• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not sure if you're talking about used guns or new. If it's new guns, 99% of most stores won't be coming off a price 10-20% just "because your nice". ;) Unless of course it's just price matching another store or something. Used guns are a whole other story of course.

You don't have Redneck's winning smile : P
    Texas SOT

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm not sure if you're talking about used guns or new. If it's new guns, 99% of most stores won't be coming off a price 10-20% just "because your nice". ;) Unless of course it's just price matching another store or something. Used guns are a whole other story of course.

New gun? What's that?!??<G> I prefer used, but have been known ta pick up a new one on rare occassions...

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Price was Right

You did good ! If you have children impress upon them, Don't touch, don't show visiting kids, and don't even mention that Dad has a firearm.

I took mine out when they were little, helped hold the pistol, in one case a .357 and let them pull the trigger. The loud boom, the recoil even with Dad helping hold caused them to loose interest completely.

Hide when you all are gone even with the house locked so some burglar won't make off with it. You know the drill....

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    You did good ! If you have children impress upon them, Don't touch, don't show visiting kids, and don't even mention that Dad has a firearm.

I took mine out when they were little, helped hold the pistol, in one case a .357 and let them pull the trigger. The loud boom, the recoil even with Dad helping hold caused them to loose interest completely.

Hide when you all are gone even with the house locked so some burglar won't make off with it. You know the drill....
    Thanks for this excellent advice!! I have a 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son. As you can guess, the boy would LOVE to get his hands on a pistol. I already put the trigger lock on it and it's completely out of sight for a child or even a thief.

I remember when I was a little kid my dad said I could shoot his S&W .38. I didn't know any better so I just stood right next to him when he took the 1st shot; I nearly jumped out of my skin! I didn't want anything to do with that gun for a long time after that.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Just remember one thing - kids are curious creatures. Talk about guns with them, TEACH them about them - be willing to let them shoot 'em with your supervision. Take the "mystery" out of them, and they'll reward you with many years of fond memories of time spent at the range. I raised 4 kids with LOTS of shooting, and as a result knew that they not only respected the guns, but knew that all they had to do was say the word and we'd go shootin'.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    uh oh, the magazine police are gonna show up any minute. . . . .

I think the OP already got himself a gun. I think $500 was a bit too rich anyways.

A whole 400 shots? wow. . . .

I'm just messing with you still. : P That there is a good looking gun.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    If someone else looks at this thread looking for advice I'd recommend that they also check out military surplus handguns. There are a number out there in good to excellent condition for not too much money. The CZ 82 comes to mind as an excellent choice

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Biology, such good memories.

5 hours? What you doing? Taking a once a week course?

Worst day I hat was six hours of Lecture in seven hours followed by just under four hours of anatomy lab.

I'm so glad Gross Anatomy was last year.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Don't worry - given yer avatar, we don't expect much.....

GIG 'EM!!!!!

Hey TRN........did you happen to catch that Aggie Hogs game?

And just for the record........I was labeled Okie while in Nam which was accurate at the time but I got to Texas as soon as I could. (1971)

Wife was born and raised in Kilgore, son born and raised here in Longview....has lived in Hot Springs for the last 6-years.

HOOK-EM HORNS!

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Thanks for this excellent advice!! I have a 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son. As you can guess, the boy would LOVE to get his hands on a pistol. I already put the trigger lock on it and it's completely out of sight for a child or even a thief.

I remember when I was a little kid my dad said I could shoot his S&W .38. I didn't know any better so I just stood right next to him when he took the 1st shot; I nearly jumped out of my skin! I didn't want anything to do with that gun for a long time after that.
    Anytime my daughter asks (4 years old) I stop what I'm doing and let her see the gun, touch the gun, help put ammo into cases, sort brass, can't wait til she can load the magazines . She knows all she has to do is ask and knows what to do if she finds a firearm - don't touch and go tell an adult immediately

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Yeah, I agree. Not very pretty at all. I hope bad guy, breaking in to hurt me/my kids or take my stuff, doesn't get offended by my ugly gun.

don't touch and go tell an adult immediately

My 10 year old daughter has that burned into her memory.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Good thread. I'm late as usual. But just in case of reliability issues popping up or the high point breaks or something they have a life time warranty as far as I know. But the CZ 75 40 is what I carried on duty until I got an XD 40 the cz is tough reliable and accurate I got a used one with 2 mags a holster owners manual and a laser for something like $395. Congrats on the HP make sure to check that carry ammo before you trust it.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Okay guys, please don't laugh at me on this one...

I just picked up Hi-Point 9mm from a pawn shop for $179. Stopped by Walmart, picked up a box of 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ, inserted a few in the magazine, pulled the trigger, and it went "bang!" 1 shot so far and no problems!

Congrats.
    The HP's are a good entry level/start over handgun.
    When I started over 2 years that's what I went with.
    I did find it only liked and would only eat rounds with the hornady jhp bullets for the first hundred or so then it would eat anything I fed it.

Top Bottom