Lynx Defense

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Someone else commented on me mentioning the CA requirements (which included reloading a mag) and they said "It was a barrier and whoever thought it up was no friend of 2A" to which I disagreed
    I think you're talking about me but I didn't say exactly that. I agreed that reloading a mag is a useful skill. I merely pointed out that making it legally required meant that whoever put that requirement into the law was no friend of the 2A.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Can I see your plate carrier setup?
    I gotta dig it out of the shed. For now this is my pistol rated stuff in my closet. Black is a point blank.
    6EB49D12-9C82-41AA-B1B8-4C4A935304E2.jpeg

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    How often do you practice pistol shooting?

Reason I ask is because in my recent LTC class to get my LTC 100 documentation, in my group, out of 5 people, 3 failed to get the 275 points required on target. I passed with flying colors obviously, and a guy who was a vet in OEF was actually shooting next to my lane, passed as well. I felt like I wasn't even trying. Normally, I am shooting pistol about once a week, though since I moved to Texas, I'm only shooting about once a month (that will change very soon).

We both looked at each other as they were grading the other guy's targets and was surprised at how many misses these dudes were having. I mean, we're talking 50% of shots missed at 3,7, and 15 yards. :twin: One of them was shooting a Buckmark 22lr which I thought was a tack driver. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, DPS sent me an e-mail and said my application is moving forward, 45 days until my LTC is in the mail hopefully!
    Right now I can't spend money on ammo. And here in Austin there's no indoor ranges anywhere near the center of town. You have to drive a fair distance through the miserable traffic to even get to the nearest indoor range (which is not my favorite place to shoot). And for a decent rifle range it's an hour drive minimum.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Right now I can't spend money on ammo. And here in Austin there's no indoor ranges anywhere near the center of town. You have to drive a fair distance through the miserable traffic to even get to the nearest indoor range (which is not my favorite place to shoot). And for a decent rifle range it's an hour drive minimum.
    Have you tried The Range@Austin ?

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Lots of new gun owners in the last couple of years. It bewilders me hearing some of the things they say and think. Hollyweird and YouTube has given a lot of them the impression it ain’t that hard.

Thinking back to my first Texas concealed carry class, mid 90’s, we had to shoot, load mags, reload, demonstrate weapons manipulation/ safety handling, etc
    out to at 15 yards. I remember one qual where we shot to 25 yards.

Seems to me a little tightening up with the new regs is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yet there still isn't blood flowing in the streets and we now have 25 states with permit less carry.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    @CaliGunner

Went out to the shed. Found stuff I forgot I had. Thought I’d share this with you. This poncho was my granddad’s, navy. I have no idea of the date. He enlisted maybe 1916 or 1918. Retired after 30 years as grand master chief boatsmans mate. 2 random years as us Marshall for some reason.

5F23229E-C53E-4506-A0A2-D86689D4D940.jpeg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Someone else commented on me mentioning the CA requirements (which included reloading a mag) and they said "It was a barrier and whoever thought it up was no friend of 2A" to which I disagreed with because I believe being able to reload a mag is part of being proficient with a handgun.

I never said Texas should be like California and you will never read that from me.
    Show us where that's a requirement to carry a gun in Texas?

Then what was your purpose in even bringing the subject up unless you were just looking to stir the pot. If you're going to live in Texas, then forget about how things were done in California. As far as most of us are concerned it might as well ne a foreign country and no one here gives a rat's ass about California.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I definitely think they should be including reloads, not sure why it's not mandatory here.

25 yards sounds good too, we can call it the Dicken Standard. 10 shots at 40 yards, must score 8 hits. :laughing:
    Yup. The state prohibited places list needs to be significantly scaled back, 30.05/.06/.07 needs to be repealed, protections extended to permitless carry that currently exist for LTC. We need to look at LTC being the only requirement for anybody to carry in a school.
    Yep force of law on those signs needs to be removed. You can still be trespassed if asked to leave.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I definitely think they should be including reloads, not sure why it's not mandatory here.

25 yards sounds good too, we can call it the Dicken Standard. 10 shots at 40 yards, must score 8 hits. :laughing:
    That hole you're digging is just getting deeper and deeper. free advice: just stop before you get too deep.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Sorry for derailment. I got bored and started cleaning the shed. Caligunner requested to see my carrier.

Just a condor. I took my bags and a few pounces off. Leatherman mut. I remember a flashlight and can’t find it. Lol I think I still have water food and first aid in em.

C8307046-B8BD-4638-8C52-BFC57FCEB8CA.jpeg

E61D8141-4305-4E18-BE9C-4DC6BB9FEC6B.jpeg

I don’t remember if this other load vest is condor or not. Never really used it.

5A75B22A-15D1-4479-810B-AF9CC15D20F4.jpeg

Top Bottom