Guns International

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    Relocations from other states should require a visa and probationary period before being granted residency and voting rights. Too many complaints about their good ole way of doing things in their former state should result in one being expelled from Texas.
    Ya I’m 1,000% in. I’ll even supply a truck and dump trailer for the relocation of the expelled.
    Military Camp

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    That freaking gun…I’m stuck for life with it. When I got it I looked past the stupid grip zone. It’s so unpopular and it shoots great.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    That freaking gun…I’m stuck for life with it. When I got it I looked past the stupid grip zone. It’s so unpopular and it shoots great.
    Get out of my head. I have an xd mod2 sub compact that shoots great. Even beat a buddy and his coveted beretta 92 on a dueling tree. It's tan, blocky, and ugly, but damn it shoots. I figure I'm stuck with it too. May leave it at my parent's so they have something reliable that no one will ever see.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Get out of my head. I have an xd mod2 sub compact that shoots great. Even beat a buddy and his coveted beretta 92 on a dueling tree. It's tan, blocky, and ugly, but damn it shoots. I figure I'm stuck with it too. May leave it at my parent's so they have something reliable that no one will ever see.
    Yup I have had this gun from 2016 I think; before I moved to Texas.

Something that’s still thread related but I will mix up what I carry. Not that often.

My lawn mower/pasture gun is a gen 3 glock 17. My other iwb is a sig 229 in .40 Sissy Wussy. But overall I do better with striker fired.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I still think SA should fire the grip zone designer.
    It’s a head scratcher for marketing. It’s so stupid it’s not worth wasting our brain cells wondering why.

I got it when I had my p320 compact. Yup definitely 2016. I was up in the mountains and the pos sig choked on ball ammo.

Now, being the rational guy I am, I drove back down all 20 plus miles at 12 to the gallon just to trade that whore. Some would say well hell dude why not send it off to sig? And to that I say because…grip zone man…grip zone…

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    To reply to the OP, not as often as I should.

This thread inspired me to head over to the range. Like lots of folks, I'm occasionally in the bad habit of dropping a J-frame into the cargo pocket of my pants and calling myself armed. It's better than nothing, I suppose.

So I rooted around and found my worst J-frame, a 317 with a very heavy, uneven trigger and those miserable little sights. I threw it in a bag, grabbed some CCI, and headed to the range. I didn't bring my prescription shooting glasses so the sights were basically fuzzy blobs.

On the range, I set up a sorta-B27 target and shot it at 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards. Without a warm-up, I fired 5 shots, single action, to the head at each distance. I fired 5 shots double action, shooting sorta quickly, to the torso at 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards. Then I finished up with 35 shots, double action, not taking my time, to the torso at 15 yards. (OK, if anybody wants to double-check me, those round counts are from memory. :))

As far as I'm concerned, this is terrible. One shot over the head. One shot in the 7 zone. More than one outside the 9.

Yes, I can do better with pretty much any other handgun but I wanted to see my worst. This was a damnably sobering cold test.

I need a lot more dry fire and range time.

View attachment 338168
    More than good enough to stop the threat.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    For years I held the slide and let the lower reciprocate. It made more sense to hold the barrel still for more accurate shots. Boy did I feel like a rube when I saw the grip zone and realized I had been doing it wrong for years. Had my ol lady tattoo smash zone. I have a daughter now.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    For years I held the slide and let the lower reciprocate. It made more sense to hold the barrel still for more accurate shots. Boy did I feel like a ruse when I saw the grip zone and realized I had been doing it wrong for years. Had my ol lady tattoo squash zone. I have a daughter now.
    At the range I sometimes see people who have difficulty deciding which end of the gun should be pointed downrange

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    For years I held the slide and let the lower reciprocate. It made more sense to hold the barrel still for more accurate shots. Boy did I feel like a rube when I saw the grip zone and realized I had been doing it wrong for years. Had my ol lady tattoo smash zone. I have a daughter now.
    I just held the grip. Someone told me I had to pull the trigger. Morons for not marking it trigger zone.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    At the range I sometimes see people who have difficulty deciding which end of the gun should be pointed downrange
    I tried telling people to point the barrel at their own head. For some reason I’m banned from the liberal gun club. Joking! Definitely kidding just in case any of you Karen’s out there don’t understand.

Top Bottom