• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Yes. There were (are) several people that worked at the schools that have a Texas CHL and secure their weapon in their car during the day. Most of the LEO around here know who carries legally especially when it comes to school personnel/administration. There are several small out-lying small districts in and around Kerr County. Not all of them can expect quick (enough) response on a regular basis in case of emergency.

State CHL exempts you from the law, don't we all know that???? The OP does not have a CHL from Texas.
    Capitol Armory ad

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Here is the text for it.

The Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990 (18 U.S.C. § 922(q)) states:
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
    (3) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the person knows is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;
    (iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or
    (iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity.
    (4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun free school zones as provided in this subsection

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Thank you, Southpaw! I've heard several opinions but now that you have shown us exactly what it says, I'll feel a lot better about having my weapon in those areas. OP can't do that until he gets his TX CHL.

ares338

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Paris, Texas
    If you DO NOT have a CHL and are stopped you don't have to inform the cop unless they ask if you have a gun. Of course with a CHL they already know so you have to produce your CHL with your license. Don't say...HEY I GOTTA GUN...lol. Some cops are great some not so much but if you are legal you have no worry!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you DO NOT have a CHL and are stopped you don't have to inform the cop unless they ask if you have a gun. Of course with a CHL they already know so you have to produce your CHL with your license. Don't say...HEY I GOTTA GUN...lol. Some cops are great some not so much but if you are legal you have no worry!

Actually, no law requires you tell them you have a gun even if asked if the person has no CHL.

And how would a LEO already know a person has a CHL prior to the person producing ID?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    And how would a LEO already know a person has a CHL prior to the person producing ID?

Runs the license plates (standard procedure) before he approaches and if the person in the vehicle is of same sex as the one on the registration, vehicle not reported stolen, he can generally deduce that the driver might be the owner. That report will also show if the registered owner has a CHL in addition to any warrants outstanding. Not 100% accurate, but works pretty good, all before he gets to see their ID.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Runs the license plates (standard procedure) before he approaches and if the person in the vehicle is of same sex as the one on the registration, vehicle not reported stolen, he can generally deduce that the driver might be the owner. That report will also show if the registered owner has a CHL in addition to any warrants outstanding. Not 100% accurate, but works pretty good, all before he gets to see their ID.
    Actually, the CHL is not is not connected to the car or license plate. IF, and that is if, the computer system at that particular agency automatically runs a DL check on the registered owner, it could show that a person with that name has a CHL.

That is not a function of the statewide or national LE database (TCIC/NCIC) It is agency specific.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It comes up in Harris County.........don't know about the rest of the state. Just confirmed it from two different sources.

Not unless Harris County is linking the 28 (vehicle registration) return with 27 (DL) return. They can programttheir system to automatically run a DL on a registration. It is not real clean. Although I do not have a real common name, there are several people with my same name who are licensed drivers. Run a registration on my car and you would have to cross reference with other data points to identify the driver.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Not unless Harris County is linking the 28 (vehicle registration) return with 27 (DL) return. They can programttheir system to automatically run a DL on a registration. It is not real clean. Although I do not have a real common name, there are several people with my same name who are licensed drivers. Run a registration on my car and you would have to cross reference with other data points to identify the driver.

Well the two folks I called on this, one HPD and the other Harris County, both sworn officers (combined close to 40 years on those jobs) at work today said it did. Only checked with one before my initial post, called the other after you posted to confirm. They seem to have a lot of access to information just from a plate.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well the two folks I called on this, one HPD and the other Harris County, both sworn officers (combined close to 40 years on those jobs) at work today said it did. Only checked with one before my initial post, called the other after you posted to confirm. They seem to have a lot of access to information just from a plate.

I am not denying that. What I am telling you is that you CHL is not linked to your license plate.

If the agency has their system programmed to run a DL check on the registered owner of a car when the officer runs a tag, then they MIGHT know if the registered owner has a CHL.

If the registered owners name is John Smith, then the officer will have to look at some data points to see if THAT John Smith has a CHL. Only the DL return will tell him that. If the address on the registration is the same as the address on the DL return, then the officer can assume he has the person. However, how will the computer know which John Smith to check the DL record for?

As I wrote, CHL are not attached to registrations.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am not denying that. What I am telling you is that you CHL is not linked to your license plate.

If the agency has their system programmed to run a DL check on the registered owner of a car when the officer runs a tag, then they MIGHT know if the registered owner has a CHL.

If the registered owners name is John Smith, then the officer will have to look at some data points to see if THAT John Smith has a CHL. Only the DL return will tell him that. If the address on the registration is the same as the address on the DL return, then the officer can assume he has the person. However, how will the computer know which John Smith to check the DL record for?

As I wrote, CHL are not attached to registrations.

Whatever dude, they both said that when they run the plates it tells them if the owner has a CHL. It may not do so in your county/city where you used to work, etc. but it does here. I don't know if other places have this ability, just assumed they did.

I would also think that the check has the ability to check out that individual that regirstered the car, and not just a name as you claim. Otherwise how would they be alerted to outstanding warrants. Pretty sure the state has the ability at some level to differentiate between folks with the same name. Somehow the CHL is attached or gets attached through some computer process and it shows up inside their car.

Kinda waiting for an active duty member to chime in if they have that high speed stuff where they work.

Last edited:

Smokewagon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    West Texas
    And very often, the driver of the vehicle isn't even the owner. If you notice, when you register your vehicle at the county tax office, they only ask if your address is current and the color of the vehicle. They don't have your DL number, or your CHL number, and don't ask for it. Your CHL does have your DL number on it for cross referencing.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Whatever dude, they both said that when they run the plates it tells them if the owner has a CHL. It may not do so in your county/city where you used to work, etc. but it does here. I don't know if other places have this ability, just assumed they did.

I would also think that the check has the ability to check out that individual that regirstered the car, and not just a name as you claim. Otherwise how would they be alerted to outstanding warrants. Pretty sure the state has the ability at some level to differentiate between folks with the same name. Somehow the CHL is attached or gets attached through some computer process and it shows up inside their car.

Kinda waiting for an active duty member to chime in if they have that high speed stuff where they work.

The warrants shows a couple of things, depending on how it is set up. It can check the registered owner's name against all people with that name, and csn either alert the officer to a POSSIBLE warrant with that name, or show warrants to anyone that has that tag listed on the warrant, or just provide a list of possibles.

You do not understand how the systems are set up. The DL system is separate from car registrations. Both are run by the state, TLETS/TCIC. The state does NOT cross reference them. An agency can, but the information is limited. If the LEO runs a tag and the car is registered to Joe Smith, no DOB or other such info is listed by that system. Addresses, yes. If an astute dispatcher decides to go ahead and conduct a DL search for John Smith, he will have quite a laundry list of names. He can search through those records for a John Smith DL at the same address as the John Smith who is the registered owner. If that John Smith has a CHL then the dispatcher can pretty much be sure the two are the same.

An agency's computer system can be set up to do the same thing. However, car registrations are not tied to CHLs. Only if the car registration search queries and gets a hit on a DL will a CHL show up. CHLs are tied to DLs, not registrations.

What your buddies are telling you is the net effect they experience, not the details of the system.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom