• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    I can't say I'm very fond of Shiny Top. It's ok with a couple of people, but a large group? It's kind of run down in some areas.
    Venture Surplus ad

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Can I make a suggestion?
    What if this year we "try out" Shiny Top. Next meet in April "try out" TSSR. Next meet "try out" another range that may pop up and then, when we know we've had a meet to experience each, get with each other and talk about the pros and cons of each. Why be in a hurry to find a new home, when we can try them all to see which one actually turns out to fit our needs.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's easier to build relationships with ranges if we have an intention of staying.

As of now, we are looking for a range for this meet, nothing about this decision should be taken to assume it will be the permanent home for the TGT meets in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The decision on a home range is not mine, has not been set and I really don't want that resposibility. When I talk to Doc, in no way will I imply that we want to make it a home range permanently. I am getting and passing along info to everyone else. Trying to get all of us the best deal. If it works, it works. If it don't, oh well. Like I told Jeremy and others, it may well turn out that TSSR or even another will be a better long term fit. Right now, getting Oct set up is all I care about.
    Tuesday, I should be able to see Doc and see what can be set up and what he will allow us to do. As well as what he is willing to do for us. I know Doc. If he is approached wrong, it won't be much. I want all of us to have as many options to choose from as possible to find the best permanent home with the most fun possible.
    Even if I have to drive several hours like some, if anyone has better ideas than we have so far, by all means, speak up. I already take the week off. How close it is to me is not my biggest concern.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    +1. Keep the options going.

Next time I go to Shiny Top. I'm parking by the gate and walking the 200yards to the range.

$2000 in Pirelli rolling over a rough flint rock road, isn't the best feeling. Beautiful land and a range that looks like a mini town. It's nice out there. Besides that flint rocks against soft tire thing issue.

It's truck friendly enough. Cars not so much. Rocks will ping the bottom. Did on mine twice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Drive slow, dodge the potholes. It's not too bad. The parking probably twice of Hicksville. I've seen car shows that fit comfy.

It's country parking. The area is big round black dirt space.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Got to talk to Doc today. He is thinking about it and I will see him wednesday afternoon. Shade and a porta potty on the rifle range would not be a problem. That is something they are working on anyway. Cook shack is available for lunch as well. The road is something he does not have the equipment to do anything about. It would be rough on small, low cars.
    No steel targets.
    Nothing over 30-06. No .338 or.50 cals. Full auto would be small caliber only. Found out today that the rifle range as situated now is only about 70-75 yards.
    Don't know yet on explosives or tannerite, but a chalk grenade luancher would be ok.
    I did relay all of this to Tejano Scott to pass on to the rest of the planning committee. If there are any changes in this tomorrow, I will of course pass this on and post here so everyone knows what is going on.
    If you have any better ideas than the two we have so far, PLEASE post them.
    I might suggest that if anyone has likes or dislikes and wants an open discussion, start a thread for it. Leave this thread for any workable ideas anyone may have.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Got to talk to Doc today. He is thinking about it and I will see him wednesday afternoon. Shade and a porta potty on the rifle range would not be a problem. That is something they are working on anyway. Cook shack is available for lunch as well. The road is something he does not have the equipment to do anything about. It would be rough on small, low cars.
    No steel targets.
    Nothing over 30-06. No .338 or.50 cals. Full auto would be small caliber only. Found out today that the rifle range as situated now is only about 70-75 yards.
    Don't know yet on explosives or tannerite, but a chalk grenade luancher would be ok.
    I did relay all of this to Tejano Scott to pass on to the rest of the planning committee. If there are any changes in this tomorrow, I will of course pass this on and post here so everyone knows what is going on.
    If you have any better ideas than the two we have so far, PLEASE post them.
    I might suggest that if anyone has likes or dislikes and wants an open discussion, start a thread for it. Leave this thread for any workable ideas anyone may have.

from an idgit coffeeholic

When he said nothing over 30-06, is he talking power wise, or caliber wise? For example, I have an old Vetterli that fires a 44 caliber bullet, but it's power would be similar to a 44 magnum. There are also big bore guns like the 458 SOCOM, and the 45-70 that don't have the velocity of the 30-06.

I assume he's manly concerned just about the super powerful super long range rounds like the 338 Lapua and the 50 BMG and not the rounds that are common for hunting?

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    It's strange to see those caliber restrictions because I've shot my 45-70 there with no issues. Granted they didn't know I had one and I didn't know it was a "rule" but it's an extremely laid back ranch and Doc is a great guy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    When he said nothing over 30-06, is he talking power wise, or caliber wise? For example, I have an old Vetterli that fires a 44 caliber bullet, but it's power would be similar to a 44 magnum. There are also big bore guns like the 458 SOCOM, and the 45-70 that don't have the velocity of the 30-06.

I assume he's manly concerned just about the super powerful super long range rounds like the 338 Lapua and the 50 BMG and not the rounds that are common for hunting?

Also would Desert Eagle in 50AE be a no go?

8mm Mauser?

IMO, He's old school country. No 58# pound looking rifles. I'd bet a wood stock model 70 in 458 Winchester would pass the eye test.

There's a cattle gate going into the place. No cattle in the range area. Least no cow $hit laying about. The pasture before the gate has cattle.

For all this guy knows. We're a bunch of idiots that's gonna send bullets over the berm or above the tree line.

It's a nice place. They also do hunts. TGT treats this right, we might get membership prices on hunts?

Shiny Top is basic. Basic is fun.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    No .338 or .50 cal. No ultra long range types. .45-70, handguns and similar ok. Basically, typical hunting rifles are as big as we go. I mentioned .338 lapua and .50 cal and his response was we would be shooting cars on Interstate 35.
    And there are cows. Usually have to walk around the cow shit on the rifle range. Sometimes feeding right by the cook shack.
    .44 magnum pistol is ok.
    Unless I can talk him to more when I see him face to face, that is where it stands now. I'll post more details tomorrow

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It's strange to see those caliber restrictions because I've shot my 45-70 there with no issues. Granted they didn't know I had one and I didn't know it was a "rule" but it's an extremely laid back ranch and Doc is a great guy.
    .45-70 is ok. Doc is a laid back guy. Old fashioned too. To him, .50 cals and similar are only needed for shooting miles. Sight in for 75 yards is fine for Texas. A little behind in what long range calibers are and how they work these days but a really nice guy.
    Hopefully tomorrow I can talk him into a few concessions. Whatever he says, I will let you know.
    IMO, He's old school country. No 58# pound looking rifles. I'd bet a wood stock model 70 in 458 Winchester would pass the eye test.

There's a cattle gate going into the place. No cattle in the range area. Least no cow $hit laying about. The pasture before the gate has cattle.

For all this guy knows. We're a bunch of idiots that's gonna send bullets over the berm or above the tree line.

It's a nice place. They also do hunts. TGT treats this right, we might get membership prices on hunts?

Shiny Top is basic. Basic is fun.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'd say his limits are reasonable given his current set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom