• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Lol. Ya probably. I have genetics for a belly and heart failure. Grandpa had triple bypass at ~65yrs and dad had quadruple bypass at ~45yrs...

Soooo, I'll probably be a gym rat until I die, unless I wanna die sooner......

ETA: dad also had a "minor" heart attack 2 months ago.... How it can be minor, I dunno. A small vein on the back of his heart got clogged and died. So "minor"?

Last edited:

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    It's your age not your body type. At 25 I could eat what I wanted and didn't have to workout to keep a reasonable weight. Early 30's is when things started changing.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    ^ Incorrect. Read my previous posts. I have not always been "fit".

I was 210 at 19. 265 at 20. ~220 at 21. ~179 when I got married a month after my 23rd birthday.

I gained 55lbs in less than a year due to an increased class schedule and Call of Duty Black Ops.

I lost 75lbs because I got off my fat ass and worked out.
    So don't discredit my work and give it to my age.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    I don't know what kind of life you have outside of work so don't take this the wrong way.
    But I'm married and work 70+hours a week and still get in the gym at least 5hrs a week.
    It's what you HAVE to do.

Diet is important. But I'll be devils advocate. If I'm working out or running, I can eat/drink whatever I want and how much I want. Had 2 brats, 2 beers, a steak, and huge cup of ice cream last night. I won't gain a pound....
    It's just my body type.

So if you are at a plateau of 245lbs at your diet and exercise levels, changing ONE THING will tip the scale to weight loss....
    Make it easy on yourself, choose one and go. Doing both might frustrate you and you'll quit.

Outside of work I am either asleep or out with the GF, I don't live as much of an active lifestyle as I used to, which contributes to the weight gain. I used to ride a bike all the time, but once I moved here that all changed, you'll get killed if you ride a bike. I may just have to suck it up and get a bike and hit OP Shnaebel (not spelled right) and ride around. I miss being on a bike.

"Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Outside of work I am either asleep or out with the GF, I don't live as much of an active lifestyle as I used to, which contributes to the weight gain. I used to ride a bike all the time, but once I moved here that all changed, you'll get killed if you ride a bike. I may just have to suck it up and get a bike and hit OP Shnaebel (not spelled right) and ride around. I miss being on a bike.

Pretty much same story here. Before i moved to Texas, i was 208, i biked 50 miles a day, for fun. Here? Ive been hit a few times and quit after my bike got busted.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Pretty much same story here. Before i moved to Texas, i was 208, i biked 50 miles a day, for fun. Here? Ive been hit a few times and quit after my bike got busted.

And the bike machine isn't nearly the same or as fun as riding an actual bike. I was a Vol. FF for 5 years jr ff up through full volley, and saw too many bike accidents.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    It's your age not your body type. At 25 I could eat what I wanted and didn't have to workout to keep a reasonable weight. Early 30's is when things started changing.

I made it to 180 in my 30s. Heaviest I've ever been.

I know, y'all don't want to hear it. I can't gain weight.
    I'd do better with 10 or so more lbs, it just won't stick.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    I made it to 180 in my 30s. Heaviest I've ever been.

I know, y'all don't want to hear it. I can't gain weight.
    I'd do better with 10 or so more lbs, it just won't stick.

You can have 10 of mine lol

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Simple. Diet & normal exercise, unless you have a serious medical condition.

Burn more calories than you consume. It is easier than most think.

Quit the refined sugars cold turkey. No cookies, sweets, or soda pops.

Get your sugar high from fresh fruit such as plums, peaches, and watermelon.

Don't eat processed foods of any kind.

Exchange plain white bread with whole grain breads. Slowly add dietary fiber supplements to your daily routine. (Go slow as too much dietary fiber will cause digestive upset -- you might shit your pants at an awkward moment).

Drink lots of spring water and unsweetened tea throughout the day.

Get your exercise by parking as far away from every place you wish to visit. Walk up stairs instead of getting on an elevator. Mow your lawn with a push mower instead of a riding mower.

Eat a healthy breakfast and lunch. Don't worry about the fat calories. Skip the evening meal. Munch on Veggies. Drink as much beer as you like.

