Target Sports

Houston Gun Collectors Association Show at Relaint this weekend.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So how was the show? If you're close (<1 hr) then I can see making the trip; but we drove the 3+ hr journey a few years back to my great disappointment. Parking was ridiculous ($10 or $15, if I remember correctly) and there was a heckuva line to get in (this during a non-panic period). There were no real deals that I couldn't find at the local gun shows here in SA, I ended up buying a Mosin 91/30 for $99 out the door which was the going price those days (my first of many Mosins). I didn't want to have driven for over six hours without getting something!

With how local shows have been going, there's no way I would make that trip now. Heck, I won't even make it up to the new show north of Austin despite being a big fan of the same show here in SA. Some days I even wonder why I go to the SAXET show here, but then realize it's for the great folks who are there...

Cheers! M2

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Any side by sides? I love double barrel coach guns lol

There's one but it's a cheap POS. I'll put up a photo of that tomorrow afternoon, too.

Jakashh,

As promised.

shotguns_zps83039ad2.jpg

No double-barrel. I think I gave it to the kid who used to mow my grass when he graduated high school. Anyway, it's no longer in the closet.

The Win M37A on top was the first firearm I bought with my own money just because I had turned 18 and I could. I was broke, so a working shotgun for under $40 from the local Oshman's seemed like a good deal. I'd also been reading Mel Tappan too much.

The bottom three guns, top to bottom, are a cheap import bearing only importer marks and two Winchester Defenders. All three just appeared one day after my mom had been out visiting garage sales.

She also once bought an old Mossberg pump that was rusted to a state of immobility (it looked like it had been buried for years) and asked me if it was worth anything. "Gunsmith training, maybe" was my answer. Her reply was "Oh, well, I thought it was worth a try for $20. No big loss." I don't remember how I got rid of that one but I know I did.

I know I said "a half dozen" but it looks like I only have evidence of 5 shotguns she bought at garage sales or other odd places. Still, the principle stands; she never passed up a chance at a potential gun bargain. For example, she never did tell me where she got my Colt .32 snubby; she just handed it to me and said "Enjoy." I pressed her for details and she asked me "Would it be worth $100?" I said it would. She replied "Well, then I did OK", smirked at me, and walked away. That smirk usually meant she did better than she would admit. Smart, smart lady.

Now...the stuff I'm reticent to say.

I posted the picture because I promised to do so. However, I apologize for this but I just don't want to sell or trade any of them. The 37A is sentimental because it was my first. The bottom three were left behind by my mom and she's only recently gone; I have yet to be able to spend more than 5 minutes at a time in her bedroom. I guess I'm just not ready to let go of the stuff she left behind.

When I am ready to let go, I'll PM you. Promise. I hope you understand.

Ben

PS - I hope you found something to meet your needs at the show. How was it?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    FYI, the show is big. I went through all of the tables and there was not anything that seemed like a bargain. I saw bricks of .22 for $55.00, terrible but better than 2 weeks ago. I looked at a Tavor, but they wanted $2799.00, too bad because I would have paid MSRP if they had one for that price. There are a lot of people walking around with rifles for sale thinking panic pricing still exists. They had a SCAR 17S for $2699.00 so they must must have calmed down a bit. Lots of pistols, but the desirable ones were still marked up. I was looking for a Sig Mark 25, but they wanted $1095.00 and my LGS has them for $995.00. Lots of black MSR's available. Not as many AK's as I would have expected to see. This show had the most tables that I have seen in some time, much bigger than recent GRB shows.
    At 10:30 they were very crowded, but no line to enter.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I enjoyed the gun show yesterday, first one I have been to in many years.
    Ammo was OUTRAGEOUS, lol.
    Thanks to Glockster69 for leading the way, & good to see you there too Sugarland.

Happy Birthday today to Sugarland & an early one to Glockster69!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Maybe not a direct contradiction to the above comment, but there were fewer tables being used than at most HGCA shows, but still more than the GRB shows. The show was real slow. Folks at the door said the rush only lasted 10 minutes in the morning, unlike the hour+ one a few months back. Vendors complained about 'gun show saturation' and how lite the crowd was, and not in a buying mode. You could easily walk the aisles without turning sideways to squeeze through the crowd, don't think I did that once yesterday. Surprised to only see 4-5 people total around AJC's table island in the back. Fewest I have ever seen for them, but it was a bit late by then.

