How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I agree with that.

Beyond "permitting" or "licensing" though, I think in general a good level of physical fitness is a good idea in any fight. Yeah the state can't "require" it, but if you're pushing 280 pounds, can't walk very far without pain or running out of breath, high blood pressure, I think it's hard for people to say they are prepared for a real fight.

I'm not an elitist either when it comes to "gear" or being a Navy SEAL looking guy, but I'm just talking the basics.

Do you own an AR15? Can you hit a steel plate at 150-200 yards with irons?
    Can you run 1-2 miles without stopping at a decent pace?
    Can you ruck 50 pounds for 5 miles?

I did a carbine course in Clarksville, Tennessee a couple of years ago, before COVID. It was taught by former CAG, and other team guys. $725 for 2 days and about 800-1000 rounds of ammo. There was a guy who flew all the way out there from Montana and he looked like a gravy biscuit with mash potatoes. The instructor basically told him he couldn't run the course, they would refund him. They let him know he was done for that day, and he would be a danger to himself and the other students if they let him do the course.

I remember feeling really bad for the guy, and felt the CAG guys had treated him harshly.

But after running the course, I knew why they sent him home. He just wasn't ready.
    Not all citizens can or want to be tacticool operators. :rolleyes:

I can't run very far without pain. But I don't intend to run far in any situation that requires me to draw. If I am far enough away, I will be ducking behind cover. If I am not, I will be at a distance that I will be shooting, not running.

If I have a rifle on me, I sure as heck ain't running. The rifle will do the "reach out and touch".

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Only thing I can probably answer "yes" to, is ownership of an AR.

I'm not even saying I'm in the best shape anymore. I'm in my 40s, I got kids now, and I have pain in my left ankle and knee from many years of grappling (Judo/BJJ), and I know for sure my eyes aren't as good as they were when I was 20.

But a lot of people are so willing to spend $3,000 on the newest toy and optic, or whatever, but I doubt many people will even make the effort to get on a treadmill for an hour ... 3x a week. We're talking 3 hours out of 168 hours available in a week to maintain or get into better shape. I'm not even going to get into the topic of weight training, that's another thing people neglect in their later years.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Not all citizens can or want to be tacticool operators. :rolleyes:

I can't run very far without pain. But I don't intend to run far in any situation that requires me to draw. If I am far enough away, I will be ducking behind cover. If I am not, I will be at a distance that I will be shooting, not running.

If I have a rifle on me, I sure as heck ain't running. The rifle will do the "reach out and touch".

Is being able to run a mile really tacticool? :laughing:
    What about dropping a magazine, and inserting a loaded one when the slide locks back in a smooth manner without too many hitches? To me that's basic. Very very basic.

But then again, we live in a world where gun guys can buy a SCAR-17, and run out of breath tying their own shoes. So maybe I'm the weird one out.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm not even saying I'm in the best shape anymore. I'm in my 40s, I got kids now, and I have pain in my left ankle and knee from many years of grappling (Judo/BJJ), and I know for sure my eyes aren't as good as they were when I was 20.

But a lot of people are so willing to spend $3,000 on the newest toy and optic, or whatever, but I doubt many people will even make the effort to get on a treadmill for an hour ... 3x a week. We're talking 3 hours out of 168 hours available in a week to maintain or get into better shape. I'm not even going to get into the topic of weight training, that's another thing people neglect in their later years.
    You are correct.

I'm 64, with bad knees.

Everybody knows they should exercise, but many, like me, don't.

ETA: I'm a recliner operator.
    :green:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    ..shall not be infringed.

Having government impose more requirements, restrictions on gun rights, including concealed carry, is an abomination.

If anything, we need far LESS. And adding more "requirements" to concealed carry is just plain bullshit. It ain't a driver's license. Because driving is a privilege, and owning firearms is a God-Given right.
    I'd say none is few...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Beyond "permitting" or "licensing" though, I think in general a good level of physical fitness is a good idea in any fight. Yeah the state can't "require" it, but if you're pushing 280 pounds, can't walk very far without pain or running out of breath, high blood pressure, I think it's hard for people to say they are prepared for a real fight.
    Eh…I agree with you fitness is important. I say eh because the concept of an ltc is making good choices. It’s not a tactical achievement or a martial art.

But I’d say this is an opinion you might keep to yourself. I say that respectfully and to help ground you being you said you did bjj.

A lot of folks work physical jobs. I mean I thought even when I was in shape and strong; there’s guys that don’t look it that move concrete bags all day. Actually a perfect example would be an old friend I worked with at a food plant. Guy was 6’ and 350-380lbs. He was a chubster. But I’m gonna tell ya…he could for a short distance move like a linebacker and strong as a gorilla. I never told anyone this but I don’t work there anymore so whatever. We had a early 20’s punk working there. Had inspiration to be a cage fighter. Would not let up on big man. One night I gave him permission that if the guy ever tries to touch him I didn’t see shit. So one night big man’s trying to work. Little man is trying to be goofy but square off. Big man picks em up and folds him in half and throws him outside. Hilarious if you ask me.

