• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    It is always critical to know what is behind your target, but when you are being shot at, most everyone will concentrate on the shooter pretty much to the exclusion of everything else. And as the bad guy moves there's very little time for reassessing the background. Its not impossible to do, but it is very hard to do that while controlling your bladder (among other things).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It is always critical to know what is behind your target, but when you are being shot at, most everyone will concentrate on the shooter pretty much to the exclusion of everything else. And as the bad guy moves there's very little time for reassessing the background. Its not impossible to do, but it is very hard to do that while controlling your bladder (among other things).

This is true. But IMO this somewhat comes down to planning. Since the thread deals mostly with home defense, the subject means that we're at least familiar with the ground we'll be fighting on. If you plan properly, it means we're going to pick the ground we fight on pretty much down to the inch where the shooting is going to go on.

For example, my HD plan has me shooting at a steep downward angle into the dirt below my home.

Take a lesson from Wellington - being on the defensive means you get to pick the spot where the enemy dies.

Eagles1181

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Houston
    If you are going to have both Remington and Mossberg shotguns for protection then I HIGHLY suggest storing with a full tube, empty chamber, safety off and hammer down. That way you don't have to worry about which brand you grabbed, and where this or that button is. It is just a pump and go.

Eagle

Green Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Hurst
    I bought my wife a Bersa 380. Its light easy to shoot, even with a high end protection round. That, with some training and a license to carry, I am not worry when I work out of town

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Nah I think I'll get her the 870 20 ga for a bird gun/HD that way they both operate the same. And I have a spare 40 now so she will have a hand gun, but if you can get the shotgun it is by far the superior weapon.

Lobo_79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yeah I used to keep it loaded with an empty chamber, but for her, I just like the idea of her having that one more round. I'm just concerned about any safety issues that might pop up. I'm hoping to get her a 20 ga soon that she will be able to control a little better. I think a 20 ga with 00 and slugs should be good enough for snakes, raccoons, yotes and bad guys if the need arises. But for now the 12 will have to do.

The 20 gage is a good idea. I got one for my wife. This thing holds 8 rounds.

Attachments

• Win1300Defender_20Gage_2.jpg
      Win1300Defender_20Gage_2.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 247

Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    Isnt there some managed recoil loads in 12 ga.?
    good thread, an yeah every rural home in this Great state houses a shotgun. anyone attempting to enter ur home knows that...
    hmmm...they dont need a warning. home invasions take place mainly in the northern gun control states.
    nothing gives u a better warning than a good pooch, an ur shotty is an excellent choice for HD.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Isnt there some managed recoil loads in 12 ga.?
    good thread, an yeah every rural home in this Great state houses a shotgun. anyone attempting to enter ur home knows that...
    hmmm...they dont need a warning. home invasions take place mainly in the northern gun control states.
    nothing gives u a better warning than a good pooch, an ur shotty is an excellent choice for HD.
    Yes there is maneged recoil loads for a 12 ga. But home invasions around hear are on the rise and have been for a while. She was going to get a pistol but decided for now she would go with the shotgun.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    The 410 has been the womans shotgun for a long time. I just counseled a friend in cleaning up a Mossberg 183 CK 2 shot bolt action to work for his wife. Then he got a 12 GA Mossberg 500 Tactical with the AR style butt stock, and just keep it short in case she has to pick it up. You can swap out the regular barrels for ported barrels now too. I like the oh crap sound of the racking a S/G too. I've tried different places, over the inside of a closet door, in the closet, but now I just slip it under the bed. I suggest a ATI AR six position style stock, the attachable shell holder, and a new 18 1/2 " barrel, a barrel shield with built in ghost rings, and a universal mini-mag light holder with LEDS conversion. Push the button, rack the slide, both messed their pants but the burglar died. SKS Stocks, Shotgun Stocks, Gun Accessories (Winchester, Remington, Mossberg) by Choate, ATI, more

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't go .410 for home defense. I wasn't a big kid, and learned to shoot on a single-barrel 16 gauge at 12 and got an Ithaca M37 Featherweight in 20 gauge at 14. Handled both of those just fine.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I thought a .410 was designed so old farts could brag about outshooting us young'ins with our 20 gauges and our 12 gauges.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yeah, but at the same time nothing says F* off like a face full of any kindof shot.
    even if it is coming from a .410
    although i would still opt for a shotgun.
    right now im relying on my 9mm carbine.
    it corners soooo damn well!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    yeah, but at the same time nothing says F* off like a face full of any kindof shot.
    even if it is coming from a .410
    although i would still opt for a shotgun.
    right now im relying on my 9mm carbine.
    it corners soooo damn well!

A middle finger says the same thing, but I wouldn't expect it to stop someone who really wants to hurt me. You're not trying to send a message, you're using force to gain positive control of the situation. If you're going to rely on pain for that control, pepper spray works just fine as far as pain compliance goes. But when you break out the firearms, you want to be able to count on having something capable of stopping an attacker, even if he's really motivated or drugged up or both. The surest way to do that is to do a great deal of trauma quickly, preferably damaging or destroying their central nervous system.

"Might" and "probably" don't belong on the mat. Sun Tzu: "If a man knows himself and his enemy, he need not fear the outcome of a thousand battles." Key word there being "knows" as in "I know that 12 gauge 00B will anchor a mofo if I put it where it belongs".

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom