has not already been stated. ????

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    For a minor traffic violation just keep it to yourself. If you're vehicle is going to end up being searched tell them. Some ask up front some don't just be honest.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Of course the OP was talking about a handgun.

What is UCW?
    Sorry, Unlawful Carrying a Weapon. Penal code 46.02. Prior to 2007 carrying a handgun on or about your person without a CHL was a violation, even in your car. Traveling was a defense to prosecution for many years. Meaning you could be arrested and charged, but you would have a defense to offer in court as to why you should be found not guilty

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks again TI!

Would it have made any difference (severity) if it was found during a search, & the officers had not been informed it was in the car?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Traveler was defined as a person traveling more than 3 counties from their place of residence. If I remember right, had to be in plain sight or was a concealed weapon. Could be wrong though.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Traveler was defined as a person traveling more than 3 counties from their place of residence. If I remember right, had to be in plain sight or was a concealed weapon. Could be wrong though.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

That is a myth about traveling.

Texas had no law against concealed weapons.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am still trying to get a handle on why on earth anyone would consent to a search.

If they have probable cause, they don't need your permission.

There is nothing good that can come from allowing them to search your vehicle.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    What I read somewhere years ago. Like I said, I could be wrong, have been before. But I have known people arrested for concealed weapons in vehichles over the years, but not specifics.

My father got arrested and charged with UCW for a pistol in a locked gun rag behind the seat of a single cab pickup. The officer said it would have had to be stored in the locked toolbox in the bed of the truck. Something about it having to be under lock somewhere other than the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It was in Iowa Colony IIRC.

Edit to add: He had just picked it back up from the Pawn Shop and was on the way home. It took 6 months to get it back from the PD.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What I read somewhere years ago. Like I said, I could be wrong, have been before. But I have known people arrested for concealed weapons in vehichles over the years, but not specifics.

The law was Unlawful Carrying Weapons. 46.02 of the penal code Been that way for decades. The law made no distinction between concealed or not, the carry of a handgun in your car was generally unlawful

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My father got arrested and charged with UCW for a pistol in a locked gun rag behind the seat of a single cab pickup. The officer said it would have had to be stored in the locked toolbox in the bed of the truck. Something about it having to be under lock somewhere other than the passenger compartment of the vehicle. It was in Iowa Colony IIRC.

Locked gun rag?

Top Bottom