ARJ Defense ad

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Sorry for derailment. I got bored and started cleaning the shed. Caligunner requested to see my carrier.

Just a condor. I took my bags and a few pounces off. Leatherman mut. I remember a flashlight and can’t find it. Lol I think I still have water food and first aid in em.

View attachment 338034
    View attachment 338033

I don’t remember if this other load vest is condor or not. Never really used it.

View attachment 338035
    I think we’re ready for booog-loo.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    It helps provide money for conservation of wildlife
    Allegedly. What does the game warden actually do to protect the deer on my grandparents' ranch? The game warden protects them you say? Don't trespassing laws cover that? The game warden doesn't exactly camp out at my place, and the sheriff could just as easily be called.

Honestly, the hunters themselves, and landowners are the ones most interested in preserving the wildlife. The hunters on my family's place are very careful not to shoot all the deer, and in fact feed them more when food is scarce.

I think the only thing the king should be doing is prosecuting wanton destruction of game.

I know Game Wardens that I like, so this is not personal against them, but a philosophical difference based on my own observations.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Allegedly. What does the game warden actually do to protect the deer on my grandparents' ranch? The game warden protects them you say? Don't trespassing laws cover that? The game warden doesn't exactly camp out at my place, and the sheriff could just as easily be called.

Honestly, the hunters themselves, and landowners are the ones most interested in preserving the wildlife. The hunters on my family's place are very careful not to shoot all the deer, and in fact feed them more when food is scarce.

I think the only thing the king should be doing is prosecuting wanton destruction of game.
    Personally, I'll rat out a poacher in a heartbeat.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Just a condor. I took my bags and a few pounces off. Leatherman mut. I remember a flashlight and can’t find it. Lol I think I still have water food and first aid in em.

View attachment 338034
    Does the job.

Below is the only photo of me while across 13 deployments. Taken at Camp Phoenix near Kabul in Nov 2012.

RBAV carrier. Right shoulder is a single point sling, left shoulder is a monkey harness for helo ops. Soft armor + level IV plates. Out of the shot is an IFAK on the left side and an admin pouch on the right. On front row mag pouch there’s also a belt cutter. Too much crap but it was an admin move.

The M9 was not normally chest mounted, but we had MATVs which are/were a little tight so it made sense at the time for that and some other reasons.

dda9ce94cd0960ed42c85e90486d1642.jpg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Does the job.

Below is the only photo of me while across 13 deployments. Taken at Camp Phoenix near Kabul in Nov 2012.

RBAV carrier. Right shoulder is a single point sling, left shoulder is a monkey harness for helo ops. Soft armor + level IV plates. Out of the shot is an IFAK on the left side and an admin pouch on the right. On front row mag pouch there’s also a belt cutter. Too much crap but it was an admin move.

The M9 was not normally chest mounted, but we had MATVs which are/were a little tight so it made sense at the time for that and some other reasons.

dda9ce94cd0960ed42c85e90486d1642.jpg
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing Todd. I like the concept of a chest mounted handgun.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing Todd. I like the concept of a chest mounted handgun.

No problem. One challenge with hanging shît off the front is if you have to go prone which is why I staggered rifle mag pouches. The pistol up there really fûcks with the prone position so I only put it up there when we were doing primarily mounted ops.

If it was walk to work day, the pistol was usually inside my ruck unless/until we were going to assault and then it went on a thigh.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    No problem. One challenge with hanging shît off the front is if you have to go prone which is why I staggered rifle mag pouches. The pistol up there really fûcks with the prone position so I only put it up there when we were doing primarily mounted ops.

If it was walk to work day, the pistol was usually inside my ruck unless/until we were going to assault and then it went on a thigh.
    I wanted to ask about prone. When I set up my vest I was aware of what got mounted to the chest but wasn’t sure how ocd a guy needs to be. Probably just fill that space with mags.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I wanted to ask about prone. When I set up my vest I was aware of what got mounted to the chest but wasn’t sure how ocd a guy needs to be. Probably just fill that space with mags.

About prone. Getting flat to not get shot is a whole hell of a lot different than shooting prone using an assault pack to support your rifle. There’s some experimentation needed to find what’s comfortable. For a while I rocked a 6-wide bandolier instead of the double stack with an admin pouch on the chest.

Everything is a compromise and what works well in some conditions may not work well in others.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    You want to know something funny? I feel like my California CCW qualification group was full of very skilled shooters compared to my Texas LTC group.

In California, CCWs are extremely rare, some counties don't even issue them (not sure now due to the supreme court ruling in Breun). In the counties that did issue them, you had to have a credible "good cause" statement, and the range qualification seemed more complex.

You had to fire at 3,7, and 10 yards. BUT, you had to do an emergency reload in between shot strings. So the first drill would be like "fire 5 shots on mark, slide locks back, drop mag, load another mag, tap/rack or release slide, fire another 5 shots". Then it would continue. You had to get 25 shots out of 30 on target WITH the gun you intended to put on your CCW (yes in Cali, you had to have a list of guns on your CCW).

So overall, you had to show that you had familiarity with your weapon, enough so that you could do a reload on a locked back slide WHILE shooting, and continue shooting within the time limit. The mechanics may seem simple to people who shoot regularly, but to a newbie? Kind of scares me.

In my CCW group in California, everyone basically got 30 out of 30 shots on target. Very nice groupings too.
    1660188901040.jpeg

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Unfortunately, live fire is uncommon due to lack of time, traveling and current ammo prices. I dry fire multiple times a week since that can be done anywhere in private.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You want to know something funny? I feel like my California CCW qualification group was full of very skilled shooters compared to my Texas LTC group.

In California, CCWs are extremely rare, some counties don't even issue them (not sure now due to the supreme court ruling in Breun). In the counties that did issue them, you had to have a credible "good cause" statement, and the range qualification seemed more complex.

You had to fire at 3,7, and 10 yards. BUT, you had to do an emergency reload in between shot strings. So the first drill would be like "fire 5 shots on mark, slide locks back, drop mag, load another mag, tap/rack or release slide, fire another 5 shots". Then it would continue. You had to get 25 shots out of 30 on target WITH the gun you intended to put on your CCW (yes in Cali, you had to have a list of guns on your CCW).

So overall, you had to show that you had familiarity with your weapon, enough so that you could do a reload on a locked back slide WHILE shooting, and continue shooting within the time limit. The mechanics may seem simple to people who shoot regularly, but to a newbie? Kind of scares me.

In my CCW group in California, everyone basically got 30 out of 30 shots on target. Very nice groupings too.
    Again, trying to tell us Texans how it's done in California, and how you're someone special because you got a CCW there.

Here, we just call that a special kind of stupid!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I definitely think they should be including reloads, not sure why it's not mandatory here.

25 yards sounds good too, we can call it the Dicken Standard. 10 shots at 40 yards, must score 8 hits. :laughing:
    Why? In what percent of the incidents will a reload be required? The tiniest percentage?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom