Gun Zone Deals

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    You are right and a license is an infringement.

While we do and should push back on it and all infringements, it is relatively minor and mostly set up to allow us to have less infringement via the 4473 bypass.

Hence why the state made the LTC as low cost as possible and included a shooting proficiency test to also give holders reciprocity in other states.

The LTC is really a by-product of other infringements and is not an infringement in and of it self.

Not every hill is worth fighting and dying on. LTC, NFA those are in the "not worth it" or "not worth it yet" group i.e. the cost of complying to infringement is lower, and tolerable for now compared to getting 10y in Club Fed...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    Man, where were you earlier? You're far too measured, level headed, logical, and nuanced for this thread. This is a place for ad hominems only!

I think you need to leave sir. :mad:
    ARJ Defense ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I did a carbine course in Clarksville, Tennessee a couple of years ago, before COVID. It was taught by former CAG, and other team guys. $725 for 2 days and about 800-1000 rounds of ammo. There was a guy who flew all the way out there from Montana and he looked like a gravy biscuit with mash potatoes. The instructor basically told him he couldn't run the course, they would refund him. They let him know he was done for that day, and he would be a danger to himself and the other students if they let him do the course.

I remember feeling really bad for the guy, and felt the CAG guys had treated him harshly.
    Yeah, they might have been harsh but I've known of worse.

A couple of decades or more ago, I sought a rifle course. I needed something that was basically soup to nuts and I was willing to spend a week or 10 days anywhere to do it.

I found a course that seemed to have everything I wanted. It was somewhere in some mountains in Colorado, lasted a week, and cost $7000 which had to be fully paid in advance with all checks cleared at least a month prior to the course.

Then I read the fine print.
    • Upon reporting to the training location, attendees would be required to put on all their equipment and run a 5 mile (IIRC) course of rough terrain trails with significant elevation changes.
    • They had to finish within a par time that seemed pretty dadgum fast to me.
    • Anyone who failed to complete the run in the time allotted was kicked from the class and given an hour to leave the premises and not come back.
    • Absolutely no refunds.
    Now, that was harsh.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Yeah. So do I. But I don't judge them or even offer advice. They already know their situation and they already feel bad enough about it.

I'm not trying to "judge" anyone, I'm talking about in general, not towards anyone in particular. It's not personal. I have overweight people in my family, and I hate the thought that anyone would judge or discriminate against them because of their weight.

I read through your weight loss journey thread and I think it's awesome you realized you had a problem and dropped over 300 pounds, that's pretty amazing (almost book worthy).

I will disagree though that "they already know" or "they already feel bad", that may be your personal experience but it's not how it is for everyone. I used to work with an individual who was 320 pounds, and 5'5. Yeah, he was squat and wide. He also had type 2 diabetes.

When we would go out to eat, he would order a massive amount of food, and one day, because I cared for him, I gave him the "What's up" shrug and looked at his food order. He laughed at me, and said, "We all gotta go someday, right?" I don't know if that was a defense mechanism, or what, but he ordered a huge desert after, and I was pretty pissed at him.

You know what stopped him and made him eventually realize he had to stop eating like he was 20 years old? He almost lost his eye sight. Yeah. Woke up one morning, and had a huge black spot in his vision and it scared the shit out of him. He went to the doctor, got meds, hired a trainer, and told me to pick him up whenever I went to the gym, no matter the time (and I used to work late and go to the gym at 10pm and he would always go when went to pick him up).

So no, I don't think everyone knows exactly how bad their health is, and sometimes people go way too far before they do something about it (like almost go blind).

Last edited:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

A couple of decades or more ago, I sought a rifle course. I needed something that was basically soup to nuts and I was willing to spend a week or 10 days anywhere to do it.

I found a course that seemed to have everything I wanted. It was somewhere in some mountains in Colorado, lasted a week, and cost $7000 which had to be fully paid in advance with all checks cleared at least a month prior to the course.

• Upon reporting to the training location, attendees would be required to put on all their equipment and run a 5 mile (IIRC) course of rough terrain trails with significant elevation changes.
    • Anyone who failed to complete the run in the time allotted was kicked from the class and given an hour to leave the premises and not come back.
    • Absolutely no refunds.
    Now, that was harsh.
    Well, I'm out. I can't run 5 miles over variable terrain right now. I don't have the stamina, and my knee already clicks way too much from just normal walking around. So nopes on that course. :laughing:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Are we talking about joining the army or getting a LTC?
    When I was in the Army I did as the Army required. I'm no longer on Active duty.
    OP started this whole shîtshow with the premise that the shooting portion of the CA LTC is somehow better than the Texas LTC because it’s proves somebody is a “gunner”.
    I couldn't care less- what or how anything is done in california. I'll never enter CA, wish they would keep CA in CA.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Highly recommend a different grip module. I spent $70 on a WC grip module and it made a world of difference. Completely different gun, imho.
    I've been looking at the wc lower, but the stock grips lays perfect against my body and I'm worried it won't be as comfortable to carry. How much bigger is it?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I've been looking at the wc lower, but the stock grips lays perfect against my body and I'm worried it won't be as comfortable to carry. How much bigger is it?

Dimensionally, maybe .1” wider. The stock grips are flat, the WC has a slight palm swell.

This is an XL module.
    9b35dda075d270307908d601a1ecfd67.jpg

d85e9fb067b31fe1d2850127ff5a2b37.jpg

1e9e0e7c368b887b1c0ccd48733ba50b.jpg

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX

• Absolutely no refunds.
    Now, that was harsh.
    Just curious, what was the time? I ran cc in high school as a side sport and ran 3 miles in 15:12 @ district. 5 mile practice jog probably 30min. No equipment of course.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    When I was in the Army I did as the Army required. I'm no longer on Active duty.

I couldn't care less- what or how anything is done in california. I'll never enter CA, wish they would keep CA in CA.
    I went to San Fran a few years ago to see Alcatraz. HOLY SHEET. People flinging shit at each other, fighting in the streets, needles, tent cities. It was apocalyptic. It confirmed everything I believed in. CA was beautiful but the people there ruin it.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I went to San Fran a few years ago to see Alcatraz. HOLY SHEET. People flinging shit at each other, fighting in the streets, needles, tent cities. It was apocalyptic. It confirmed everything I believed in. CA was beautiful but the people there ruin it.
    My wife and I went in 2008 for our 20th anniversary. It was not like that then, it is sad what it has become.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    OP started this whole shîtshow with the premise that the shooting portion of the CA LTC is somehow better than the Texas LTC because it’s proves somebody is a “gunner”.

Then it devolved and OP said he wanted to have a real conversation on what should be included in the Texas shooting yet never really had anything to say other than to move the goalposts.

Then it changed directions to plate carriers and now it’s back to something like training is a good thing and everybody needs to chuck a $1000 to some tactical games weekend just to call themselves worthy of being a 2A supporter.

By the time you read this, it’ll change again.
    I think we're up to the point that OP expects a person to be a tactical operator in order to carry for self-defense.

This has to be one of the most Phucked up threads in a while.

Top Bottom