• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    Then how do you carry a rifle in public? How does someone without a CHL take their guns to the range?

Open carry of long rifles are allowed in Texas. Without a CHL. Texas also considers your car as part of the castle doctrine. Guns are allowed on the range. So carrying from your car to the range is permitted unless things have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    Explain to me how carrying a gun in your hand or case is either open or concealed carry.

Do you really not understand the differences?

I understand the difference that you are trying to put on it but typically if someone put those signs up they could care less if it’s in your hand or a case. They don’t want it in their place of business.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I understand the difference that you are trying to put on it but typically if someone put those signs up they could care less if it’s in your hand or a case. They don’t want it in their place of business.

While generally true that is not the case with gun shows.

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    While generally true that is not the case with gun shows.

I agree with you! I’m just saying that I’ve was at the show and never saw the signs. Williamson County Sheriff deputy’s were there zip tying people’s guns including carry pieces. I know because they did mine when I went in.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Imagine that, a gun show where NO guns are allowed...

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    Imagine that, a gun show where NO guns are allowed...

For Christ sake, that’s why I posted what I did originally. I never saw a sign at that show and I’ve never been to one that didn’t own guns in.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    It's more than a liability thing, it's a safety issue. With such a large number of people handling firearms, the potential of someone mindlessly doing so with a loaded weapon are too great to allow.

It would be possible if people followed the basic rules of firearm safety, but given the number of fingers on triggers, barrels pointed at others, the acceptance of a weapon without ensuring it's unloaded, and dry firing I've seen at gun shows, I for one welcome the restriction!

Hence...the liability issue.....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For Christ sake, that’s why I posted what I did originally. I never saw a sign at that show and I’ve never been to one that didn’t own guns in.

Your argument has been that .06/.07 signage bans firearms. That argument is incorrect. There are tons of ways to carry firearms in Texas without a CHL. If you read the statutes regarding when it is and isn't ok to carry a handgun (as well as other "illegal weapons") you'll find that there are exceptions that allow the unlicensed carry of handguns. If you aren't carrying under the authority of your LTC then 06/07 do not apply.

Taking a firearm in to a gun show in order to sell/trade does not fall under open or concealed carry law. The signs have nothing to do with it and have no effect. That's what you've been missing.

Also, "castle doctrine" has nothing to do with carrying a handgun in your vehicle. You're referencing the motorist protection act and it only covers a thin scope of firearms activity. It's not what allows you to get from your vehicle to the range with your handgun. That part of the trip is covered by a different set of legal mumbo jumbo. Read 46.15 for more info.

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    Your argument has been that .06/.07 signage bans firearms. That argument is incorrect. There are tons of ways to carry firearms in Texas without a CHL. If you read the statutes regarding when it is and isn't ok to carry a handgun (as well as other "illegal weapons") you'll find that there are exceptions that allow the unlicensed carry of handguns. If you aren't carrying under the authority of your LTC then 06/07 do not apply.

Taking a firearm in to a gun show in order to sell/trade does not fall under open or concealed carry law. The signs have nothing to do with it and have no effect. That's what you've been missing.

Also, "castle doctrine" has nothing to do with carrying a handgun in your vehicle. You're referencing the motorist protection act and it only covers a thin scope of firearms activity. It's not what allows you to get from your vehicle to the range with your handgun. That part of the trip is covered by a different set of legal mumbo jumbo. Read 46.15 for more info.

My argument has not been that at all. My argument has been that I’ve never seen the signs put up for that gun show. Also, I never said anything about taking a gun to a gun show to buy or sell as when I took mine to said gun show was wasn’t there for that.

I read statute 46.15. Seems more to do with LE and court employees carrying.

RodKo40S&W

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2017
    Austin,Texas
    Wow, oldjarhead56, I thought this thread had been taken over with the responses of liberal anti-gunners! I believe I did not misunderstand you that you are pointing out the hypocrisy of posting signs against carrying for self defense of a firearm, not that firearms are not allowed. I, too, see the hypocrisy of this and was shocked when I first started attending gun shows recently and found this to be the case, with no exception that I am aware of. The responses you are receiving for it being a safety issue and liability issue sounds like the arguments used when campus carry was passed I don't think these promoters really believe in what they are trying to peddle.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My argument has not been that at all.

You said exactly that in posts 16 and 18 of this thread.

My argument has been that I’ve never seen the signs put up for that gun show. Also, I never said anything about taking a gun to a gun show to buy or sell as when I took mine to said gun show was wasn’t there for that.

Maybe so, but you still made the claim that the signage banned all guns in the previously mentioned posts. You then proceeded to defend that claim in following posts basically up to this point when you say you never made that claim.

I read statute 46.15. Seems more to do with LE and court employees carrying.

Yes, lots of legal mumbo jumbo. Easy to miss. It's my opinion that gun shows fall under a sporting activity and is therefore covered under 46.15(b)3.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, lots of legal mumbo jumbo. Easy to miss. It's my opinion that gun shows fall under a sporting activity and is therefore covered under 46.15(b)3.

Gun shows are places where guns are bought/sold/traded/repaired, and have been legal to carry to/from/at for over 100+ years when various Case Law decisions ruled it was ok.

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    You said exactly that in posts 16 and 18 of this thread.

Maybe so, but you still made the claim that the signage banned all guns in the previously mentioned posts. You then proceeded to defend that claim in following posts basically up to this point when you say you never made that claim.

My reply in 16 and 18 is not really about the signs banning them but the property owners are. They are using the signage to enforce them not wanting firearms in their establishment. Next time you’re in place a business that doesn’t want guns and using signs you can debate with them and the officers on what if any guns are allowed.

Thanks for your opinion. I disagree with it as it seems to me more like commerce than competition or practice. But I respect your opinion on the matter. You could be right.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My reply in 16 and 18 is not really about the signs banning them but the property owners are. They are using the signage to enforce them not wanting firearms in their establishment. Next time you’re in place a business that doesn’t want guns and using signs you can debate with them and the officers on what if any guns are allowed.

Thanks for your opinion. I disagree with it as it seems to me more like commerce than competition or practice. But I respect your opinion on the matter. You could be right.

There is no need to debate anyone about anything.

It's the law that matters and the law is very specific about what 06/07 apply to. It's written on the signs.

There are other laws that apply to other forms of carry and the type of notification required. I'd have no reason to debate a property owner who said "you can't carry your rifle in here". I'd leave. (Can't see myself being in that situation to start with).

Technicalities on what signs apply to and how are the part of the law that we should try to understand. It's what can either keep you out of or get you in to trouble.

As far as my opinion, I'm happy to accept what Renegade has stated.

Top Bottom