Hurley's Gold

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    in 2020 not at all.. in 2021 about 3 times that year. This year. Once a month at least.

2015-2019 I was shooting weekly.

About the LTC class. My class had a hundred people in it. The first group of people delayed us by an hour because one guy almost tore his thumb off with the slide. He held the pistol in a way that when the gun fired the slide went straight into his thumb. An ambulance had to come and get him there was blood everywhere.
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The first group of people delayed us by an hour because one guy almost tore his thumb off with the slide. He held the pistol in a way that when the gun fired the slide went straight into his thumb. An ambulance
    One of my classes included documentation where an LAPD officer did exactly that, cutting nerves in the thumb and rendering it useless. He was considered, for the job of a police officer, to be 100% disabled and got an early retirement out of the incident.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    in 2020 not at all.. in 2021 about 3 times that year. This year. Once a month at least.

2015-2019 I was shooting weekly.

About the LTC class. My class had a hundred people in it. The first group of people delayed us by an hour because one guy almost tore his thumb off with the slide. He held the pistol in a way that when the gun fired the slide went straight into his thumb. An ambulance had to come and get him there was blood everywhere.

I still need to setup a time to go to the range with you, I haven't forgotten, just been busy, and now school is starting with the kids. :boxing:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Why? In what percent of the incidents will a reload be required? The tiniest percentage?

All the percentages are tiny. What are the chances you'll be in a defensive gun encounter in your lifetime? What are the chances you will fire a shot? What are the chances you will have to reload? Heck why even practice drawing from a holster? :laughing:

I don't get the "tiny percentage" argument because the very concept of a defensive gun encounter is already winning the lottery, might as well be prepared to do a "very basic" task. If you practice drawing from a holster, you can practice reloading a mag.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I will agree on that one. A person should have an understanding of how a tool works.

It would be no different than tons of “guys” that drive a truck but can’t hook up to a trailer or drive safe with one. Got behind the wheel but didn’t grasp everything. How many times do I tow? A small percentage of time.

I will say though it’s in spirit of training and I would not make it a requirement to pass.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’d say just have em do drills and encourage em. What they do after that is up to them. Can’t force em.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I will agree on that one. A person should have an understanding of how a tool works.

It would be no different than tons of “guys” that drive a truck but can’t hook up to a trailer or drive safe with one. Got behind the wheel but didn’t grasp everything. How many times do I tow? A small percentage of time.

I will say though it’s in spirit of training and I would not make it a requirement to pass.

Yeah I wouldn't say "state" requirement, but if you have an aversion to practice "reloading", I think that's doing yourself a disservice to your skill set.

I practice everything, maybe I'm a nut; drawing and pointing, shooting from my hip after draw, malfunction clearing, shooting right hand AND left hand, how to charge my pistol with ONE hand, and of course reloading. :laughing:

I'm not some John Wick wannabe (though maybe....) but the way I see it, if you're in a defensive gun encounter, you're already in a worst case scenario, it's far better to be prepared as BEST as you can than say "Well, tiny percentages...".

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah I wouldn't say "state" requirement, but if you have an aversion to practice "reloading", I think that's doing yourself a disservice to your skill set.

I practice everything, maybe I'm a nut; drawing and pointing, shooting from my hip after draw, malfunction clearing, shooting right hand AND left hand, how to charge my pistol with ONE hand, and of course reloading. :laughing:

I'm not some John Wick wannabe (though maybe....) but the way I see it, if you're in a defensive gun encounter, you're already in a worst case scenario, it's far better to be prepared as BEST as you can than say "Well, tiny percentages...".
    Way I see it is more like this:

My reasons in this thread for being difficult is in the belief no regulations should oversee our rights.

So the word I like to use is encourage. An instructor is a teacher. So teach. When constitutional carry or permit less was being voted on, not just le but instructors got pissy. Naturally an assumption it will hurt business. This is an example of the gun industry being full of shit.

Money is still out there to be made. It’s teaching people skills. Now see where we are in this scenario? No requirements to use your rights. Instructors are still finding ways to improve shooters. People will still show up because they want to improve or they don’t wanna look like a jack ass. I believe permit less carry did not hurt marketing for instructors.

It’s like suppressors. If we deregulated them I would expect a massive sales spike. If not, I’d assume store managers are mentally handicapped and suck at marketing.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Way I see it is more like this:

My reasons in this thread for being difficult is in the belief no regulations should oversee our rights.

So the word I like to use is encourage. An instructor is a teacher. So teach. When constitutional carry or permit less was being voted on, not just le but instructors got pissy. Naturally an assumption it will hurt business. This is an example of the gun industry being full of shit.

Money is still out there to be made. It’s teaching people skills. Now see where we are in this scenario? No requirements to use your rights. Instructors are still finding ways to improve shooters. People will still show up because they want to improve or they don’t wanna look like a jack ass. I believe permit less carry did not hurt marketing for instructors.

It’s like suppressors. If we deregulated them I would expect a massive sales spike. If not, I’d assume store managers are mentally handicapped and suck at marketing.

I thought Texas tried to deregulate suppressors, or tried to. I remember reading about something like that a few months ago.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I practice every day. :green:

dh.gif

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Trying to seek a legal way around the batf aka the bank, is a useless attempt given how absurd they are. For negotiations to happen both parties need to be patriotic to some level. Plus I’m not sure how hard politicians really push the issue. I’d much rather have a governor and ag that literally tells the feds: go **** yourselves.

sqlsvrman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2017
    Bryan
    A passing score is 175+. If folks are shooting a semi-auto, they need to make sure it’s broke in before they use it to qualify. You don’t have time to clear a bunch of malfunctions. Plus you can practice the qualification test at a good indoor range as much as you need.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I definitely think they should be including reloads, not sure why it's not mandatory here.

25 yards sounds good too, we can call it the Dicken Standard. 10 shots at 40 yards, must score 8 hits. :laughing:
    There you are with that word again, and again, "mandatory". You are starting sound like an anal retentive FUDD in this thread.

Here's a novel idea, train however you want, and practice whatever makes you happy. And let others worry about what they feel is important.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    All the percentages are tiny. What are the chances you'll be in a defensive gun encounter in your lifetime? What are the chances you will fire a shot? What are the chances you will have to reload? Heck why even practice drawing from a holster? :laughing:

I don't get the "tiny percentage" argument because the very concept of a defensive gun encounter is already winning the lottery, might as well be prepared to do a "very basic" task. If you practice drawing from a holster, you can practice reloading a mag.
    I am referring to the rationale for it being included as part of the licensing.

Heck, why not require as part of licensing firing from behind barricades. Drawing and shooting. Rapid fire. Etc.

I would recommend that people do practice lots of things, including mag changes. But that should not be part of licensing.

Top Bottom