Capitol Armory ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Younggun,

IF a person wanted an ID to carry in another State, a form could be easily created that the person could request at their county tax office or the DMV (as TX ID cards are currently issued for 5.00.)

Alternatively, we could "take a page out of" some of the other southern states & have an "on request license" as AL & GA used to have. = I had a license in both States in the mid-1970s, when I was on the staff at USAIS, & probably spent at least 15 minutes in a local police station in each State (Columbus, GA & Phenix City, AL) to get my licenses. = Photographed, thumbprint taken, license filled out by the desk clerk, laminated & quickly out the door with license in hand.
    (AL charged, I think I remember, 10.oo & GA was 5.oo at that time.)

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Younggun,

IF a person wanted an ID to carry in another State, a form could be easily created that the person could request at their county tax office or the DMV (as TX ID cards are currently issued for 5.00.)

Alternatively, we could "take a page out of" some of the other southern states & have an "on request license" as AL & GA used to have. = I had a license in both States in the mid-1970s, when I was on the staff at USAIS, & probably spent at least 15 minutes in a local police station in each State (Columbus, GA & Phenix City, AL) to get my licenses. = Photographed, thumbprint taken, license filled out by the desk clerk, laminated & quickly out the door with license in hand.
    (AL charged, I think I remember, 10.oo & GA was 5.oo at that time.)

yours, satx

And we would lose reciprocity with how many states?

Sorry, but that's pretty important to some people.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mreed911,

VERY TRUE. = ImVho, "the full faith & credit provisions" of the US Constitution ALREADY cover us with nothing more than a simple reading of those provisions, just as other States MUST recognize Texas marriages/driver's licenses, if those licenses are valid in TX.

yours, satx

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Mreed911,

VERY TRUE. = ImVho, "the full faith & credit provisions" of the US Constitution ALREADY cover us with nothing more than a simple reading of those provisions, just as other States MUST recognize Texas marriages/driver's licenses, if those licenses are valid in TX

I only disagree a little and I'm not solid on where I stand here, but would that mean a plumber's license, electrician's license, etc. should be valid across state lines, too? At what point do states have rights to set their own standards and enforce their own laws?

Honest question, not poking the bear.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mreed911,

I'm NOT at all sure where the line is on one State requiring people from another State's residents to comply with their State's laws. = I do KNOW that out-of-state DL & marriage licenses MUST be recognized across all 50 States line. =The SCOTUS "spoke" on that in the 1930s when long-distance truckers from VA were "having difficulty" in the Carolinas.

HOPEFULLY our forum has a knowledgeable attorney as a member, who can speak authoritatively on that issue.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A full-on 2A ruling a la Heller that applied across the board would solve that. :)

Personally, I don't believe any licensing should be required to carry, thus making reciprocity moot.

But we don't live in that world, least not until my plans to take over are out in to action.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    I only disagree a little and I'm not solid on where I stand here, but would that mean a plumber's license, electrician's license, etc. should be valid across state lines, too? At what point do states have rights to set their own standards and enforce their own laws?

Honest question, not poking the bear.

Interesting point.

Medical practitioners licences are *generally* applicable across state lines, even though one *generally* needs to have a license for the state they are practicing in. The basic standard of care doesn't vary from state to state.

If it doesn't _matter_ in this instance, which clearly involves life and death issues, why not the same for CHL/CCW etc?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Interesting point.

Medical practitioners licences are *generally* applicable across state lines, even though one *generally* needs to have a license for the state they are practicing in. The basic standard of care doesn't vary from state to state.

If it doesn't _matter_ in this instance, which clearly involves life and death issues, why not the same for CHL/CCW etc?

This is relative. I'm a Licensed Paramedic by the State of Texas (don't get me started on a certificate called a license vs. an actual license) but I'm not certified by the National Registry of EMT's as a Nationally Registered Paramedic (I've been a medic long enough I'm grandfathered at the state level and we ceded our state-local testing out to NR, accepting their testing for new medics several years ago). My Texas license does me no good in any other state. Were I National Registry certified, I'd still have to be licensed or certified by any other state, depending on their laws.

Nurses have somewhat more 'portability,' doctors even moreso. It's really across the board, no pun intended.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mreed911, et. al.,

ONE group of NON-LE folks can already travel to all 50 States ARMED & to most other nations, too. = REGISTERED DIAMOND MERCHANTS, who have a DeBeers "ID card".
    (I have a friend from Dallas who is a diamond/precious gems/gold dealer, who is allowed to travel essentially everywhere armed. ="Rob" travels to NYC, CA & other "ANTI-gun States" routinely, as well as to the UK, Israel, etc.)

