APOD Firearms

How much spare ammo is enough to have on you for your "emergency life saving tool"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktaylor966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2020
    DFW
    For those who do carry such a 'tool' these comments by Massad Ayoob, gun guru, author, instructor and all-around good guy' provides some food for thought. While I have heard/read how few rounds are fired in a civilian gun fight having a spare mag in case of malfunction and/or drop by accident seems like a good idea.

Years ago I took a basic pistol training course with Massad and was very impressed with his depth and breath of knowledge related to firearms.
    As a cop on duty I have two spare 17-rd magazines for my issued Glock 45, 9mm. I carry one extra loaded mag in my duffle bag and I have an AR-15 with two, loaded 30- rd magazines in my cruiser.
    When OFF duty, I carry a Glock 48 on my person and 75% of the time I carry no extra magazine. The 25% of the time that I do, it’s in the evening or if I am traveling overnight for pleasure, etc.
    In my personal vehicle I have two extra pistols, one which is always in my console (a Hellcat) and in a go bag stuffed behind my rear truck seat (a Sig p239).
    Having said that, as a civilian and for EDC, you may feel you need an extra magazine though I feel there’s better chance than not that you won’t need one. The key is Situational awareness and AVOID trouble. My MOUTH and friendly demeanor has kept me from pulling the trigger more times than you can imagine. Your Mouth is an defective weapon at avoiding conflicts. Be respectful and speak calmly. It’s avoids problems. The ONLY time anyone hear will ever need their pistol is if being attacked by someone with a weapon. DO NOT look for trouble, DO NOT try being a hero or crusader. DO go about your daily lives normally and avoid bad areas of town, leaving those areas to the Police.
    *** A shooting will change your life forever (both emotionally and FINANCIALLY) and there’s no reset button.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    As a cop on duty I have two spare 17-rd magazines for my issued Glock 45, 9mm. I carry one extra loaded mag in my duffle bag and I have an AR-15 with two, loaded 30- rd magazines in my cruiser.
    When OFF duty, I carry a Glock 48 on my person and 75% of the time I carry no extra magazine. The 25% of the time that I do, it’s in the evening or if I am traveling overnight for pleasure, etc.
    In my personal vehicle I have two extra pistols, one which is always in my console (a Hellcat) and in a go bag stuffed behind my rear truck seat (a Sig p239).
    Having said that, as a civilian and for EDC, you may feel you need an extra magazine though I feel there’s better chance than not that you won’t need one. The key is Situational awareness and AVOID trouble. My MOUTH and friendly demeanor has kept me from pulling the trigger more times than you can imagine. Your Mouth is an defective weapon at avoiding conflicts. Be respectful and speak calmly. It’s avoids problems. The ONLY time anyone hear will ever need their pistol is if being attacked by someone with a weapon. DO NOT look for trouble, DO NOT try being a hero or crusader. DO go about your daily lives normally and avoid bad areas of town, leaving those areas to the Police.
    *** A shooting will change your life forever (both emotionally and FINANCIALLY) and there’s no reset button.
    No truer words brother amen

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Why would those things prompt you to carry an extra mag? Just curious.
    Yes Sir, to clarify, I have a priority to the items I carry. I believe the other items to be higher in priority than a spare magazine. The other items don’t prompt me to carry the magazine, but they get carried before I add a spare magazine.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yes Sir, to clarify, I have a priority to the items I carry. I believe the other items to be higher in priority than a spare magazine. The other items don’t prompt me to carry the magazine, but they get carried before I add a spare magazine.
    Well, I have those things in my car, but a less lethal option? While I do carry a knife, that's only if it makes it too difficult to use my gun. My priority is my life and the life of those around me. While I hope I never have to use my gun in self defense, I very much hope I don't use up a magazine and have to resort to a knife.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I agree with your sentiment on never having to use these things. With regard to less lethal I don’t consider a knife in that category, but rather something like a pepper spray.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I agree with your sentiment on never having to use these things. With regard to less lethal I don’t consider a knife in that category, but rather something like a pepper spray.
    You don't have to shoot unless you feel your life is in imminent danger, if a gun doesn't deter them, then pepper spray probably won't either. I'm not out to arrest or detain, I'm out to assure I survive.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    You don't have to shoot unless you feel your life is in imminent danger, if a gun doesn't deter them, then pepper spray probably won't either. I'm not out to arrest or detain, I'm out to assure I survive.
    Yes very true, a great point. If you don’t have a reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm, then you should not have your gun out in the first place.

The less lethal option I carry is for confronting less lethal threats where a reasonable person would not be justified in using lethal force.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yes very true, a great point. If you don’t have a reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm, then you should not have your gun out in the first place.

The less lethal option I carry is for confronting less lethal threats where a reasonable person would not be justified in using lethal force.

You should review TPC Chapter 9. Your beliefs and the state’s beliefs may very well differ.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Describe a less lethal threat? I'm not going to fight someone while carrying. I'll walk away from a goading. Insults I'll get over, but a club can kill me, therefore, you better believe I'm pulling my gun.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Describe a less lethal threat? I'm not going to fight someone while carrying. I'll walk away from a goading. Insults I'll get over, but a club can kill me, therefore, you better believe I'm pulling my gun.
    Great counter points, I too agree that it is best to avoid fights and that insults are no big deal.

A less lethal threat could be an unarmed assailant who is the same size or smaller than you, or a female, or a minor, or who you believe has much less hand to hand skill than you. The use of your gun would not be proportionate to their unarmed attack upon you. I would consider a club a lethal threat if I had a reasonable fear that it was going to be used against my head, neck, or throat by a person with enough strength to cause great bodily harm or death.

Also, to prevent us from taking this thread too far off topic, I’m willing to give you the last word and concede that my rationale for carrying a less lethal may not make sense to someone else. I do thank you for the conversation though.

Top Bottom