• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The more I've thought about it lately, the more I wonder what Abbott has done to get OC passed.

Sure, he said he'd sign it, but I don't remember much push from the governors office. Almost seemed to be a matter of indifference and at this point I don't feel the need to give him any credit for the passage of OC or campus carry.
    Target Sports

Vol Texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Copied with respects from the TexasCHLForum:

He should sign SB273 in front of the 30.06 sign at Austin City Hall, HB910 in front of Acevado's office at APD Headquarters, and SB11 on the steps of the UT tower building.

Or would that be spiking the football?

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Copied with respects from the TexasCHLForum:

He should sign SB273 in front of the 30.06 sign at Austin City Hall, HB910 in front of Acevado's office at APD Headquarters, and SB11 on the steps of the UT tower building.

Or would that be spiking the football?
    Awesome thought! lol

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    So far I like what he's about.

He has 10 days to sign bills, and who knows how many others came to his desk before OC. I wonder if he actually reads every word?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    it's been a week now, anyone know how long it takes to get some people together for a photo op?

It's like pissing on our victory lap. can't think of a good reason for waiting for a week for something as anticipated at this unless he has been touring flood areas

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    vmax,

During last night's TEA PARTY meeting here in San Antonio, one of the "political operatives" for a TX Senator said that the Governor is going to have ONE "photo op" to do all the main bills at once this coming week.
    He further said to watch the Governor's office website's "News section" for when/where.

yours, satx

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    The more I've thought about it lately, the more I wonder what Abbott has done to get OC passed.
    I would argue that Abbott is the primary reason the bills got passed. Prior to his election, we had Rick Perry, who was anti Open Carry. Would Perry have signed the bill? Maybe not. Probably not. And if not, then where was the appetite in the legislature to pass such a bill, much less an appetite to prioritize it?

Abbott, on the other hand, actively campaigned for Open Carry and for Campus Carry. He made both into prominent planks in his election campaign. And, he set the tone for the legislature by declaring that he would sign any bills that they passed. Surprise, surprise, the first legislative session where he's governor, both bills passed...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I still maintain it was setup that way as a gift from Perry to Abbott so he could have a big win in his first session. This ensures Abbott will continue to get great voter turnout.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2015
    Links, please?

This has not happened in other states.

Open carrying, regularly, will HELP desensitize the scared soccer moms - ESPECIALLY if we can get the pro-gun women to do the same thing.
    I don't have a link. I grew up in South America and happens ALL the time. Police officers are killed in broad light and soldiers who fall asleep at their posts get robbed.
    Carrying a gun is a BIG responsibility.
    What happen if you are openly carry in a establishment and a robbery occurs? Now you are a target.
    Never a good idea to go flashing things around.
    Another scenario: big daddy just got out of jail and saw old men carrying his 1911. He knows that piece is what he needs to pop the homie that sent him to jail plus make some money this weekend. I really hope old man has some skills to retain and control his weapon. I hope he has a good retention level....

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't have a link. I grew up in South America and happens ALL the time. Police officers are killed in broad light and soldiers who fall asleep at their posts get robbed.
    What happen if you are openly carry in a establishment and a robbery occurs? Now you are a target.
    Another scenario: big daddy just got out of jail and saw old men carrying his 1911. He knows that piece is what he needs to pop the homie that sent him to jail plus make some money this weekend. I really hope old man has some skills to retain and control his weapon. I hope he has a good retention level....

Fantasy. (Edit to add: In the US. I don't doubt the South America stories, but that's a different culture).

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Agreed. Forty-five states with open carry, and this doesn't happen in any of them. Suddenly, like everything else, it'll be different when Texas gets open carry.

Honestly, people need to put these wild fantasies to rest, or at least keep them to themselves! They are making themselves look like complete morons with such claims!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Agreed. Forty-five states with open carry, and this doesn't happen in any of them. Suddenly, like everything else, it'll be different when Texas gets open carry.

Honestly, people need to put these wild fantasies to rest, or at least keep them to themselves! They are making themselves look like complete morons with such claims!

Winner! /////////////^^^^^^

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas

Lmao!!!!!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I'll admit, I had reservations at first with open carry.......but the more I thought about it, the more sense it not only made, but the freedom that is somewhat restored (until we get true Constitutional carry) is a testament to us being Americans.......

I came to realize my personal bias and feelings were quite irrelevant to the issue and I was using them to rationalize my initial uneasiness about OC..........

I became a supporter and glad we are on a positive track..........

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'll admit, I had reservations at first with open carry.......but the more I thought about it, the more sense it not only made, but the freedom that is somewhat restored (until we get true Constitutional carry) is a testament to us being Americans.......

I came to realize my personal bias and feelings were quite irrelevant to the issue and I was using them to rationalize my initial uneasiness about OC..........

I became a supporter and glad we are on a positive track..........

thank you.
    Like you, my position shifted during this legislative session.
    I was all in on Constitutional carry. Like you, I accepted compromise and lent my support to licensed OC, because it's forward progress.
    Hopefully the push continues in '17.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    Got an e-mail from TSRA,

Governor Greg Abbott Signs
    HB 910 by Phillips and Estes

Yesterday, at Red's Indoor Range North, with dozens of stakeholders, legislators, press and friends as witnesses, Governor Gregg Abbott signed HB 910--licensed open carry, making history for Texas gun owners.

Rep. Larry Phillips (R-Sherman) and Sen. Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls) were present as the bill's authors. Also, present was Rep. Ryan Guillen, one of the four joint authors and Rep. Allen Fletcher (R-Tomball) representing the eighty co-authors on HB 910.

Only Open Carry was signed yesterday during the signing ceremony but Governor Abbott referenced the Campus bill, SB 11, saying it had been signed. SB 11 was filed and carried by Sen. Brian Birdwell (R-Granbury) and Rep. Allen Fletcher (R-Tomball).

SB 473 by Sen. Perry (R-Lubbock) and Rep. Frullo (R-Lubbock) revised PC 46.05 and clarified in state law the legal possession and ownership of NFA devices. SB 473 was signed by Governor Perry on May 22nd. SB 273 creates a sizable fine and a reporting process when cities, counties, and other governmental entities post PC 30.06 or a significantly similar sign designed to prohibit or threaten licensees with entering property not currently prohibited by statute. SB 273 was authored by Sen. Donna Campbell and passed by Rep. Guillen (D-Rio Grande City). This bill was passed by Guillen in 2013 but ultimately lost on the last day of that session due to an over-reaching Senate amendment. While SB 273 does not show as being signed, a governor's signature is not required.

Any bill passed, and not vetoed, becomes law.

It was a wonderful, history-making day for Texas gun owners and TSRA and NRA were present and acknowledged. When the signing ceremony was complete, Governor Abbott took a minute and shot on Red's indoor range. Our governor isn't a half-bad shot!

TSRA was represented by executive director, Doug DuBois, TSRA staff, and members of TSRA's legislative committee. NRA lobbyist Tara Mica and Charles Cotton, NRA Board member, were also present. Many of the additional guests had testified in support, contributing to the passage of HB 910.

Major thanks go to owners and staff at Red's who provided the backdrop to history.

Top Bottom