Note: As he is "lightly disabled", he carries a "shotgun cane" that fires a 3" Mag 12gauge shotgun, as well as two handguns.
    Believe it or not, that gun-cane is lawfully licensed with BATFE for a 5.oo tax stamp as an "Any Other Weapon".

yours, satx

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Mreed911, et. al.,

ONE group of NON-LE folks can already travel to all 50 States ARMED & to most other nations, too. = REGISTERED DIAMOND MERCHANTS, who have a DeBeers "ID card".
    (I have a friend from Dallas who is a diamond/precious gems/gold dealer, who is allowed to travel essentially everywhere armed. ="Rob" travels to NYC, CA & other "ANTI-gun States" routinely, as well as to the UK, Israel, etc.)

Can you provide the federal and Texas law citations that make carrying a weapon legal for these people "in all 50 states" and just in Texas.

I don't see that listed in Chapter 46 of the penal code.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mreed911,

NOPE. I cannot. = I just know that he is even "waved around" by the TSA airport security folks, once they see that ID card & goes armed to NYC's "Diamond District" several times a year & has had ZERO "static" from NYPD.
    (I suspect, but do NOT know, that there's some sort of international agreement on this small group of people, as NO place wants them robbed/assaulted/murdered to steal their goods.)

I've SEEN some of what "Rob" routinely travels with (He used to call on a wholesale jeweler at the Market Center in Dallas.) in that sample-case & it's SPECTACULAR. = He is a wholesale franchisee/courier for a Tel Aviv diamond cutter.

yours, satx

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    This is relative. I'm a Licensed Paramedic by the State of Texas (don't get me started on a certificate called a license vs. an actual license) but I'm not certified by the National Registry of EMT's as a Nationally Registered Paramedic (I've been a medic long enough I'm grandfathered at the state level and we ceded our state-local testing out to NR, accepting their testing for new medics several years ago). My Texas license does me no good in any other state. Were I National Registry certified, I'd still have to be licensed or certified by any other state, depending on their laws.

Nurses have somewhat more 'portability,' doctors even moreso. It's really across the board, no pun intended.

Nurse Practitioner here (and former EMT-B). I get it. In reality, it's silly at best.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Nurse Practitioner here (and former EMT-B). I get it. In reality, it's silly at best.

Agreed, but it lets us do things like NOT have a national standard of practice, which would set standards at a much lower level. Here, I'm allowed to do some VERY advanced things that folks in other cities in Texas and other states can only dream of. Because of that, I can do a LOT more in terms of providing care, but if we were all held to a national standard, we'd lose that.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Here, I'm allowed to do some VERY advanced things that folks in other cities in Texas and other states can only dream of.

OK. I'll bite. - WHY can you do in Austin more advanced things that other paramedics in TX can "only dream about"??? - Aren't all paramedics in TX under the same licensing agency?

yours, satx

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    OK. I'll bite. - WHY can you do in Austin more advanced things that other paramedics in TX can "only dream about"??? - Aren't all paramedics in TX under the same licensing agency?

yours, satx
    mreed practices under the direct supervision of his service's Medical Director. As such, that Director--who is always a pretty heavyweight Emergency Medicine Physician--can establish whatever protocols he/she desires. That includes permitting invasive techniques outside the hospital setting and also certain meds and treatments--also outside the hospital setting. Each EMS service operates in that manner, but not always with the same permissions.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

I live in Austin. I work in Houston, but not for the city.

We're all certified/licensed through the same agency (Texas Dept. of State Health Services, EMS Division), but Texas allows the individual medical directors for EMS agencies to determine what those that practice under their license can and can't do and what equipment and drugs they can use to do it. The state establishes minimum standards - some use those, others don't.

Of course, I'm expected to do more than the minimum continuing education, participate in in-house training, maintain additional ancillary certifications and undergo an annual clinical review - things our service requires above and beyond the state minimums for recertification/relicensure.

Your larger fire department based agencies have so many medics that are focused on more than just being medics that they often practice at a "lower" level, closer to the minimums, and only provide advanced services through "special" units. Your more rural EMS services that can't afford some of the equipment, medicines or training may do the same. I dare say the Houston area (including Montgomery County), in general, is one of the best places to be a medic. Perhaps because of the Texas Medical Center, but most of the outlying EMS-only or Fire/EMS services tend to provide much higher levels of clinical care. The northern San Antonio suburbs may be a close second. Plano Fire/EMS probably deserves a strong mention, too.

In Austin, for example, Williamson County is probably one of the most clinically advanced services around and I know North Blanco County is running some pretty advanced therapies, too. Austin/Travis County is regressing to the mean, IMHO, but that's more to do with their executive leadership and less the spectacular medics they have fewer of every day.

Without getting deeply technical it's harder to explain, but suffice it to say where you have your heart attack actually does matter. :)

Top Bottom