Saw a few respectable deals, but did not bring anything home of any significance. Plenty of stuff to buy, but at still elevated prices. Saw an abundance of M1 Carbines for some reason, over what I normally see at this show. Buddy did get a National Postal Meter M1 Carbine for $600 that walked in the door. I saw Tavors mentioned above at 3-4 tables. Must have started to get a good supply from the distributor on those. Plenty of the Kel-Tec KSG shotguns around. Did not see but a few CZs, and the guy that normally has a few of their shotguns and rifles was not there. Racks of Mosins and other mil surplus as you would expect at this show.

Number of vet authors there to sign their books.

T R Graham was there working on Glocks.

Ed Vandenberg was there showing off his work and wares.

John Dixon was there working on 1911's

SOG Armory was not getting a lot of business but had a nice display.

Fountain Firearms was there with stuff from their store, priced for max profit.

Art with Republic Arms was in his normal place by the front door.

The older gentleman that is an officer with the HGCA and has the big book business was doing ok, talked to him for a bit.

Texas Tactical has gotten their supply back up and was able to snag a ambi safety I need from them.

The 'Clip' guy seems to have dropped some of the prices back down, not pre-panic, but getting there.

Got some scales from the knife gentleman that is always there with 8 or so tables.

Kangroo Carry booth set up, no one there and no product. Guess he went home early.

Did not see the big Houston Armory set up, did I miss it??

Good Show for the most part.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    It was a pretty good show. Picked up a few odds and ends. Still way to early to buy common ammo. I saw a box of 525 Federal .22 for $175.00. And I thought I paid a lot in Hicksville...LOL I did find a real good deal on some 460 and 500 mag. About 1/2 off of what I pay at LGS. It was good to hang out with Cam and Glockster. That was the best part of the show.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    It was a pretty good show. Picked up a few odds and ends. Still way to early to buy common ammo. I saw a box of 525 Federal .22 for $175.00. And I thought I paid a lot in Hicksville...LOL I did find a real good deal on some 460 and 500 mag. About 1/2 off of what I pay at LGS. It was good to hang out with Cam and Glockster. That was the best part of the show.

Didn't see any of yall. I was walking around open carrying my .44 on my hip with a sign on my back and chest that said "Ruger Redhawk for sale" lol. Definitely was a big attention grabber. But I have an 870 now for the next clay shoot.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    We were there from 12 - 5P on Saturday and the "crowd" was non existent which is surprising for an HGCA show in my experience. Ammo prices were still stupid. I was about to buy some handgun ammo at pre scare prices, turns out the guy had filled ammo boxes with just the cases and was asking cartridge prices for them.

I did come away with a MSR15 break down tool for only $5. I was offered $10 and $15 from other people while walking around with it. lol

Also bought a Westernfield 20ga pump. Not sure if I made the best of deals but - it is what it is. LoL

I enjoyed the gun show yesterday, first one I have been to in many years.
    Ammo was OUTRAGEOUS, lol.
    Thanks to Glockster69 for leading the way, & good to see you there too Sugarland.

Happy Birthday today to Sugarland & an early one to Glockster69!
    Thanks Cam. And IF I didn't say it when you left, thanks for buying dinner. That was a pleasant surprise.

Donated to a worthy cause. Don't forget that part.

Yea, just chillin with Cam and Sugar was good, but there was very little eye candy at the show. :(

Last edited:

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    but there was very little eye candy at the show. :(

Yeah, I expect someone who likes glocks to say that lol

No love for the milsurps, 1897 shotguns, tons of M1 carbines, M1A's, M14's, AK's, SVD's, HK91's, HK G3's, FAL's, AKM's, 1903's, Mosin Nagant's, Enfields, Mausers, lever guns, single action COLTS, 1911's, and other guns there lol?

What about the browning 1919 or the MG42 mounted at the front?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Hmmm, seems we may be talking about completely different types of eye candy ... you little Jihadist. I meant the fairer form. :cool:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    We were there from 12 - 5P on Saturday and the "crowd" was non existent which is surprising for an HGCA show in my experience. Ammo prices were still stupid. I was about to buy some handgun ammo at pre scare prices, turns out the guy had filled ammo boxes with just the cases and was asking cartridge prices for them.

I did come away with a MSR15 break down tool for only $5. I was offered $10 and $15 from other people while walking around with it. lol

Also bought a Westernfield 20ga pump. Not sure if I made the best of deals but - it is what it is. LoL

Thanks Cam. And IF I didn't say it when you left, thanks for buying dinner. That was a pleasant surprise.

Donated to a worthy cause. Don't forget that part.

Yea, just chillin with Cam and Sugar was good, but there was very little eye candy at the show. :(

Turns out that was made by Mossberg, for sale by one of the large box stores.
    Yep, best part definitely was the company!

Top Bottom