• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    My local work rep, John Carter, co-wrote this bill. I wrote to him, thanking him for his efforts to get this passed.

I also wrote to Roger Williams thanking him for his support on this bill.

My hometown rep, Bill Flores, replied "....blah, blah, blah, ....support 2nd amendment ....blah, blah, blah."
    I replied back that I still didn't see his name on it...

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    so are the guys saying 0 chance of passage the sames ones that said 0 chance for licensed open carry and also 0% for campus carry?

heritagejl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2017
    While it is the stuff that dreams are made of, I don't think it has a snowballs chance in hell of passing. Its a solid revenue stream that they certainly won't want to give up and as soon as it gets any traction, certain groups are going to run shock and awe campaigns to paint suppressor owners as 1 step above the devil. It will be commercial after commercial of crying mothers and empty school classrooms and a tag line of so and so group/ representative want to make silencers easily available to bad guys. While we all know it to be false, the narrative almost writes itself.

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    Without seeing proof, I find it hard it to believe that a tax stamp is a source of income. $200 would maybe cover 4 hours of work. They probably expend that much just responding to "what is the status of my form" inquiries. It would be cheaper to give AOW stamps from a vending machine. This is about control and keeping them from the masses, which is why the fee was so high in 1934.

It would be interesting to see how much the government spends on approving the forms compared to the revenue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Without seeing proof, I find it hard it to believe that a tax stamp is a source of income. $200 would maybe cover 4 hours of work. They probably expend that much just responding to "what is the status of my form" inquiries. It would be cheaper to give AOW stamps from a vending machine. This is about control and keeping them from the masses, which is why the fee was so high in 1934.

It would be interesting to see how much the government spends on approving the forms compared to the revenue.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm sure the 200 isn't covering the costs any more. There's probably 5 Gs 14s sitting in a room with a couple stacks of paper on their desk:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Yes, I'm sure the 200 isn't covering the costs any more. There's probably 5 Gs 14s sitting in a room with a couple stacks of paper on their desk:

It was never really about covering the cost.

The goal was to make it prohibitively expensive.

Stolen from the 'net about prices in 1936:

Average wages per year $1,713.00.
    Cost of a gallon of Gas 10 cents.
    Average Cost for house rent $24.00 per month.
    A loaf of Bread 8 cents.

That $200 was a heavy price to pay when introduced.

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    Hell this would probably save the government money based on what people are saying on here. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    While it is the stuff that dreams are made of, I don't think it has a snowballs chance in hell of passing. Its a solid revenue stream that they certainly won't want to give up and as soon as it gets any traction, certain groups are going to run shock and awe campaigns to paint suppressor owners as 1 step above the devil. It will be commercial after commercial of crying mothers and empty school classrooms and a tag line of so and so group/ representative want to make silencers easily available to bad guys. While we all know it to be false, the narrative almost writes itself.

This. There's NO WAY the US gov will give up tax dollars that have been streaming in since 34. NO matter how larde or small its the precedence that they will want to stop and to keep the money flowing. Do we really want more gov intrusion into the firearms we buy? Wouldn't Bill's like this leave those doors open?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I think it stands a good chance of passing.

Something about the Government giving away a tax, for free,is extremely suspect. It only means there is something in it for them. I would want to see what it truly says long before any voting or signing. $200 ain't nothing compared to what we put into our hobby that we use for self and home defense. Some how some way this bill is way bad and will get into our rights.

I don't trust it at all.

texasjohnboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    North Texas
    On face value I don't see this as being more intrusive (treating it as a simple NICS background check, exempted with LTC) than the current practice (write me a check for $200, wait 9 months while I run background check(s) on you, etch your name or your legal trust physically into your suppressor, notification sent directly to LE in your area that you own one).

The ASA and NRA are both supporting this bill, and the NRA might be supporting it almost as much as national reciprocity. If there's a time for this to get through, it's within the next 24-48 months.

Top Bottom