Start your morning with a couple of cups of coffee, a smoke, and a healthy bowel dump.

Be patient, this program takes a few years, not days, weeks, or months as most weight loss programs advertise.

In three years, I went from 170 to 132 lbs. My heart is still ticking and I feel much better than I ever have.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I lost 75lbs because I got off my fat ass and worked out.
    So don't discredit my work and give it to my age.

Congrats on the hard work and stating fit.

It doesn't work for me at 43. I spend 4hrs a week in the gym. If my diet is not strict I can gain several lbs per week. It's an age thing for me.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    And the bike machine isn't nearly the same or as fun as riding an actual bike. I was a Vol. FF for 5 years jr ff up through full volley, and saw too many bike accidents.

Yeah. There isnt too much more fun then biking from Camp Pendleton up the 101, past LA and back, or even out to Palomar mountain. Thats really all i miss from California. The Biking in the mountains, and on the coast.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Congrats on the hard work and stating fit.

It doesn't work for me at 43. I spend 4hrs a week in the gym. If my diet is not strict I can gain several lbs per week. It's an age thing for me.
    I agree 100% that my age helped.
    And compared to someone 40+yrs, it helped a lot.
    But it wasn't doing me any good sitting in a library or on my couch. Lol

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    They can be a bit pricey, but most gyms have personal trainers. As you get started, you could benefit form a few sessions with a PT. Tell them your goals, and in addition to working you out, have them give you a written exercise plan. A lot of people start working out, and work hard but don't get the max out of their efforts.

And working out has to become a routine. Something you do regularly like brushing your teeth, and something you will do for a lifetime. FWIW, I go to the gym 6 days a week, and do strength work for 1 hour and cardio for 1 hour. Add in about 15 minutes of shooting the bull with gym friends. Of course I'm retired so it's easy for me to commit that time. But even before I retired 2 years ago, I did 1 hour a day, 4-5 days a week right after work. I always feel better walking out of the gym than walking in.

Let me add. Don't be embarrassed about your weight starting out. There are plenty of overweight people that go to gyms. I personally am never critical of anyone, and give my encouragement when I see a person working hard to get into shape. 99% of people at gyms (at least the one I go to) are very supportive.

Last edited:

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Let me add. Don't be embarrassed about your weight starting out. There are plenty of overweight people that go to gyms. I personally am never critical of anyone, and give my encouragement when I see a person working hard to get into shape. 99% of people at gyms (at least the one I go to) are very supportive.

YEP YEP!
    I'd rather see someone out of shape busting their @$$ than the ones that are already cut up. It reminds me of where I was and motivates me to push harder.

I was in college at aTm when I started working out ~265lbs. There were sorority girls everywhere. At first I was embarrassed, but after the first couple girls told me to keep up the good work I flipped the embarrassment to motivation.

People at the gym don't care and don't judge. And if they do, they're Jersey Shore dick bags and you shouldn't value their opinion anyways.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    YEP YEP!
    I'd rather see someone out of shape busting their @$$ than the ones that are already cut up. It reminds me of where I was and motivates me to push harder.

I was in college at aTm when I started working out ~265lbs. There were sorority girls everywhere. At first I was embarrassed, but after the first couple girls told me to keep up the good work I flipped the embarrassment to motivation.

People at the gym don't care and don't judge. And if they do, they're Jersey Shore dick bags and you shouldn't value their opinion anyways.

Jersey shore dick bags! Hahah! I'll remember that one! Thanks for the kind words guys,'I'm hoping to get a golds membership, or try to utilize whatever working equipment my apartment has..!

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Jersey shore dick bags! Hahah! I'll remember that one! Thanks for the kind words guys,'I'm hoping to get a golds membership, or try to utilize whatever working equipment my apartment has..!

Do some research on lifting for muscle or cardio and you might be able to have a good session at your apartment depending on the quality and amount of equipment. Mostly just need dumbbells.

These are the ones that might judge you. But do you really care?????
    Do you???? Lol
    46778.jpg

Top Bottom