But my rambling point is it’s an ltc. People of all ages and sizes are more capable than we think and you should remember that from bjj. Plenty of old guys out there can take both of us.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    You are correct.

I'm 64, with bad knees.

Everybody knows they should exercise, but many, like me, don't.

ETA: I'm a recliner operator.
    :green:

Bad knees is a big obstacle (I know personally).

Instead of running, walking at a brisk pace can sometimes be better than running, especially on the joints.

Another thing I've recently gotten into is stationary bike and ellipticals. Almost zero load on your knees compared to running/walking, and really good cardio workout after an hour!

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Sorry, that is a leftist Jedi Mind-Trick in comparing vehicle licenses to owning and carrying a gun.

Again, car, fork lift licenses are mere privileges. Owning and operating a firearm is a God-Given right.
    Is he pushing licenses? I dont see where he is.

I'd love for the state to drop all classroom and proficiency tests for a LTC. File a set of prints and ID for your background check and here is your license. Then include a certificate for free Use of Force law class and a shooting class...

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Eh…I agree with you fitness is important. I say eh because the concept of an ltc is making good choices. It’s not a tactical achievement or a martial art.

But I’d say this is an opinion you might keep to yourself. I say that respectfully and to help ground you being you said you did bjj.

A lot of folks work physical jobs. I mean I thought even when I was in shape and strong; there’s guys that don’t look it that move concrete bags all day. Actually a perfect example would be an old friend I worked with at a food plant. Guy was 6’ and 350-380lbs. He was a chubster. But I’m gonna tell ya…he could for a short distance move like a linebacker and strong as a gorilla. I never told anyone this but I don’t work there anymore so whatever. We had a early 20’s punk working there. Had inspiration to be a cage fighter. Would not let up on big man. One night I gave him permission that if the guy ever tries to touch him I didn’t see shit. So one night big man’s trying to work. Little man is trying to be goofy but square off. Big man picks em up and folds him in half and throws him outside. Hilarious if you ask me.

But my rambling point is it’s an ltc. People of all ages and sizes are more capable than we think.

I'm not bringing up fitness to make people feel bad or say it should be an LTC requirement, this is more "water cooler" talk now since I think the LTC subject got old. :laughing:

Your friend is definitely a beast, I mean any guy who loads concrete for a living is probably exceptionally strong, and dangerous in short burst.

But when people get close to 400 pounds, I worry about the other stuff; like their blood pressure, LDL/HDL numbers, glucose measurement, etc. You don't see a lot of guys over 60 years old weighing 380 pounds, and there's a reason for that. It's really, really bad for your health.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Yes, that's the reality (really).

I'm talking about the guys who are all "No iNfRiNGeMeNtS, GoD giVeN riGhT!!!"

If you're in that camp, then the license thing is inherently an infringement. You can't have it both ways.
    You are right and a license is an infringement.

While we do and should push back on it and all infringements, it is relatively minor and mostly set up to allow us to have less infringement via the 4473 bypass.

Hence why the state made the LTC as low cost as possible and included a shooting proficiency test to also give holders reciprocity in other states.

The LTC is really a by-product of other infringements and is not an infringement in and of it self.

Not every hill is worth fighting and dying on. LTC, NFA those are in the "not worth it" or "not worth it yet" group i.e. the cost of complying to infringement is lower, and tolerable for now compared to getting 10y in Club Fed...

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Is he pushing licenses? I dont see where he is.

I'd love for the state to drop all classroom and proficiency tests for a LTC. File a set of prints and ID for your background check and here is your license. Then include a certificate for free Use of Force law class and a shooting class...

OP started this whole shîtshow with the premise that the shooting portion of the CA LTC is somehow better than the Texas LTC because it’s proves somebody is a “gunner”.

Then it devolved and OP said he wanted to have a real conversation on what should be included in the Texas shooting yet never really had anything to say other than to move the goalposts.

Then it changed directions to plate carriers and now it’s back to something like training is a good thing and everybody needs to chuck a $1000 to some tactical games weekend just to call themselves worthy of being a 2A supporter.

By the time you read this, it’ll change again.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    OP started this whole shîtshow with the premise that the shooting portion of the CA LTC is somehow better than the Texas LTC because it’s proves somebody is a “gunner”.

Then it devolved and OP said he wanted to have a real conversation on what should be included in the Texas shooting yet never really had anything to say other than to move the goalposts.

Then it changed directions to plate carriers and now it’s back to something like training is a good thing and everybody needs to chuck a $1000 to some tactical games weekend just to call themselves worthy of being a 2A supporter.

By the time you read this, it’ll change again.
    It seems to be a very fluid conversion...

:)

Top Bottom