• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The roads would be littered with dead gold wing riders if that were true ;)
    How many times have you heard the excuse "I didn't know he was there" by motorists after hitting a motorcycle? Not all motorcycles that have been hit were Harleys, I'll take every advantage where I can get it.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    How many times have you heard the excuse "I didn't know he was there" by motorists after hitting a motorcycle. Not all motorcycles that have been hit were Harleys, I'll take every advantage where I can get it.
    People crash into school buses too. I think our best defence against the idiots on the road is between our ears.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I quit riding when I turned 62, 10 years ago. My last bike was a Suzuki 1200 Bandit, 105 HP at rear wheel. The old reaction times were getting a little slow, and I hung up my helmet. I miss riding a lot. But I think it would just been a matter of time before I became a statistic. I think about the words of Kenny Roberts, umpteen time world champ Super Bike racer: when asked what kind of street bike he rode, he responded that he didn't have a street license, and that anyone who rode a bike in traffic was an idiot! LOL!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    lol I immediately discount anyone as an authority on anything automotive when they blow the "Honda and Toyota are the most reliable and American cars are unreliable junk" nonsense out of their pie hole.

There's a very simple fact with anything mechanical - keep up with the maintenance, and it's going to last.

Powertrains from ANY manufacturer can go a half million miles easily with normal maintenance. The soft parts around it may start to age and fail, especially in the Texas sun, but the truth is you can keep driving anything until you're just plain sick of it. I've torn down my fair share of motors from various companies over the years, and while some aspects of some are better or worse than the others, they all can last as long as you need them to.

Loud pipes are annoying, but only when the owner is the douchecanoe that likes to go cranking one off every two seconds while coming into the neighborhood at 2am. When that happens, his neighbors make his life hell and he moves ;) In traffic, they do indeed help. A lot.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Sure that is what you see and most 18-24 can't afford an 15-30k recreational toy hence the metrics but as a whole, what percentage of millennials ride? I am guessing very few. How many of them shoot?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I dunno about the how many are shooting thing, but I tried to invite one to a shooting event and she called when I was on the way there and she was dallying getting on the stick to get there and wanted to know what time it was over so I guess she could come for the last 30 minutes or so? I guess you you can at least say you did something, even if you got there so late it didn’t matter that you showed up? She’s done that more than once. Husband told me that’s a millennial thing.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    How many times have you heard the excuse "I didn't know he was there" by motorists after hitting a motorcycle? Not all motorcycles that have been hit were Harleys, I'll take every advantage where I can get it.
    I was run off the road while running lights AND siren . . . and that's far louder than your Harley. And I've got the wheelchair to prove it. Not to mention the amputation above the knee. Doh!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I quit riding when I turned 62, 10 years ago. My last bike was a Suzuki 1200 Bandit, 105 HP at rear wheel. The old reaction times were getting a little slow, and I hung up my helmet. I miss riding a lot. But I think it would just been a matter of time before I became a statistic. I think about the words of Kenny Roberts, umpteen time world champ Super Bike racer: when asked what kind of street bike he rode, he responded that he didn't have a street license, and that anyone who rode a bike in traffic was an idiot! LOL!
    I've driven and rode across the U.S. and I tell everyone that driving is like watching a movie, on a motorcycle, you're in the movie.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    As long as we're doing a generic bitch session.....

I like loud exhaust more than loud stereos any day, anywhere.
    If you're going to spend thousands getting your "Never leave the pavement" 4wd truck lifted so you need a ladder to get in, spend a little extra and get the damned headlights adjusted back legal specs.
    If you leave for work at 5am and have loud pipes, yer an asshole.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    It would be a simple matter for HD to build their engines to run smoothly and quietly, but that would be a bridge too far for them. "Iconic" is NOT the word I use to describe a machine that is a vibratory nightmare and is louder than it need be.

Full disclosure: I've got a GL1800 and an R1150GS. The day I got hurt I was riding an R1200RTP and attempting to make a traffic stop.
    Certainly they could build an engine that ran smooth and did not vibrate, but that is not going to happen with a V twin configuration, as for the vibration, rubber mounts solve that issue, my FXDWG was a rubber mount and had very little vibe and as you pickup the RPM it does smooth out.

Loud pipes save lives, indeed they do, but loud pipes are a choice nothing else, you want quiet then you can have it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Just so it's known, as I was typing those comments, I'm not mad at what has been said. I understand peoples disregard for Harleys and am certainly not trying to sell anyone on Harley or any other motorcycles. I am just relating what I know and what I like. Harleys are not everyone's cup of tea and I ride with people that own many different bikes and we all like our bikes for different reasons. That is the reason my first comment in this thread was "To each their own". I don't care for comments that is based on biased hearsay and have tried to base mine on what I know. Certainly I would like it if every part on my bike was made in America, but then it's hard to find, if not impossible, in any machine sold in the U.S., but it doesn't mean it's a bad product.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    I rode for over 40 years and never had an accident. I of course had some close calls. I rode like everyone in a car or truck was out to get me. A bike is not like driving a car, in a car you can think about other things, and get by with it most times. You do that on a bike and you are courting disaster! Ride to live, and live to ride! Lotta truth in that old saw.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've crashed the hell out of dirt bikes. Really tore them up. Holes in the crankcase.

Never wrecked on the street. I've had cars not see me. One older lady was completely oblivious to me. She came close enough to the bike, I was able to knuckle knock on her door glass. She finally saw me. Once she made eye contact. I flipped her off. She could see my finger because she was 3' off the right side of the bike.

I was riding a single cylinder 850 with no muffler at all. I had to wear ear plugs to ride it. It didn't matter how loud the bike was. This lady drove out like I didn't exist. Loud pipes don't do anything.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Certainly they could build an engine that ran smooth and did not vibrate, but that is not going to happen with a V twin configuration, as for the vibration, rubber mounts solve that issue, my FXDWG was a rubber mount and had very little vibe and as you pickup the RPM it does smooth out.

Loud pipes save lives, indeed they do, but loud pipes are a choice nothing else, you want quiet then you can have it.
    It's very possible to build a low vibration V-Twin... with a dual pin crankshaft... even the HD Revolution engine has it. But then you don't get the cadance and the engine sounds like a lawnmower. They don't want that to sound louder, mostly sounds like cramp.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've crashed the hell out of dirt bikes. Really tore them up. Holes in the crankcase.

Never wrecked on the street. I've had cars not see me. One older lady was completely oblivious to me. She came close enough to the bike, I was able to knuckle knock on her door glass. She finally saw me. Once she made eye contact. I flipped her off. She could see my finger because she was 3' off the right side of the bike.

I was riding a single cylinder 850 with no muffler at all. I had to wear ear plugs to ride it. It didn't matter how loud the bike was. This lady drove out like I didn't exist. Loud pipes don't do anything.
    So one old lady that quite possibly was half deaf or more prompts a comment for all instances?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    So one old lady that was quite possibly was half deaf or more prompts a comment for all instances?

There was the guy with a 20' trailer he forgot about. Then another lady at another intersection. The better one was somebody merging into my lane ahead of me. I was in the blind spot so I was at fault. She merged left and I heated the brakes up.

850cc, no muffler. It's never made a difference.

Top Bottom