Lynx Defense

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    To reply to the OP, not as often as I should.

This thread inspired me to head over to the range. Like lots of folks, I'm occasionally in the bad habit of dropping a J-frame into the cargo pocket of my pants and calling myself armed. It's better than nothing, I suppose.

So I rooted around and found my worst J-frame, a 317 with a very heavy, uneven trigger and those miserable little sights. I threw it in a bag, grabbed some CCI, and headed to the range. I didn't bring my prescription shooting glasses so the sights were basically fuzzy blobs.

On the range, I set up a sorta-B27 target and shot it at 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards. Without a warm-up, I fired 5 shots, single action, to the head at each distance. I fired 5 shots double action, shooting sorta quickly, to the torso at 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards. Then I finished up with 35 shots, double action, not taking my time, to the torso at 15 yards. (OK, if anybody wants to double-check me, those round counts are from memory. :))

As far as I'm concerned, this is terrible. One shot over the head. One shot in the 7 zone. More than one outside the 9.

Yes, I can do better with pretty much any other handgun but I wanted to see my worst. This was a damnably sobering cold test.

I need a lot more dry fire and range time.

target.jpeg
    ARJ Defense ad

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX

This thread inspired me to head over to the range. Like lots of folks, I'm occasionally in the bad habit of dropping a J-frame into the cargo pocket of my pants and calling myself armed. It's better than nothing, I suppose.

So I rooted around and found my worst J-frame, a 317 with a very heavy, uneven trigger and those miserable little sights. I threw it in a bag, grabbed some CCI, and headed to the range. I didn't bring my prescription shooting glasses so the sights were basically fuzzy blobs.

On the range, I set up a sorta-B27 target and shot it at 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards. Without a warm-up, I fired 5 shots, single action, to the head at each distance. I fired 5 shots double action, shooting sorta quickly, to the torso at 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards. Then I finished up with 35 shots, double action, not taking my time, to the torso at 15 yards. (OK, if anybody wants to double-check me, those round counts are from memory. :))

As far as I'm concerned, this is terrible. One shot over the head. One shot in the 7 zone. More than one outside the 9.

Yes, I can do better with pretty much any other handgun but I wanted to see my worst. This was a damnably sobering cold test.

View attachment 338168
    You still did better than most, all while being blind and bad equipment. Nothing to sneeze at.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

View attachment 338168

Not bad considering...

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    To the original intent of the post - I used to do it around every other week or so. In the last year - maybe ever other month. For the LTC sub-thread, holy cow. I had only started seriously shooting for a couple of weeks. BigPapiGreg (?)(where the heck is that guy) showed up at my qualifying range where I traded shelving units for a box of .45 ACP. Shot a Colt 1911 Gold Cup for my LTC from evil Bob (where the heck is that guy- and he's in my neighborhood?) Range officer guy basically said "nice gun, and you suck". I'd really like to do it again now that I shoot better.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Speaking of that goofball, whatever happened to that sumbitch?

He disappeared for years, then resurfaced for a little bit, then poof, gone.

I remember reading his posts in real time back 20 years ago. He was the standard bearer as far as tacticool trolls, he never got mad when others would light him up with their posts. Of course there have been many others tacticool, Taran Butler types, just not quite as infamous.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    He disappeared for years, then resurfaced for a little bit, then poof, gone.

I remember reading his posts in real time back 20 years ago. He was the standard bearer as far as tacticool trolls, he never got mad when others would light him up with their posts. Of course there have been many others tacticool, Taran Butler types, just not quite as infamous.
    Gecko45 will always be "the" original mall ninja tactical troll of our time! His exploits were legendary!

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    These are excellent suggestions, though I feel NODs might price some people out of the LTC exam if included so I'm on the fence... leaning towards including though.
    Troll

OP argues that licensing should be eliminated, and then CONSTANTLY posts additional messages about adding requirements FOR the LTC.

Troll.

I'm out.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Commiefornia is strong with the OP! I guess he doesn't enjoy his new found freedom as much as he crowed about when he joined the forum!

At least we found out he's really a FUDD!
    Relocations from other states should require a visa and probationary period before being granted residency and voting rights. Too many complaints about their good ole way of doing things in their former state should result in one being expelled from Texas.

Top Bottom