• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The biggest appeal I have for shiny top is it seems like a great place for hanging out and BSing which is a very large part of what goes on at the meet.

The biggest draw back is the rifle range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Doc, the owner of Shiny Top, is a friend of mine. I will be going out to talk to him about what arrangements we can make to be able to the things everyone wants. But I am not off until tuesday. No final decision has been made.
    TSSR does look good as well. I know they don't allow steel core on steel targets, but would the allow it on paper? And I may have missed it but will they allow full auto?
    One thing about Shiny Top. The cook shack is about 150 yards from the rifle range. But it has enough room to organize lunch activities.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Is that close or further from the pistol range.

My understanding is that getting to the rifle range is an off road adventure.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Not really, its about 100 yards away on a dirt road. Yes, if it rains I would recommend AWD or 4WD but you could indeed walk there if you wanted to. It would be a bit rough in the heat but still plausible. The road isn't that bad though, any vehicle that doesn't sit low can make it. Jrb's little pontiac can make it and my wife's VW Passat makes it fine. Trucks have 0 problems so if you have an SUV or truck you are fine.

I'd say the biggest drawback of Shiny Top is as you said, the range for the rifle side. But if BSing is what goes on more than shooting than Shiny Top might be a better choice. Still plenty of room to shoot, just nothing well developed on the rifle side of things. The pistol side has picnic tables and a nice covered area and the cooking area is covered and plenty of areas to sit. Also, they have a skeet range if anyone likes skeet.

Another thing is that Doc and JR are pretty good guys. They are relaxed and don't bother anyone. So unless someone acts a fool, you won't have any range nazis or someone constantly watching you.

Would be easy to get a BBQ going before the party starts too. By the time lunch time hits, we could have meat and sides ready to go.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If it rains, it can be. The road is one thing I will talk to him about. The list of discusiion items,
    Road
    Full auto
    Shade
    Large caliber and magnum rifle
    Pota potty on the rifle range as well as the one by the cook shack.
    More tables
    Full auto
    Things that go BOOM! Us younger kids can't have too much fun.
    Price for a large group.
    If you think of anything else, let me know

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Shiny Top and TSSR are both viable options at this point. We are still trying to work out the details for both of these locations. Big hats off to Jeremy and Jimmy for stepping up and leading the charge. We still have a faint hope of a private land spot, which if we can't materialize now we can begin thoughts towards April. All in all, I am very optimistic about the future of our meet.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    If Shiny Top becomes our choice, I can help Jimmy since I am right next door to the place (practically). The best way to envision the rifle range road is driving up a dirt road on hunting grounds with trees and a wire fence on the sides. It opens up to a wide field as you get to the rifle range.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I really think shade and tables will be something easy for us to provide for ourselves. I'm sure several of us have the EZups. I have one and a few camp chairs. I think Full Auto and HE are going to be a big deciding factor, we know TSSR will not allow either.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Is that close or further from the pistol range.

My understanding is that getting to the rifle range is an off road adventure.

The pistol range is about the distance from the cook shack as the rifle range from the office at Hicksville. The rifle range is about quite a bit farther away. Google maps satellite view shows the layout.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I can go take some pics today and let JRB fill in the details on Tuesday, I can do a full range report like I did on TSSR, or I can let JRB do it all on tuesday. What do y'all think?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Jeremy, give me a call. I if I don't answer, give me a call at work 699-1021, as for sporting goods. Or stop by on the way.

from an idgit coffeeholic

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    See how many pits they have while you are there. Would be a good indication of how much food we can cook, I can't remember how many they have. I could always go out there too though I suppose.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Worst comes to worst, if I end up going, I can bring my own too. If you need anything while out there send me a text, ill be home.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok, I went out to Shiny Top and got some pics. I didn't talk to them a whole lot because JRB wants to, so lets see what he gets out of his talk with them on Tuesday.

-Rifle Range

0813161511a_zps7b1g2wr4.jpg

Parking area for the rifle range
    0813161510a_zpsxwv0rwt1.jpg

-The pistol range
    0813161520_zpsbjj0n1ed.jpg

0813161521_HDR_zps6cxaywha.jpg

-The skeet area
    0813161506_zpsjiknzqrv.jpg

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The main seating area is REALLY nice. They have all the amenities we need for food, they have music playing, it's unique and it's perfect for socializing. They're even willing to help with the food prep/cooking. They make a great pulled pork sandwich and can offer it during our shoot
    0813161504a_zpsvejixusx.jpg

0813161504b_zpste4xt7hu.jpg

0813161505_zpstqiqnifs.jpg

0813161505a_zpse5bn4qh1.jpg

0813161507_zpsw3tx1twy.jpg

0813161507b_zpsifvghgvo.jpg

-They have bunkhouses. It's literally just a little house with a window a/c unit and bunks - bring your own pillows. But, overnighters are welcome to sleep there. No plumbing.

Top Bottom