• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    diesel1959,

INTERESTING!!! - It's surprising the things that one learns here.

yours, satx
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    mreed's answer was a lot more compelling and compete. Suffice to say that there's a lot of us out there who owe our lives to the EMS system as we go about our lives. I know I do.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mreed911; diesel1959,

NOBODY has more respect for paramedics than I do, as I'm completely convinced that I would have lost my lady on a cold night in 2012, when Sandra had a "crisis", had it not been for a group of 4 paramedics from SAFD. - She is paralyzed from mid-chest down & they came "lickedy-split" & "got her going again", stabalized & got her to the hospital alive & "as well as can be expected".

You guys/gals are HEROES in my view.

yours, satx

McClintock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    ok, he's all day on Monday and hasn't signed it yet?

Something stinks.

Doesn't matter if he doesn't sign them, they automatically become law unless he vetoes them. Signing them into law is just a way of a Governor saying he likes the bill, or wants to be in on any bragging rights.

Abbott has made it clear he will sign them both. Maybe he is arranging a photo op..... what better way to really burn the image into the voting public's eye- and thumb his nose at MDA, Bloomberg, Liberals and other anti-second amendment types- than to do it at a time where there can be more of a spot light?

Nothing to worry about here.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Doesn't matter if he doesn't sign them, they automatically become law unless he vetoes them. Signing them into law is just a way of a Governor saying he likes the bill, or wants to be in on any bragging rights.

Abbott has made it clear he will sign them both. Maybe he is arranging a photo op..... what better way to really burn the image into the voting public's eye- and thumb his nose at MDA, Bloomberg, Liberals and other anti-second amendment types- than to do it at a time where there can be more of a spot light?

Nothing to worry about here.

He's waiting for his "Bloomberg can suck it!" tee shirt to come in before he has the signing ceremony.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

I just called the Governor's office & was told that the ceremony hasn't been set as of 1600hrs, 01JUN15.

yours, satx

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    mreed's answer was a lot more compelling and compete. Suffice to say that there's a lot of us out there who owe our lives to the EMS system as we go about our lives. I know I do.

One of my sons does too.

Several years ago he severed his femoral artery in a construction accident (his own fault, really) - lucky for him he remembered his Scout training about tourniquets, as he was alone on that job early in the morning in North Austin. Also lucky for him we had recently given him his first cellphone, and it got the EMS there within 5 minutes - the AFD station was just a few blocks away.

After his surgery at Brack , the doc informed me that my son had bled out about 3 liters - and it was a miracle he didn't go into cardiac arrest. Since Son is a slender 5'10" & 150 lbs., he didn't have much juice left. It took him about 6 months before he regained full use of that leg.

Good thing those great people saved him - his wife passed away from breast/brain cancer two years later on the morning of her 39th birthday- leaving him to raise my two little grandsons (age 10 & 3).

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    One of my sons does too.

Several years ago he severed his femoral artery in a construction accident (his own fault, really) - lucky for him he remembered his Scout training about tourniquets, as he was alone on that job early in the morning in North Austin. Also lucky for him we had recently given him his first cellphone, and it got the EMS there within 5 minutes - the AFD station was just a few blocks away.

After his surgery at Brack , the doc informed me that my son had bled out about 3 liters - and it was a miracle he didn't go into cardiac arrest. Since Son is a slender 5'10" & 150 lbs., he didn't have much juice left. It took him about 6 months before he regained full use of that leg.

Good thing those great people saved him - his wife passed away from breast/brain cancer two years later on the morning of her 39th birthday- leaving him to raise my two little grandsons (age 10 & 3).
    yep. They can be absolute miracle workers. On Oct. 14th, 2011, I was a half-hour from finishing my shift and work week, and was working the school zone traffic zone in Devers, TX. While going after a speeder that afternoon, my motorcycle and I were forced off the road and into a drainage ditch, where I struck a driveway culvert made of concrete. After learning that I actually can fly, though not very well, I landed fifty feet away and had two broken femurs (one open), a broken ankle, and a humerus bone broken into six pieces. Life Flight took the handoff from the local EMTs and got me to Herman pronto and saved my life. In all, I had 24 units of blood pumped into me and had seven surgeries (39 hours of general anesthesia) in the first two weeks. I am lucky to be here and lucky to still have all my limbs, but I'm still recuperating. Advanced EMS care and a fast chopper preserved the "Golden Hour" and I am ever grateful for that.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    yep. They can be absolute miracle workers. On Oct. 14th, 2011, I was a half-hour from finishing my shift and work week, and was working the school zone traffic zone in Devers, TX. While going after a speeder that afternoon, my motorcycle and I were forced off the road and into a drainage ditch, where I struck a driveway culvert made of concrete. After learning that I actually can fly, though not very well, I landed fifty feet away and had two broken femurs (one open), a broken ankle, and a humerus bone broken into six pieces. Life Flight took the handoff from the local EMTs and got me to Herman pronto and saved my life. In all, I had 24 units of blood pumped into me and had seven surgeries (39 hours of general anesthesia) in the first two weeks. I am lucky to be here and lucky to still have all my limbs, but I'm still recuperating. Advanced EMS care and a fast chopper preserved the "Golden Hour" and I am ever grateful for that.

Damnnn! Glad you're coming along OK! Did anyone catch the driver that forced you off the road?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Advanced EMS care and a fast chopper preserved the "Golden Hour" and I am ever grateful for that.

<Off-topic>

Just one minor pet peeve - while time is important and surgeons are the ones that fix things, the Golden Hour as a concept meant to "rush" things has been mostly disproven. Time matters, but not as an excuse to put patients at extra risk of harm through unnecessary air medical transport or 'balls to the wall' reckless driving (ever watch Mother, Juggs & Speed?).

If you've never seen 'pit crew' CPR in action, it looks STRANGE when you're used to the "do something, do it now, it doesn't matter who does it!" method that was popular for such a long time (focusing on specific skills vs. functional roles). It's also why you see a fire engine come on so many calls - everyone having a role and focusing on the role vs. "do this, now do that, no, I mean this!" has a demonstrable positive impact.

Imagine if a NASCAR crew just came out and did whatever, in whatever order, with no regard for "the dance?" Pit stops would be chaotic. CPR was that way for a long, long time.

. . . now sign the bill!

<On-topic>

He'll do it, but it's only symbolic. Only a veto changes anything. :) Too bad we can't OC to the signing ceremony (or immediately on the stroke of the pen!)

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    <Off-topic>

Just one minor pet peeve - while time is important and surgeons are the ones that fix things, the Golden Hour as a concept meant to "rush" things has been mostly disproven. Time matters, but not as an excuse to put patients at extra risk of harm through unnecessary air medical transport or 'balls to the wall' reckless driving (ever watch Mother, Juggs & Speed?).

If you've never seen 'pit crew' CPR in action, it looks STRANGE when you're used to the "do something, do it now, it doesn't matter who does it!" method that was popular for such a long time (focusing on specific skills vs. functional roles). It's also why you see a fire engine come on so many calls - everyone having a role and focusing on the role vs. "do this, now do that, no, I mean this!" has a demonstrable positive impact.

Imagine if a NASCAR crew just came out and did whatever, in whatever order, with no regard for "the dance?" Pit stops would be chaotic. CPR was that way for a long, long time.
    When I got hurt, Life Flight was about one or two months shy of instituting their protocol update that now permits them to administer blood in-flight when needed. That ability would have helped in my case, as I was bleeding out but not from the femoral artery. My case was most definitely "load and go". When I went through EMS training at Rice in 1999 (while I was employed by the PD there), the Golden Hour was still very much in the curriculum, but I know what you mean. I noticed that my EMT-B cert (like you--state registered and not national registry) had expired a couple weeks before my crash and now it's too late to worry about it.

And when the Life Flight crew that treated and flew me stopped by my hospital room about a week into my four-month stay, you couldn't convince me that they hadn't save my life. You also know that EMS crews--jaded as they can sometimes be--are not unaffected emotionally when they're hauling one of their own (cop/fire fighter/EMT).

[/off-topic]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom